Termite Contract

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If you sell your home to a cash buyer, you may not need a termite letter, but if the buyer gets a mortgage, the lender will almost surely require a termite letter. This has been the case everywhere I have lived. It appears that the $300 treatment that Massey is selling may not be for subterranean termites, but for other types of termites. The proper treatment for subterranean termites is to pump chemicals underground completely around the house. Having a concrete block house or concrete sidewalks does not make it immune from termites. Termites live in the soil under a house, and they can easily find a path up into the house to eat wood and drywall. They especially like to feed on drywall paper and wood trim, such as baseboards and window casings. I don't know how prevalent termites are in Florida, but they are a serious problem in Georgia and Virginia.
The $300 treatment was for other types of wood destroying insects including termites that fly into your attic through the vents. When Massey came, they treated the attic area of the house only, but my house is now protected no matter what bug tries to eat it.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:32 AM
Gold member

Quote:
If you sell your home to a cash buyer, you may not need a termite letter, but if the buyer gets a mortgage, the lender will almost surely require a termite letter. This has been the case everywhere I have lived. It appears that the $300 treatment that Massey is selling may not be for subterranean termites, but for other types of termites. The proper treatment for subterranean termites is to pump chemicals underground completely around the house. Having a concrete block house or concrete sidewalks does not make it immune from termites. Termites live in the soil under a house, and they can easily find a path up into the house to eat wood and drywall. They especially like to feed on drywall paper and wood trim, such as baseboards and window casings. I don't know how prevalent termites are in Florida, but they are a serious problem in Georgia and Virginia.
Where did you get your information about termites living underneath the house with nothing to feed on but dirt? Can you share it with us? If there is no evidence of termites would you drill into your living room floor to treat it ? Mud tunnels are made by subterranean termites and can easily be spotted by even an untrained eye. Point is I still have no reason at all to believe the Pest Control Salesman that my CBS home needs to be treated for termites. I cannot find any information at all on FKYING TERMITES. If they do exist, I would like to know how prevalent they are in The Villages and how many homes had damage from these flying termites.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:37 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdonze View Post
The $300 treatment was for other types of wood destroying insects including termites that fly into your attic through the vents. When Massey came, they treated the attic area of the house only, but my house is now protected no matter what bug tries to eat it.
Please tell me more about these FLYING TERMITES I cannot find any info at all. I have never heard of ‘ “other” bugs that ate homes in The Villages. Do you know of any you can share with us?
Old 04-10-2018, 10:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
It is a Village Myth pushed by the Pest Control companies that a Termite Bond is needed to sell a home. Did you ever see a real estate ad saying “ Termite Bond in Place “? Every home sold, Bond in Place or not, gets a termite inspection paid for by the buyer, , required by banks for a mortgage, and if the buyer wants to purchase a bond at that time it is his option. I have not heard of a single case of a home infected by “ Flying Termites” This is used in a sales pitch for people who have Block and Stucco homes. In fact, if you Google “flying Termites” you will not get any information.

Do you know anything about FLYING TERMITES that you can share?
ENY-211/IG098: Drywood and Dampwood Termites

All three types of termites exist in Florida, drywood (flying) dampwood, and subterranean. Is the risk large or small here in TV? That's your call. Have there been infestations here? Don't know but I have seen some tented homes that were being treated for something. Do some buyers want a termite bond in place before buying? I am sure some do. Anyway we are wasting our breath here as it seems you have made up your mind that it is all a scam.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts
Default Termite inspectuion IS NOT required for mortgage

Quote:
If you sell your home to a cash buyer, you may not need a termite letter, but if the buyer gets a mortgage, the lender will almost surely require a termite letter. .
Incorrect. Take it from the source HUD which underwrites FHA loans HUD Archives: HOC Reference Guide -- Pest Control (Page 1-23)

Termite treatment IS required for NEW construction https://hudgov.prod.parature.com/lin...ion-properties
Old 04-10-2018, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Please tell me more about these FLYING TERMITES I cannot find any info at all. I have never heard of ‘ “other” bugs that ate homes in The Villages. Do you know of any you can share with us?

Termite Swarm - YouTube
Old 04-10-2018, 11:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife View Post
ENY-211/IG098: Drywood and Dampwood Termites

All three types of termites exist in Florida, drywood (flying) dampwood, and subterranean. Is the risk large or small here in TV? That's your call. Have there been infestations here? Don't know but I have seen some tented homes that were being treated for something. Do some buyers want a termite bond in place before buying? I am sure some do. Anyway we are wasting our breath here as it seems you have made up your mind that it is all a scam.
I was trying to avoid that type of comment. I an honestly trying to find out any information I can about the risk of termites in my CBS home. I do not want to buy something just because everyone else does. I still cannot find out what a FLYING TERMITE is ? I am also very curious about what type of bug spray in the attic will last for 10 years and if it that powerful do I want it sprayed in my home and breathing it in especially when there is no evidence of any bugs at all. It does seem to me that some people are not very knowledgeable or just don’t care about what their Termite Treatment involves. I am not being critical but some may be embarrassed to know that they might have purchased something relying only on the information from the salesman and because everyone else has it.

BTW when I bought here 11 years ago O bought the entire Massey package and it was not cheap. Including GREEN UP. And the only thing GREEN That came up came out of my wallet into Massey’s pocket. Do I think there is a SCAM? I don’t know but I am very skeptical.

I hoped to get more information from some of the very smart people on TOTV bu so far .....nothing.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:26 AM

Just my 2 cents
I strongly believe that we are taken advantage off by many of the local "service" related people just because the smell of money They know that most people come from other parts of the country and even from outside the country they put the fear in all of us because they can . How many of the houses outside the Villages or similar communities do you think have a TERMITE BOND homes with low income people that make decisions on a weekly bases between food and bills And if you wonder I do not have a termite bond
because my block and stucco home is not a yummy termite meal
Old 04-10-2018, 11:43 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,950 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
I was trying to avoid that type of comment. I an honestly trying to find out any information I can about the risk of termites in my CBS home. I do not want to buy something just because everyone else does. I still cannot find out what a FLYING TERMITE is ? I am also very curious about what type of bug spray in the attic will last for 10 years and if it that powerful do I want it sprayed in my home and breathing it in especially when there is no evidence of any bugs at all. It does seem to me that some people are not very knowledgeable or just don’t care about what their Termite Treatment involves. I am not being critical but some may be embarrassed to know that they might have purchased something relying only on the information from the salesman and because everyone else has it.

BTW when I bought here 11 years ago O bought the entire Massey package and it was not cheap. Including GREEN UP. And the only thing GREEN That came up came out of my wallet into Massey’s pocket. Do I think there is a SCAM? I don’t know but I am very skeptical.

I hoped to get more information from some of the very smart people on TOTV bu so far .....nothing.
I posted an informative article by University of Florida which clearly explains what type of termites fly....drywood termites. Enjoy your rant, done trying to help you.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Incorrect. Take it from the source HUD which underwrites FHA loans HUD Archives: HOC Reference Guide -- Pest Control (Page 1-23)

Termite treatment IS required for NEW construction What is required to document termite treatment for new construction properties?
I wasn't talking about "new" construction. I was just saying that, if you sell your house to a "cash" buyer, the buyer may not require you to provide a termite letter. But, lenders almost always require a termite letter because they don't know if the house has termite damage present.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-10-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Where did you get your information about termites living underneath the house with nothing to feed on but dirt? Can you share it with us? If there is no evidence of termites would you drill into your living room floor to treat it ? Mud tunnels are made by subterranean termites and can easily be spotted by even an untrained eye. Point is I still have no reason at all to believe the Pest Control Salesman that my CBS home needs to be treated for termites. I cannot find any information at all on FKYING TERMITES. If they do exist, I would like to know how prevalent they are in The Villages and how many homes had damage from these flying termites.
Termites don't eat the dirt. They live in the dirt and use it for moisture. They travel or tunnel up into your house and eat the wood and cardboard in your house. These tunnels are not always easy to find. They only use dirt tunnels when they need to protect themselves from the light of day because termites cannot be exposed to the light. Sometimes, an entire section of a baseboard or window sill can be destroyed by termites, and you would never see it because they eat it from the inside and stop eating when they get very close to the surface. Termite inspectors will use a screwdriver to tap wood surfaces in the house to detect damage. The termites swarm and fly away once a year in the spring, so that their offspring can relocate to other areas. You don't drill into your living room floor to treat for termites. The drilling only occurs outside around the perimeter of your house, and sometimes in the garage. I am not trying to convince anyone to treat their house for termites. Just trying to explain how subterranean termites operate to cause damage to a house. Treating your house for subterranean termites by drilling is not a scam, but spraying your attic or other parts of your house for other types of termites may be a scam, and I would not do that.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-10-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:31 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
I wasn't talking about "new" construction. I was just saying that, if you sell your house to a "cash" buyer, the buyer may not require you to provide a termite letter. But, lenders almost always require a termite letter because they don't know if the house has termite damage present.
The first link is for existing homes. Termite coverage IS NOT required. Click on the link to see for yourself.

The SECOND link is for NEW construction, then it IS required.

Because loans are almost always resold lenders meet the HUD and Fannie Mae requirements, it is the industry standard.
Old 04-10-2018, 01:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
The first link is for existing homes. Termite coverage IS NOT required. Click on the link to see for yourself.

The SECOND link is for NEW construction, then it IS required.

Because loans are almost always resold lenders meet the HUD and Fannie Mae requirements, it is the industry standard.
I'm not sure we disagree. But, my experience is that it was customary and almost always required by the lender that a termite clearance letter be provided by the seller. And, I believe it was mandatory for all sales in Virginia, even for cash sales.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:00 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Termites don't eat the dirt. They live in the dirt and use it for moisture. They travel or tunnel up into your house and eat the wood and cardboard in your house. These tunnels are not always easy to find. They only use dirt tunnels when they need to protect themselves from the light of day because termites cannot be exposed to the light. Sometimes, an entire section of a baseboard or window sill can be destroyed by termites, and you would never see it because they eat it from the inside and stop eating when they get very close to the surface. Termite inspectors will use a screwdriver to tap wood surfaces in the house to detect damage. The termites swarm and fly away once a year in the spring, so that their offspring can relocate to other areas. You don't drill into your living room floor to treat for termites. The drilling only occurs outside around the perimeter of your house, and sometimes in the garage. I am not trying to convince anyone to treat their house for termites. Just trying to explain how subterranean termites operate to cause damage to a house. Treating your house for subterranean termites by drilling is not a scam, but spraying your attic or other parts of your house for other types of termites may be a scam, and I would not do that.

Thanks. I agree but Massey does not drill holes and treat to extend your contract. The $300 they want includes treating your attic which seems strange since the original contract was based on the treatment for subterranean termites. I prefer not to breathe in strong chemicals from my attic when there is no evidence of any termites or other bugs. Yet that is what they are selling if you want their insurance extended.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:04 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhabel2112@gmail.com View Post
Thanks for that however that is a swarm of subterranean termites not the type the Pest Control companies want to spray for in your attic to renew the Termite Insurane Contract. Confusing I know. I am still confused.
Closed Thread

Tags
termite, $85, insurance, confusing, termites

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.