Termite Inspections/Retreatment

Closed Thread
Old 10-16-2020, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

We dumped Massey and went to Dean's who does a much better and lower cost job.
Drop Massey and don't back.
1) Dean's has a trained dog to sniff termintes on your initial policy change to them. More than likely, you have none. Massey's doesn't do this, they just want a total retreat.
2) Each year, Dean's treats the property, not just inspects it like Massey did.

Massey's is the "Tire Choice" of pest control. They just want the $$$$$$$
Old 10-16-2020, 11:00 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EviesGP View Post
I, too, experienced the same as what OP stated, when I purchased my pre-owned home almost 2yrs ago. And, thanks to Toymeister(and some Google research), I also purchased a bottle of Taurus SC on Amazon. I was in the process of treating(digging), when I tore my rotator. I then opted to wait for rainy season to end, so I'm about to complete this now.
Toymeister, you said you're doing this quarterly? Are you actually trenching around your home(like recommended) every time? TIA.
I just use a soil auger for my cordless drill and drill some holes close to each other. I think they are 37.00 on Amazon. Ant treatment quarterly is on the surface.

On another home which I resold the buyer had the inspection done. I had been doing treatments as I described. I learned two things, having a regime of professional treatments were not required by any organization (lender) and the buyers had no problem paying for the inspection.

All told in four years I saved over 1,250 in warranty transfer and annual inspections. Self insuring relatively low risk items (the chance of termite infestation) is my song.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:03 AM

No one is saying what deans charge?
Old 10-16-2020, 11:47 AM

Massey charges us $124 for a Termite inspections. It may be based on how many services you have with them. We also have landscape applications, pest control, aeration and irrigation inspections
Old 10-16-2020, 12:27 PM

Does anyone else here find Massey's billing way too complicated to understand?
Old 10-16-2020, 02:49 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
First let's cover the cost of this process for its life 7years.

It is 2,403 for the treatment and inspections.

So what do you get? One treatment of Taurus SC. The smallest quantity you can buy is 57.95 from Amazon.

That one bottle will treat your home, your neighbors, your neighbor's neighbors.

I treat mine every three months, not specify for termites but for ants. It is sprayed on the surface and penetrates the soil. I do not know why ants require more frequent treatment.

I have posted this before and someone always wants to argue this. Believe me that is what the manufacturer instructions clearly state.

Termite treatment is like oil changes, every has an opinion but no one bothers to see what the manufacturer actually says.
You can't buy the chemicals that licensed pest professionals can. That is why you can spray every 3 months. What you can get is very weak. Massey uses Termidor which is not available to you. Also, the yearly cost is to pay for the insurance policy that will pay for termite damage if found.

Massey's termite treatment is good for 10 years. After that you have to have it reapplied.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:03 PM
Default Ken

If you have a stucco home about the only area you have to worry about is the furring strips behind the drywall and the ceiling joist, the rest is block n stucco which termites won’t damage.. The part you have to worry about is the inside petitions which usually are wood unless you have metal studs... Spraying the outside walls won’t stop termites on the inside walls and I believe the only way to protect the inside is by having Bait pods installed around your home... As far as spraying around the home you have to use a chemical that is designed for termites and I don’t believe that Home Defense will effect termites.. Probably good for ants etc but for termites I would go online and a product called Termidor is good for about 4-5 years... My opinion..
Old 10-16-2020, 03:08 PM

I had the bait stations put in . Just have to pay the yearly fee for the "insurance policy" We also have the bait stations in our house in NY. I'm not a big fan of pesticides.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
You can't buy the chemicals that licensed pest professionals can. That is why you can spray every 3 months. What you can get is very weak. Massey uses Termidor which is not available to you. Also, the yearly cost is to pay for the insurance policy that will pay for termite damage if found.

Massey's termite treatment is good for 10 years. After that you have to have it reapplied.
Taurus SC is Termidor and yes you can buy it.

I am getting out of the playing fetch game and providing a link to prove that I am correct. Look up termidor or Taurus SC for yourself on Amazon. Or anywhere on Google or Bing. It is the same strength and the same formulation. The US EPA approves strengths and formulations, they do not approve homeowners and professional strengths.

You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts.

I would appreciate some basic research before you say that I have it wrong,. More importantly spreading misinformation, thank you.

Last edited by Toymeister; 10-16-2020 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-16-2020, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Taurus SC is Termidor and yes you can buy it.

I am getting out of the playing fetch game and providing a link to prove that I am correct. Look up termidor or Taurus SC for yourself on Amazon. Or anywhere on Google or Bing. It is the same strength and the same formulation. The US EPA approves strengths and formulations, they do not approve homeowners and professional strengths.

You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts.

I would appreciate some basic research before you say that I have it wrong,. More importantly spreading misinformation, thank you.

"You are entitled to your own opinions but not your own facts." I'm stealing that..... hope you don't mind. Thank you for your informative posts. You have to remember some won't let facts get in the way of a good argument.
Old 10-16-2020, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,694 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:

I don't think that Massey buys an insurance policy for termite damage. Their contract only refers to Massey as being responsible to repair damage. So, they probably depend on their own assets to fund any damage that occurs.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:00 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote:

You can buy Termidor and get the same protection, it is readily available. Massey came to our home and told me the protection was only 5 years. I don't pay the annual fee and do my own applications.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:01 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't think that Massey buys an insurance policy for termite damage. Their contract only refers to Massey as being responsible to repair damage. So, they probably depend on their own assets to fund any damage that occurs.
Agree, with all the millions they get for this scam they can afford to be self insured.
Old 10-16-2020, 08:08 PM

Was just typing the same question. Our home is smaller; price lower; but still a significant outlay of $$. Figure we do want the treatment, but should we get other quotes?
Old 10-16-2020, 08:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,694 Times in 5,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcreason View Post
Was just typing the same question. Our home is smaller; price lower; but still a significant outlay of $$. Figure we do want the treatment, but should we get other quotes?
The two main companies in The Villages are Massey and Dean's. Both are good, reliable companies. There may be other smaller companies who will do a termite treatment, but I would stick with Massey or Dean's.
Closed Thread

Tags
termite, home, years, massey, prevention

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.