Tech Geek moving to the Villages questions on Internet

Closed Thread
Old 07-28-2021, 07:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The only downside to comcast that I've personally experienced, is having to renegotiate the price before your year of "discounted promotion" ends. Trying to talk with anyone there requires more patience than I have, so I end up annoyed by the time someone actually answers the phone.

I always get what I want from them though. It's just an hour of aggravation every year that I would prefer to do without.
I just gave up and left them because of their constant price increases. Interestingly, none of their salespeople made any attempt to have me stay.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
I'm an ex high tech geek in the IT sector for over 43 years. There is nothing liker fiber. I had 1000M AT&T fiber for over 5 years before moving here 2 weeks ago. I have a new house and I went with xfinity with 400M speed.
Most people don't realize that fiber is a much better transport than copper, it is quieter if streaming music, and with fiber, you get the same speed up or down. My 400M speed gets me 400M+ down (down from that during the day) and 20M up on a good day.
The other thing to watch out for is your house will probably not be wired for ethernet. My house, they used cat 6 cable but is terminated for phone (using 2 pairs of wire). You would have to get each cable re-terminated for ethernet.
Thanks I am in IT and I can terminate CAT 6 cable. Looks like most of the new homes are Smart Home ready which according to the realtor means they have 2 ethernet drops. I can likely work with that and add additional ones.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
I never talk to them (or Fios or DirecTV or Dish in those days) at renewal time. That's the biggest mistake. ONLY online. I always make sure I have 2 years "new subscriber" contracts by switching between my name and my wife's name every 2 years. Service has never been out for more than an hour when switching accounts, in fact last time (Feb 2021) never had any downtime. Been doing that without issue here and for as long as cable/dsl/fiber had been available up north when we lived there. Was a DirecTV MDU tech support trainer up north for 5 years so never paid for that anyway but learned lots of tricks.
Hi How are you able to get a 2 yr price plan? I am near Lake Deaton plaza using Comcast. My patio villa is a rental. I ask for a long term plan and they plan tell only 12 month is available. I play the cat and mouse game with them 1 year its in my wife's name and next year its in mine to get the promotional pricing. I have gone from $55 for 50mbps and 30 channels to $75 100mbps and 10 local streaming channel using my own roku. I would like too just get internet and use the streaming service Locast.org for about $60.00 a year. Comcast will not offer just internet only as a existing customer but as a new customer its available Spectrum I believe is available in my area now With Spectrum I would also have to play the cat and mouse game with them after 12 months
Its ridiculous what charge and they wouldn't give a long term pricing . I use a company here in Rochester NY which is fiber optic into the house a flat $50.00 a month forbase service 500 down and currently due to covid 500 up which I been paying for the 2yr I had the service none of this bs promotional prices
Leo
Old 07-28-2021, 07:48 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
...Note that Xfinity also has a 1.2Tb data cap so I also took their unlimited service which alacarte cost big bucks ($50iirc) but if you lease their modem it costs only $10 extra which is cheaper than using your own modem and paying the unlimited data fee by about 1/2. And YES, I do need the unlimited service for those who are going to tell me I don't.
EdFNJ: We're about to cut the Comcrap TV cable and keep "Blast Internet" with YouTube TV. How do you find out how much data we use each month?
"$50iirc" ?

TIA, Skip
Old 07-28-2021, 07:50 AM
Default Century Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
If you are in an area where CenturyLink has fiber installed, you can get 1GB service for a flat rate of $65 for life, no contract, no taxes, and they give you the modem.

I've had both Xfinity and CenturyLink. Both work very well. When my contract ran out, Xfinity raised my rate by over $50/month... and offered me a "deal" at only $25 more than I was paying. I declined, and got 1GB service for $10 less than Xfinity was offering for 200GB service.

I get 930MB speeds over a hard wired connection, and 560MB over wireless.

You don't need a modem for 1 gb fiber service, just a router.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:14 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES
Default xfinity special

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriS View Post
Hi I am a Tech geek. I am looking for a house in the Villages and hope to move in soon. I am SOOOO sad that I cannot get ATT&T Gigabit service in The Villages as I have had them for a few years now in GA and love the service. No problems and great price with free HBO Max as well.

Looks like the new houses seem to only have Xfinity so I will likely have to go with that but how are the speeds as it is my understanding with Cable internet you share with other customers so you are never really getting the Highest speed advertised.

Also if and when other services become available it is worth changing?

Thanks in Advance
took advantage of their special a few months ago. 400GB for $50/mth. works great
Old 07-28-2021, 08:44 AM
Default Fiiber Optic Internet

Century Link 1GB Fiber to your front door. tests at over 900 MB, sometimes as low as 250 MB at wifi laptop. $65/month.

Robotic customer service, but reliable in Oceola Hills.

No Wildwood City property tax1

Quote:
Hi I am a Tech geek. I am looking for a house in the Villages and hope to move in soon. I am SOOOO sad that I cannot get ATT&T Gigabit service in The Villages as I have had them for a few years now in GA and love the service. No problems and great price with free HBO Max as well.

Looks like the new houses seem to only have Xfinity so I will likely have to go with that but how are the speeds as it is my understanding with Cable internet you share with other customers so you are never really getting the Highest speed advertised.

Thanks in Advance
Old 07-28-2021, 08:45 AM

Check this out - AT&T vs. Xfinity: Compare Internet Service Providers
Old 07-28-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Thanks in Advance
Both spectrum and Xfinity have lousy service. They charge you to go to the box and it’s about $100. If you use the software that calculates the speed you will find all wifi companies here lie about the speeds. In 2 years my cable wifi for one TV went from 127 to 225. The wifi and cable broke down 10 times in 24 months. They also do not prorate your bill. If your service period runs one day over in the month you pay for the extra 29-30 days - no exceptions. The villages prewires for Xfinity however a technician needs to go to the box to convert to spectrum. I’ve had both companies up north however the worst experience in my life is in Florida! Wait until you try to use your cell phone here! If you use Verizon there are 4 companies piggybacking on their hardware and it’s just awful. I’m moving and relieved I don’t have to deal with either ever again. They’re so lazy here you can’t hand in your equipment you have to go to a designated UPS store. Buy as much of your own equipment as possible. The hardware here is also older than God.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Depending on where you end up, Spectrum might also be an option
And they are awful ! I had them up north they were fine but they are crooks here and you can call 5 times and get 5 different answers. No training
Old 07-28-2021, 09:07 AM
Default View data usage..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
EdFNJ: We're about to cut the Comcrap TV cable and keep "Blast Internet" with YouTube TV. How do you find out how much data we use each month?
"$50iirc" ?

TIA, Skip
Login to your Xfinity account, look at Devices> data usage .
Poke around a bit... all kinds of knowledge threin.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRMACK55 View Post
Both spectrum and Xfinity have lousy service. They charge you to go to the box and it’s about $100. If you use the software that calculates the speed you will find all wifi companies here lie about the speeds. In 2 years my cable wifi for one TV went from 127 to 225. The wifi and cable broke down 10 times in 24 months. They also do not prorate your bill. If your service period runs one day over in the month you pay for the extra 29-30 days - no exceptions. The villages prewires for Xfinity however a technician needs to go to the box to convert to spectrum. I’ve had both companies up north however the worst experience in my life is in Florida! Wait until you try to use your cell phone here! If you use Verizon there are 4 companies piggybacking on their hardware and it’s just awful. I’m moving and relieved I don’t have to deal with either ever again. They’re so lazy here you can’t hand in your equipment you have to go to a designated UPS store. Buy as much of your own equipment as possible. The hardware here is also older than God.
Hi when you said the cable was wired for Xfinity but the tech had to wire at the box for Spectrum. So I assuming that no new cable was run from your junction box into your house ? It is work done on the outside box? I agree both are crap The only advantage with Spectrum is if you have cable tv also and you have a home up north you can stream your Spectrum cable tv thru a app like on the Roku ( out of market) where as Xfinity you have to be in your Xfinity home network
Old 07-28-2021, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
If you haven't figured it out yet I'm in IT, don't really need an explanation. I think after 43 years on all levels I have a good grasp on what I need.

By the way those numbers are nice but not real. it leaves out much other data that is required to know what line someone needs.

Thanks.
I'm in the same boat. I currently have Fios, and can't work unless I have pretty close to gigabit speeds. I have 4-5 separate VPN connections with minimum throughput that have to be up that uses around 600mb plus all the traffic outside of the VPN.

Sorry Dewilson58- Your bullying isn't compensating for your lack of knowledge on this topic.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:07 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarAirlines View Post
Sorry Dewilson58- Your bullying isn't compensating for your lack of knowledge on this topic.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:37 PM
Platinum member
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
Login to your Xfinity account, look at Devices> data usage .
Poke around a bit... all kinds of knowledge threin.
Thanks, found it. We average 200-270 GB/month. (And we have been using YouTube TV for the last 2 months in preparation of cutting the cable.) I guess I'm good with their 1229 GB data cap.

Again "$50iirc" means what?

Skip
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, service, geek, tech, internet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.