Tell me it ain't so.....making more on unemployment than working now?

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2020, 08:09 PM
Gold member
Default Tell me it ain't so.....making more on unemployment than working now?

In these trying times many people are getting laid off. I am hearing that those who are, unfortunately, getting laid off now, are getting more on unemployment than when they worked their job under the CARES Act? Seriously! I heard one politician say a couple weeks ago, they can't fix the unemployment glitch but can send men to the moon!
Old 04-04-2020, 08:19 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
In these trying times many people are getting laid off. I am hearing that those who are, unfortunately, getting laid off now, are getting more on unemployment than when they worked their job under the CARES Act? Seriously! I heard one politician say a couple weeks ago, they can't fix the unemployment glitch but can send men to the moon!
I wouldn't want to trade places with them.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:27 PM
Gold member

I hear what you are saying but to get more money now than when they were working? Something is just not right. I work in healthcare, I get my hours cut with no pay or use your vacation time......and a don't forget to wear your mask when you come back!
Old 04-04-2020, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
You are suggesting that ALL are (actually will be) getting more on unemployment then they are making when working. That is absolutely not close to being true. There are SOME LOWER INCOME people who are getting the "benefit" of this glitch because in SOME cases their income is so low their UI is low and the UI + the $600 puts them above their original salary.

Using Florida as an example the MAXIMUM unemployment insurance (UI) benefit is a whopping $275 + $600 = $875 as the maximum they can get = about $45,000/year so I don't think that ALL will be getting more unless EVERYONE makes less than $45/K year. In some states UI is more and in some less. So do the math.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:38 PM
Gold member

Thanks for clearing this up, I was waiting for someone to enlighten me. Whew!
Old 04-04-2020, 09:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,437 Times in 3,081 Posts

Unemployment is only for 26 weeks. As far as I know there is no current federal extension. So the most anyone could possibly get from unemployment in Florida, including the $600 addition, would be $22,750 for the year.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:13 AM

Would you prefer that people in poverty suffer more? Have a heart
Old 04-05-2020, 05:25 AM

If one is worried about getting more under the CARE act than they deserve, perhaps the 50 billion to Boeing might make you think a bit. The will take that money ONLY IF the federal government has NO say on how it is spent...including multi-million salary packages, huge stock dividends, stock buybacks, et al. I would rather that extra 600 bucks go to someone who is probably going to spend that money on essentials including groceries, utilities, rent, etc. Those expenditures by the 600 folks will stir up the economy than the fat cat at Boeing who will just stash it away and not spend it. Seems to me if we are going to spend (invest) 50 billion dollars, we should at least have a say in how it is spent!
Old 04-05-2020, 05:31 AM

Many of our retail, hotel and other workers in Lake, Sumter and Marion County earn well below $11 an hour for a 35 hour week (if they get to work every day). To those individuals this will be a big help.. it might price them out of SNAP benefits and they might stop receiving employer insurance.. it'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. Hope everyone stays as safe as possible.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I think by reading these posts people are off on their thinking. There are many working in and around TV making less than 45K including those working for The Villages. Your clothing store workers, restaurant workers, grocery & gas stations, doctors office etc.
45k is only $865/week. Aldi is probably the highest paying market around at a little over $13/hr. so figure it out. Talk to some of the people working here or look online at the help wanted adds. Yea I can believe they're making more with the extra unemployment.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:04 AM
Default FL Unemployment Web Site Disaster

You can only collect if you can file successfully. I’ve been trying to register for benefits on the web site and it won’t process. I call the number and can’t get thru. Now I heard they are going back to paper applications but that will take weeks. Somebody needs to fix this site.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:04 AM

I thought it federal aid was extended for 39 weeks
Old 04-05-2020, 06:12 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
I think by reading these posts people are off on their thinking. There are many working in and around TV making less than 45K including those working for The Villages. Your clothing store workers, restaurant workers, grocery & gas stations, doctors office etc.
45k is only $865/week. Aldi is probably the highest paying market around at a little over $13/hr. so figure it out. Talk to some of the people working here or look online at the help wanted adds. Yea I can believe they're making more with the extra unemployment.
Right, agree. I am one of these making far less than 45K. Believe me this is no woe is me, I love my job in healthcare, been in it a number of years. I see how quickly lives can change with just one test. Am always amazed at how polite people can be at possibly the worst times of their lives. Many are an inspiration, this is why I stay in the field. Sorry to get off topic here a bit but I am speaking my reality. Back to the topic, know 4 people furloughed, not by my employer who is not doing this, that will make much more not working.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:23 AM
Gold member

I don’t know what the right amount is but I’m always amazed that none of the posters mention our taxes are not paying for this but it is being billed directly to our grandchildren.
Old 04-05-2020, 06:31 AM

Just remember , it is you and I who are paying for this . Always when dealing with government , remember they are spending money they took from you!
Closed Thread

Tags
unemployment, laid, politician, couple, hear

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.