Tell me it ain't so.....making more on unemployment than working now?

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2020, 06:48 AM
Default Money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harlan View Post
Just remember , it is you and I who are paying for this . Always when dealing with government , remember they are spending money they took from you!
For the common good or do you not care about the common good?
Old 04-05-2020, 06:49 AM

The Villages has the the highest rate of the working poor in the country. Most jobs here are part time. Why are we, totally retired, getting $1200? Yea I lost a bundle in my 401k, some people call it the 409k, sooooo
Old 04-05-2020, 06:50 AM

Deb- Yes there is a small chance of anything but remembering that a virus is an intracellular organism in basic science, do you think all of your virus scenarios can survive playing golf on a sunny hot day with ultraviolet light, dryness, and heat?
Old 04-05-2020, 06:57 AM
Veteran member

The extra $$$ they will receive will be for only 4 months, hopefully when this crisis ends and everyone can get back to work.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:15 AM

From a New York Times article:

The bill provides all eligible workers with an additional 13 weeks. So participants in states with 26 weeks would be eligible for a total of 39 weeks. The total amount cannot exceed 39 weeks, but it may be shorter in certain states.

I’m already receiving unemployment benefits. Will I receive any help?

Yes. Even if you’re already receiving unemployment benefits for reasons unrelated to the coronavirus, your state-level benefits will still be extended by 13 weeks. You will also receive the extra $600 weekly benefit from the federal government.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,845 Times in 778 Posts

Quote:
Just remember , it is you and I who are paying for this . Always when dealing with government , remember they are spending money they took from you!
You are completely right. BUT! This is different, wildly different, from the usual handout. I hear, for example, that there are about 100 restaurants in or around The Villages. Most are closed right now, or barely open, and making a small percentage of their usual income. Their employees are unemployed or employed essentially as a gift as they stay at home. All of these restaurants have a lot of monthly bills to pay, and they aren’t paying them right now. Imagine if when this is over 80 of those restaurants are not able to reopen. Likewise, a lot of the businesses around TV that you use can’t reopen because they are too far in the red. Yes, eventually other restaurants and businesses would open, but from scratch, and they’d have to find new employees. Meanwhile, how do those employees eat and pay their bills? Your standard of living at TV would drop, and there would be a lot more hungry, suffering people in the tri-County area.

I hate to use $2 Trillion for this, but it is crucial, and we will need a lot more right away. The alternative is another Great Depression that lasts years. I prefer that the government give our money to businesses so they can pay their employees who are not working right now. That way, when the businesses reopen, the employees can be back on the job at once, and the businesses can survive. (My two sons are both sitting at home at full pay, very grateful to their employers. I’m grateful, too. They have years of experience that they will bring back to their jobs.)

Most of my income is from my retirement funds, and those are way down. I don’t like that. But if the government handles this right, the market will zoom up given half a chance, and the loss will be less. If there is another Great Depression, my life will definitely change, and I may need to sell my home in TV. If I do, and several thousand other people do, what happens to your home values? We need to gladly pay whatever necessary to avoid this.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:19 AM

My thought exactly!
Old 04-05-2020, 07:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I work with 187 in OR, and periop. Only a few are there for emergency cases only. You have to use your CTO. No furlough, ages from 23 to 67. So far everyone is paying for their health insurance, and no unemployment.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:25 AM

Your grand kids will pay for this not you. Government is just borrowing money and pay it back in the future. ha
Old 04-05-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianalea View Post
My thought exactly!
In case you didn’t realize it, unless you either quote someone or paraphrase what they said, no one has any idea what it is you are agreeing to.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
You are suggesting that ALL are (actually will be) getting more on unemployment then they are making when working. That is absolutely not close to being true. There are SOME LOWER INCOME people who are getting the "benefit" of this glitch because in SOME cases their income is so low their UI is low and the UI + the $600 puts them above their original salary.

Using Florida as an example the MAXIMUM unemployment insurance (UI) benefit is a whopping $275 + $600 = $875 as the maximum they can get = about $45,000/year so I don't think that ALL will be getting more unless EVERYONE makes less than $45/K year. In some states UI is more and in some less. So do the math.
AND.... don't forget this is tax free in most cases
Old 04-05-2020, 07:51 AM

People, please remember. The government gets revenue from people paying payroll taxes and from business taxes. If few are working and businesses have few customers, then the government is not collecting much in the way of taxes, but still has expenses. If you put money in the hands of people who earn little (as opposed to billionaires), they will spend it. As that money works it’s way through the economy, it gets taxed multiple times. So, the government will receive more in the end than it “gave away.” It’s Trickle Up economics, which, unlike Trickle Down, actually works and makes the economy stronger. A stronger economy will replenish the treasury. Without it, the treasury would gradually run out of money.

These are not handouts—this is a stimulus package.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:53 AM

It's an indictment of the wages paid in the state that some get more on unemployment than at their work. And it's only temporary. They lost their jobs through no fault of their own. Yet I see people here who begrudge them this benefit. The alternative is that they can not pay their bills and become homeless. Have you thought of that?

And do you call yourselves Christians?
Old 04-05-2020, 07:57 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,772 Times in 512 Posts

Quote:
I'm no liberal by any means, but we all need to understand that EVERYONE is affected by the economy. Check your 401K balance (which many lower income folks don't even have) then understand your paper losses stand a better chance of recovery if the low wage earners can participate in the comeback. The $600 isn't charity, it is an economic investment by the government.

As I wrote earlier, I sure wouldn't want to swap places with anyone getting the $600 payments. And I sure hope those who get it will be able to survive a little longer and more comfortable until they get their jobs back.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:59 AM

The law passed covers all states. However each state has different levels of unemployment compensation. Some pay more than average some pay less. It was the only fair and equitable way and the quickest considering how long it took the House of Representatives to move.
Closed Thread

Tags
unemployment, laid, politician, couple, hear

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.