Tell me it ain't so.....making more on unemployment than working now?

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2020, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
In these trying times many people are getting laid off. I am hearing that those who are, unfortunately, getting laid off now, are getting more on unemployment than when they worked their job under the CARES Act? Seriously! I heard one politician say a couple weeks ago, they can't fix the unemployment glitch but can send men to the moon!

There may be situations where someone takes in a little more than they would have by working...but this is short term, eventually they will go back to work

hand outs are nice, but eventually you run out of other people's money

Do you really need the $1200 stimulus check that you'll be getting? Doubtful if you live in TV

Mine is going to a food bank that will be helping the very same people that you think may be getting just a little more $$$$ on unemployment than if they were working

they were just getting by anyway...just like the folks that pick potatoes in your home state of Maine for low wages, or trap lobsters
Old 04-05-2020, 08:12 AM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
You are suggesting that ALL are (actually will be) getting more on unemployment then they are making when working. That is absolutely not close to being true. There are SOME LOWER INCOME people who are getting the "benefit" of this glitch because in SOME cases their income is so low their UI is low and the UI + the $600 puts them above their original salary.

Using Florida as an example the MAXIMUM unemployment insurance (UI) benefit is a whopping $275 + $600 = $875 as the maximum they can get = about $45,000/year so I don't think that ALL will be getting more unless EVERYONE makes less than $45/K year. In some states UI is more and in some less. So do the math.
you are right on - we need to stop the directive of don't give anybody anything - let's all help those who need it most.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harlan View Post
Just remember , it is you and I who are paying for this . Always when dealing with government , remember they are spending money they took from you!
Base unemployment insurance is paid for by employers to state
Old 04-05-2020, 08:35 AM
Veteran member
Default more $ in unemployment than by working

Yes, a worker in TV told me he was asked to come back to work and said no thanks. Why? Because he made more on unemployment than on the job. So of course anyone in this situation would take advantage of a 39 week vacation. Why not?
Old 04-05-2020, 08:49 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harlan View Post
Just remember , it is you and I who are paying for this . Always when dealing with government , remember they are spending money they took from you!
Well, they are not going to give it back to us. They are going to spend it somehow. I can think of a lot worse ways they could spend it, and they no doubt will.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Unemployment is only for 26 weeks. As far as I know there is no current federal extension. So the most anyone could possibly get from unemployment in Florida, including the $600 addition, would be $22,750 for the year.
Florida the max UI is 13 weeks, no extensions. If you're still unemployed after a year you can file a new claim. I know this because I was on FL UI last summer.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbajeda View Post
It's an indictment of the wages paid in the state that some get more on unemployment than at their work. And it's only temporary. They lost their jobs through no fault of their own. Yet I see people here who begrudge them this benefit. The alternative is that they can not pay their bills and become homeless. Have you thought of that?

And do you call yourselves Christians?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I'm no liberal by any means, but we all need to understand that EVERYONE is affected by the economy. Check your 401K balance (which many lower income folks don't even have) then understand your paper losses stand a better chance of recovery if the low wage earners can participate in the comeback. The $600 isn't charity, it is an economic investment by the government.

As I wrote earlier, I sure wouldn't want to swap places with anyone getting the $600 payments. And I sure hope those who get it will be able to survive a little longer and more comfortable until they get their jobs back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorbill1 View Post
you are right on - we need to stop the directive of don't give anybody anything - let's all help those who need it most.
I am an old great grandfather who still cannot grasp that there are those who grew up in the same era as I, who are relatively secure living in a place like TV, who would ‘begrudge’ those caught up in an unprecedented pandemic worsened by initial inaction and lack of preparation a little support for the common good. For that matter, do they even remember the concept of ‘the common good’?

Kudos to posters like those quoted here as well as many others who may have very differing views on other matters but who nonetheless have not closed their minds and hearts to human compassion and understanding. This is not the same as running up the national debt for unnecessary wars (a strange phrase) or huge corporate bailouts; this is for folks to be able to help put food on their tables and keep a roof overhead during the pandemic—in some cases the very individuals that might otherwise serve you in a local restaurant, work on your landscaping, or clean the medical offices where you get your care (through Medicare?).... Given what we are dealing with, the immediate issue is not economics; it’s humanity.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:11 AM
Veteran member

If you heard it from a politician it must be true
Old 04-05-2020, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
Yes, a worker in TV told me he was asked to come back to work and said no thanks. Why? Because he made more on unemployment than on the job. So of course anyone in this situation would take advantage of a 39 week vacation. Why not?
Of course there will always be outliers, but you don't want to be throwing out the baby with the bathwater and deny all those in need because of those few cases.

No-one wants to be out of work, and we all want to return to a normal life as quickly as possible. Putting money into the hands of those who need it and are much more likely to spend it is the best use of the stimulus. Anyone who gets more from unemployment than they would get from working is obviously in a low paying job - they are far more likely to spend. Let them enjoy that (very) little benefit.

We have to look at the bigger picture IMO. This is a stimulus package, and the more people spend the more taxes will be paid and the government will re-coup.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:21 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
If you refuse to go back to work, you lose your unemployment. Employers must verify a person is still unemployed and not offered a job back.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackhawksFan View Post
Florida the max UI is 13 weeks, no extensions. If you're still unemployed after a year you can file a new claim. I know this because I was on FL UI last summer.
You can receive anywhere between 12 and 23 weeks of unemployment benefits, depending on the rate of unemployment in the state (that's how it works in Florida, not true for much of the rest of the country). I thought it was the full 26 weeks offered in other states.

But it definitely isn't a set max of 13 weeks.

Then add the new extension just provided by the Fed, and it's going to be 26+ weeks.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
The worker in TV was not very bright. Either that, or you're making this up.

He will lose his unemployment benefits, AND he risks fines and penalties and repayment requirements if he is caught refusing to return to work.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:04 AM

So you lost your job because you tested positive for the virus?
Old 04-05-2020, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbajeda View Post
It's an indictment of the wages paid in the state that some get more on unemployment than at their work. And it's only temporary. They lost their jobs through no fault of their own. Yet I see people here who begrudge them this benefit. The alternative is that they can not pay their bills and become homeless. Have you thought of that?

And do you call yourselves Christians?
While I don't call myself Christian because I am not (there are other religions out there) I agree with your comment 100%
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
I hear what you are saying but to get more money now than when they were working? Something is just not right. I work in healthcare, I get my hours cut with no pay or use your vacation time......and a don't forget to wear your mask when you come back!
I agree but the purpose of all this spending is not so much to help particular people but to provide liquidity to the economy and maintain social order.
Closed Thread

Tags
unemployment, laid, politician, couple, hear

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.