Termite Contract

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2018, 02:22 AM
Gold member
Default Termite Contract

Being told that after 10-11 years of paying $85 a year for Massey Termite Insurance that it is expiring and I have to get resprayed at a cost of $330 to get insurance. Other option is to pay $85 with no damage protecion only Spray Termites after they appear. Anyone know more about this ? Did a TOTV search and it is all very confusing.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Just to clarify, you don't just "spray" for subterranean termites. They live underground in the soil and move up and down into your house slowly eating the wood and drywall materials. If you have these critters, they will never leave until you poison the soil under your house. The treatment process is expensive because you need to inject a poison chemical into the ground every 16 inches around your house, and in some locations, you may need to drill holes through the concrete sidewalk or garage floor because you need to create a continuous poisoned soil barrier around the house. Yes, you can inspect every year and wait until termites appear before treating the house. But, getting proper preventive treatment that is warranted for 8-10 years may give you peace of mind, especially when you want to sell your house. Termites can cause extensive damage to a house if they are not discovered early, and they are very good at hiding themselves from inexperienced people.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-10-2018 at 07:13 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:02 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Just to clarify, you don't just "spray" for subterranean termites. They live underground in the soil and move up and down into your house slowly eating the wood and drywall materials. If you have these critters, they will never leave until you poison the soil under your house. The treatment process is expensive because you need to inject a poison chemical into the ground every 16 inches around your house, and in some locations, you may need to drill holes through the concrete sidewalk or garage floor because you need to create a continuous poisoned soil barrier around the house. Yes, you can inspect every year and wait until termites appear before treating the house. But, getting proper preventive treatment that is warranted for 8-10 years may give you peace of mind, especially when you want to sell your house. Termites can cause extensive damage to a house if they are not discovered early, and they are very good at hiding themselves from inexperienced people.

I have a Block and Stucco Courtyard Villa and with very few places where the soil interacts with the foundation. As far as I know the treatment proposed does not involve drilling holes around my home and if it did I would certainly reject it since there has been zero evidence of any termite activity in all of my Villa Community. I also had all concrete areas painted and sealed every two years and it would destroy the look by having holes all around my home. Home was treated (Spray was incorrect term); when constructed 11 years ago. Subterranean Termites usually leave mud tunnels and there are none inside or outside. I have homes in NY and SC where I get the annual policy with an inspection not treatment. In NY I actually had a termite problem repaired by Terminex 12 years ago and they have not returned.

The fact that I am unable to get anyone to give me any credible information on this subject makes me feel very uneasy about relying just on the information from a Pest Control Compny. In fact, the more I think about it, the more it feels like a scam, especially for block and stucco construction. I have paid the $85 for 10 years and would continue paying it for the Insurance but without more credible information, which is the reason I posted on TOTV I will reject any other offer from Massey.

I would appreciate receiving any information from anyone who knows more about this than I do.

Thanks
Jack
Old 04-10-2018, 08:17 AM
Sage

I don't know anymore than you do except you can mail order Termidor and apply it around your foundation periodically. This is apparently the "good stuff".

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
I have a Block and Stucco Courtyard Villa and with very few places where the soil interacts with the foundation. As far as I know the treatment proposed does not involve drilling holes around my home and if it did I would certainly reject it since there has been zero evidence of any termite activity in all of my Villa Community. I also had all concrete areas painted and sealed every two years and it would destroy the look by having holes all around my home. Home was treated (Spray was incorrect term); when constructed 11 years ago. Subterranean Termites usually leave mud tunnels and there are none inside or outside. I have homes in NY and SC where I get the annual policy with an inspection not treatment. In NY I actually had a termite problem repaired by Terminex 12 years ago and they have not returned.

The fact that I am unable to get anyone to give me any credible information on this subject makes me feel very uneasy about relying just on the information from a Pest Control Compny. In fact, the more I think about it, the more it feels like a scam, especially for block and stucco construction. I have paid the $85 for 10 years and would continue paying it for the Insurance but without more credible information, which is the reason I posted on TOTV I will reject any other offer from Massey.

I would appreciate receiving any information from anyone who knows more about this than I do.

Thanks
Jack
Old 04-10-2018, 08:35 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,338 Times in 1,446 Posts

Does anyone know of an actual case of subterranian termite damage to a block & stucco home in TV? $85/125 per year renewals ads up to a lot of money in someones pocket.
Old 04-10-2018, 08:51 AM

SELECTING A TERMITE PROTECTION PLAN - UF/IFAS

Above is a link to University of Florida Entomology Department article about Florida termites. Its good information from a third party who is not selling anything. We chose to proactively protect our home with a contract (not Massey, but same thing and similar cost), but I can see how others might be willing to take the risk and save money upfront.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:08 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Does anyone know of an actual case of subterranian termite damage to a block & stucco home in TV? $85/125 per year renewals ads up to a lot of money in someones pocket.
Never heard of any. You would think that companies like Massey would be satisfied with the annual insurance fee of $85 but they are not. I feel that they play on fear and sell something to Villagers that is not needed. I cannot find one person in The Villages who can tell me why I should pay anything to a Pest Control company for termites or other pests for that matter on a Block and Stucco home yet I bet thousands of people pay it to Massey and others.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:14 AM
Sage

we pay an annual insurance fee/ with a free inspection--dumped Massey after the first year in TV
Old 04-10-2018, 09:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Never heard of any. You would think that companies like Massey would be satisfied with the annual insurance fee of $85 but they are not. I feel that they play on fear and sell something to Villagers that is not needed. I cannot find one person in The Villages who can tell me why I should pay anything to a Pest Control company for termites or other pests for that matter on a Block and Stucco home yet I bet thousands of people pay it to Massey and others.
When I bought my home it did not have a termite bond and protection plan in place. Inspector found no evidence of termites. I then had a termite protection company do the major injection around perimeter of home which cost a few hundred and includes a termite damage insurance bond. Then every year I pay about $100 for a perimeter spraying to keep the insurance bond in place. The main reason I do this is in case I want to sell the home I can show buyer that a termite bond is in place. Massey is not scamming you, it is normal that every 8-10 years the major perimeter injection must be done if you want to maintain the insurance bond. You don't have to do it, but its good to have it if you decide to sell.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:41 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I don't know anymore than you do except you can mail order Termidor and apply it around your foundation periodically. This is apparently the "good stuff".
Termidor is the brand name. Most pros use the generic, Taurus SC. Amazon has it
Old 04-10-2018, 09:45 AM

When we sold our first house here, we had to supply proof of termite protection in the form of the most recently paid termite inspection invoice. We did and sold the house. My guess is we would have lost the sale otherwise as the buyer would assume they would have to spend big $$ to get protection.
You should also be aware that most protection plans in TV are for "subterranean" termites only. If you have some that fly into your attic and start there, you are not covered. Massey offered an additional treatment last year for $300 (Designer price), so I am now protected against all wood destroying insects.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:49 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
When I bought my home it did not have a termite bond and protection plan in place. Inspector found no evidence of termites. I then had a termite protection company do the major injection around perimeter of home which cost a few hundred and includes a termite damage insurance bond. Then every year I pay about $100 for a perimeter spraying to keep the insurance bond in place. The main reason I do this is in case I want to sell the home I can show buyer that a termite bond is in place. Massey is not scamming you, it is normal that every 8-10 years the major perimeter injection must be done if you want to maintain the insurance bond. You don't have to do it, but its good to have it if you decide to sell.
I have the same plan which I bought when I bought my home however the building site was treated before home was built. Now my CYV has concrete around 95% or more of the perimeter so where would they inject anything? It is a myth, likely pushed by the pest control companies, that in order to sell your home a termite bond is required.i have never head of this anywhere I lived except for The Villages. Thanks for your reply but I am still unconvinced.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
we pay an annual insurance fee/ with a free inspection--dumped Massey after the first year in TV
I think that is smart. Which company do you use and will you have to retreat for termites in 8-10 years ?
Old 04-10-2018, 10:11 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdonze View Post
When we sold our first house here, we had to supply proof of termite protection in the form of the most recently paid termite inspection invoice. We did and sold the house. My guess is we would have lost the sale otherwise as the buyer would assume they would have to spend big $$ to get protection.
You should also be aware that most protection plans in TV are for "subterranean" termites only. If you have some that fly into your attic and start there, you are not covered. Massey offered an additional treatment last year for $300 (Designer price), so I amb
now protected against all wood destroying insects.
It is a Village Myth pushed by the Pest Control companies that a Termite Bond is needed to sell a home. Did you ever see a real estate ad saying “ Termite Bond in Place “? Every home sold, Bond in Place or not, gets a termite inspection paid for by the buyer, , required by banks for a mortgage, and if the buyer wants to purchase a bond at that time it is his option. I have not heard of a single case of a home infected by “ Flying Termites” This is used in a sales pitch for people who have Block and Stucco homes. In fact, if you Google “flying Termites” you will not get any information.

Do you know anything about FLYING TERMITES that you can share?

Last edited by villagerjack; 04-10-2018 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

If you sell your home to a cash buyer, you may not need a termite letter, but if the buyer gets a mortgage, the lender will almost surely require a termite letter. This has been the case everywhere I have lived. It appears that the $300 treatment that Massey is selling may not be for subterranean termites, but for other types of termites. The proper treatment for subterranean termites is to pump chemicals underground completely around the house. Having a concrete block house or concrete sidewalks does not make it immune from termites. Termites live in the soil under a house, and they can easily find a path up into the house to eat wood and drywall. They especially like to feed on drywall paper and wood trim, such as baseboards and window casings. I don't know how prevalent termites are in Florida, but they are a serious problem in Georgia and Virginia.
Closed Thread

Tags
termite, $85, insurance, confusing, termites

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.