Tell me about the Historical side and Orange Blossom.

Closed Thread
Old 01-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Default Tell me about the Historical side and Orange Blossom.

These areas seem to still be somewhat affordable. Can someone give me the scoop? Smaller homes? older homes? No amenities or rec centers? Unsafe?

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:08 AM
Veteran member

Wonderful! We are snowbirds from MI and have had our place for 6 years. Yes, they are older homes but many have been updated and are quite nice. Safe...YES! Even though we will be moving to a house in Feb, we will be missing all of our wonderful neighbors here. Everyone helps out whoever needs it and we have made so many nice friendships. Oh....and did I say the historic side is the MOST convenient to all shopping and Dr.s If you have any questions let me know and I would be happy to answer you.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

All villages residences regardless of where or how "old" they they may be participate in the same amenities as the ones built today!

The $100,000 home owners get the same benfits and lifestyle amenities as the $1,000,000 home owners.

What is most impressive to me about the historical side is the maturity of the landscape and environment. Like most home owners in TV people keep their properties in very attractive condition. The historical side has an unequaled beauty in that regard.

I live in the south of 466 area. My sister lived a couple of blocks from the Orange Blossom Country Club.

Yes the homes are smaller....which is by no means at all a negative. Just a fact! Hence less expensive. Another fact. Most with no bond.

The not so hidden (anymore) opportunity is to buy a manufactured home on a well located lot....remove the manufactured home and have a site built home constructed. New homw, new technology, in a beauriful neighborhood for much less than can be had any where else in TV!
Old 01-09-2015, 01:31 PM

We bought last year in the "historic" section (still makes me laugh when I say it!). We absolutely love it! The wide open spaces and mature landscape are important to us. What really convinced us though was the convenience of the location, the quiet of its isolation, and the very friendly people! It's a neighborhood where pensioners and millionaires live side by side and no one tries to impress anyone with what they do or don't have. It just suits us! But the best part about TV is there's something for almost everyone! I wouldn't want to be anywhere else! I recommend you drive around, visit all the rec centers and pools, and find what feels like home to you.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:17 PM
Veteran member

The "old" side has single and double wide manufactured home of several ages, BUT the villages has had some torn down and replaced with some site built cottage homes, there are a few older site built, also. prices range from 80,000 to a little over 200,000.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:28 PM
Smile

We bought a new manufactured home in OBG 5 years ago and we love it here. The lots are large and it is much quieter over here. The developer is buying up older trailers and replacing them with site-built homes. The area is definitely getting a facelift. We have rec centers, pools (some with hot tubs) and lots of amenities. We are a short cart ride to SS square and shopping.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:28 PM
Sage

I'm on the other end of town. It's known as the Hysterical Side. We laugh all day long.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
I'm on the other end of town. It's known as the Hysterical Side. We laugh all day long.
Sorry, but I'm confused by this statement. Can you explain? Sorry if it went over my head
Old 01-09-2015, 10:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieJo View Post
Sorry, but I'm confused by this statement. Can you explain? Sorry if it went over my head
It's just a play on words, historical and hysterical are a letter off. HS freshman find this funny but it doesn't always translate.
Old 01-09-2015, 11:39 PM

we moved here a few months ago and love it here, yes we have everything and more. it is safe and friendly. Come over and walk around some and you will meet lots of people who live here. there are quite a few new houses that the villages are furnishing now to sell them quicker.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Been here for almost three years. We have a very small manufactured home that has been updated and is very comfortable. I love my neighbors and the whole feeling of quietness on this side.
Orage Blossom Gardens is one of the three villages over here. The other two are Country Club Hills and Silver Lake. It is somewhat difficult to tell where one ends and the next begins. It all look the same.
Some areas are older than others and some homes are older than others. Some of the older manufactured homes have been torn down and replaced with either newer, larger manufactured homes or site built homes. The Villages is currently performing a rehab of the area and are buying up manufactured homes and replacing them with cottage style homes. These range in price from $180,000 to about $220,000.
It's called the Historic Section because this is where The Villages began. Back in the eighties, Harold Schwartz bought a small mobile home park called Orange Blossom Gardens. He began expanding it with little success. He brought his son, Gary Morse on board to help with marketing and development. Gary decided that all successful developments had amenities and built the first golf course and rec center. Eventually, they built pools and a country club. The oldest rec centers, golf courses and country club are in the Historic District. The Orange Blossom Hills Country Club and it's golf course , Silver Lake Rec Center and South Side Pool have recently undergone renovation.
The Historic District is very nice and getting better all the time. Yes, the homes are small. I think mine may be the smallest in The Villages at 756 sq ft, but there are only two of us and it's easy to maintain. There are much bigger manufactured homes and of course the site built homes as well as the brand new cottages that are much bigger.
The great thing is that those of us on a limited income have the ability to live in The Villages and have access to all of the same amenities as everyone else down here.
The thing that I find nice as well is that when I tell other Villages residents that I live here, I never feel looked down upon. Everyone seems to mix well and simply accept everyone for where they are in this time of their life.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:44 AM
Veteran member

ValerieJo, the other difference with houses in the historic district is that they're located in Lake County. It makes no appreciable difference to anyone's daily life, but they do have separate utility companies, tax rates, trash pickup, etc. The deed restrictions are also less restrictive than in the newer areas.

Sumter County encompasses the largest number of homes in The Villages, but there are parts of it in Lake and Marion counties as well.

Last edited by Halibut; 01-11-2015 at 05:52 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llaran View Post
The "old" side has single and double wide manufactured home of several ages, BUT the villages has had some torn down and replaced with some site built cottage homes, there are a few older site built, also. prices range from 80,000 to a little over 200,000.
Do you own the land with manufactured homes or just get to use it?
Old 01-10-2015, 09:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gap2415 View Post
Do you own the land with manufactured homes or just get to use it?
Yes, you own the land....no lot payments!
I would also like to say, after being snow birds living on the 'historical' side, we just bought a house in the Rio Grande area. We KNOW that north of 466 is the only place to be....SO convenient. I can zip back and forth to Leesburg and Ocala all day long if I want and it only takes me a few minutes to get to 466 or 441. We've always felt when we cross that bridge at Sumter to come back to the Spanish Springs area it is such a sigh of relief. Such a different feel over in these parts of the woods ;-)
Old 01-10-2015, 06:11 PM

We bought in silver lake about one yr ago .The house is just the right size for us and our small dog .The area is lovely with lots of mature tree's and landscape. It took some time to update the house but with the price we paid this was do able.I would not be any where in TV other then where we are.We enjoy the same life style the million dollar home occupants do and at this stage no one cares what you have .We are all here to enjoy this stage of life to the fullest.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.