Tell me it ain't so.....making more on unemployment than working now?

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2020, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
Yes, a worker in TV told me he was asked to come back to work and said no thanks. Why? Because he made more on unemployment than on the job. So of course anyone in this situation would take advantage of a 39 week vacation. Why not?
WOW! Where do you get 39 weeks? 12 weeks in FL. So for 12 weeks he will be RICH RICH RICH! Maybe he should invest in the market or buy gold. After his 12 weeks of crazy wealth collecting $275 + $600 and going on trips and buying Apple stock he will (as of now) be back to ZERO because he will no longer be on unemployment. You only get the $600 while you are collecting unemployment. 12 weeks! Such a windfall!

Florida Unemployment Benefits | Reemployment Assistance
From above State of FL website: The state determines your weekly benefit payments based on your previous earnings during employment. In 2020, you can receive a maximum of $275 per week for 12 weeks. You are entitled to a maximum benefit amount of $3,300.
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:56 AM

It's true that the average minimum wage worker will likely receive more money though employment than they earned working.

Keep in mind the the extra $600.00 is only through July 31st (12 weeks) then the worker are back to normally unemployment. Also I read unemployment has been extended to 36 weeks.

One last thought. The $600.00 is partly meant to help stimulate the economy. If people have a little extra to spend they spend it, which is good for all of us. We need to keep businesses open and people employed when this is over.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:00 AM

Does it really matter in these grave times that someone might benefit (like the poor)!
Life will (has) changed as we know it!!
Old 04-05-2020, 11:50 AM
Veteran member

The monetary help people are getting will go to corporations to pay for mortgages, auto-loans, groceries, healthcare, etc. No one will be buying frivolous junk. The corporations will also be getting monetary help, even those that paid no taxes last year. In the end, corporations will end up with it all. Jut sayin'.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:26 PM

The way i understand it is, you may recieve an extra $600 a week up to but not beyond what your weekly salary would be. For example if your weekly salary $700 and your unemployment benefit is $300 you will only receive an extra $400 to make up the difference for lost wages, if tour salary is $1500 a week and your unemployment benefit is $700 you would receive the whole $600.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I work with 187 in OR, and periop. Only a few are there for emergency cases only. You have to use your CTO. No furlough, ages from 23 to 67. So far everyone is paying for their health insurance, and no unemployment.
I am in this healthcare boat, too, different job tho, not much above minimum wage. Cut hours, can use PTO if you have it, if not, no unemployment, no pay...……...ugh. It is a field I chose, love my patients and my job. Just, at the moment, it doesn't feel too good. This too shall pass and we will come out of it on the other side OK, I hope. We are not alone, so many of us in the same position.
Old 04-05-2020, 01:47 PM

Not true.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:11 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouGraf View Post
The way i understand it is, you may recieve an extra $600 a week up to but not beyond what your weekly salary would be. For example if your weekly salary $700 and your unemployment benefit is $300 you will only receive an extra $400 to make up the difference for lost wages, if tour salary is $1500 a week and your unemployment benefit is $700 you would receive the whole $600.
Nope. Not correct.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:33 PM

The state of FL pays the lowest rate of unemployment in the country. Why aren't people complaining about that? In times like this that extra $600 will be poured back into the economy not go to Boeing stock buybacks.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Unemployment is only for 26 weeks. As far as I know there is no current federal extension. So the most anyone could possibly get from unemployment in Florida, including the $600 addition, would be $22,750 for the year.
Actually not correct. Unemployment in different states may be more as some can reapply if they prove they have attempted to get a job. Unemployment also has different benefits state to state, lowest around Fl $275 and high around $600.
The $600 weekly addition is for EXACTLY 4 months ONLY.
Unemployment is taxable at Federal level (unlike the stimulus most will be receiving) but may or may not be taxable at state level. Due to incredible number of online applications and old systems, it can take hours, and sometimes not working at all to apply. Most systems are so slow and crash so often that those out of work have had trouble even entering their case. They all deserve the $600 for 4 months.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:47 PM

If you remember "Andrew Yang for president" he advocated $1,000 for everyone arguing most of it will go right back to the economy. I bet those $600 will also go right back to our economy as well, not to APPLE stock.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:50 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
There may be situations where someone takes in a little more than they would have by working...but this is short term, eventually they will go back to work

hand outs are nice, but eventually you run out of other people's money

Do you really need the $1200 stimulus check that you'll be getting? Doubtful if you live in TV

Mine is going to a food bank that will be helping the very same people that you think may be getting just a little more $$$$ on unemployment than if they were working

they were just getting by anyway...just like the folks that pick potatoes in your home state of Maine for low wages, or trap lobsters
Good comments. Yes, I do need the stimulus check. My healthcare employer cut hours with no unemployment opportunities to make up those hours or funds. I make just above minimum wage. Do I live in The Villages, yes. My home is modest, I have worked hard, like most of us in The Villages and will likely go to full retirement age before I collect social security. Because I live here does not mean I am wealthy. Yup, I am getting by just like the folks who pick the potatoes in my home State. We are tough and know what we have to do to survive.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,426 Times in 3,080 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnberg View Post
Actually not correct. Unemployment in different states may be more as some can reapply if they prove they have attempted to get a job. Unemployment also has different benefits state to state, lowest around Fl $275 and high around $600.
The $600 weekly addition is for EXACTLY 4 months ONLY.
Unemployment is taxable at Federal level (unlike the stimulus most will be receiving) but may or may not be taxable at state level. Due to incredible number of online applications and old systems, it can take hours, and sometimes not working at all to apply. Most systems are so slow and crash so often that those out of work have had trouble even entering their case. They all deserve the $600 for 4 months.
I was incorrect on two points: the 26 weeks, which I mistakenly thought was nationwide and doesn't apply to Florida - and that the $600 was spread out over the entirety of the unemployment benefits period.

There is no state income tax in Florida so no, it wouldn't be taxable on a state level here. The Florida unemployment system is encountering problems because it was designed intentionally to fail. The point of it being horrendous was to keep the unemployment numbers artificially low. You can say "see, Florida unemployment rate is very low!" because it's nearly impossible to file for it in the first place, so thousands of qualifying unemployed Floridians don't ever get to successfully file a claim.

Max Connecticut unemployment rate was $649/week, last year, and Connecticut had a 26-week benefit period. I had no idea this wasn't standard nationally.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
Yes, a worker in TV told me he was asked to come back to work and said no thanks. Why? Because he made more on unemployment than on the job. So of course anyone in this situation would take advantage of a 39 week vacation. Why not?
Piece of cake! The second a worker doesn't return to work when summonsed by his/her employer the employer is obligated to report that the now former employees answer about the return to work which will eventually shut off the unemployment to the person who didn't return to work. If they were overpaid until thing smooth out and because of the work load at The Unemployment Office and the situation we are in eventually they will be required to repay anything they collected after the call back to work occurred.

I think the worker you spoke to in TV was a STORYTELLER.

$275 a week for UI in Florida? Shameful! Give 'em the extra $600 a week till things straighten out. Better than having a family without the breadwinner. They could use a good night sleep and having a couple extra bucks is righteous.

To everybody aghast with their $1200, pennies from heaven, if you don't want it. Rock the world of the guy or gal who loads your car with groceries. Do something out of this world with it for someone in need.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
WOW! Where do you get 39 weeks? 12 weeks in FL. So for 12 weeks he will be RICH RICH RICH! Maybe he should invest in the market or buy gold. After his 12 weeks of crazy wealth collecting $275 + $600 and going on trips and buying Apple stock he will (as of now) be back to ZERO because he will no longer be on unemployment. You only get the $600 while you are collecting unemployment. 12 weeks! Such a windfall!

Florida Unemployment Benefits | Reemployment Assistance
From above State of FL website: The state determines your weekly benefit payments based on your previous earnings during employment. In 2020, you can receive a maximum of $275 per week for 12 weeks. You are entitled to a maximum benefit amount of $3,300.
99% of people would gladly accept a job over getting a little more $ from unemployment insurance for a limited time. I lost my job and it won’t be easy to find another one.
Closed Thread

Tags
unemployment, laid, politician, couple, hear

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.