Termite Inspections/Retreatment

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2020, 10:45 PM

Can you please describe what you use as as a termite preventative and how is it applied
Old 10-19-2020, 12:39 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I treat the perimeter of my stucco designer myself every spring at a cost of $49.00. Can anyone state that there has been a home south of 466 documented that had a subterranean termite infestation? The answer is no. This is a scam, $200+ per year on 140,000 homes comes to $28,000,000.00 divided mostly between Massey and Dean's. And by the way it would be impossible to completely re-treat the interior wood that is behind your walls. Did they also try to talk you into a dry wood termite contract?
Yep, agree. $49 a year us also to treat once a year, very clean, simple, easy. We do also add the in ground steaks (another $49 to do perimeter of our large designer) as a "just in case... but truthfully, it's probably not at all necessary). Yes, many pest control companies and all sell quite a line of services and add on "contracts". But, don't try to tell that to some folks, they buy it all and that's the great thing about a free country We've been very happy with $49 to $100 a year, seems to work great. People say, oh you WILL be sorry, but hey, it's worked fine for 17 years. Must add we did have all the ground prep and treatment done when we built.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:45 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
First let's cover the cost of this process for its life 7years.

It is 2,403 for the treatment and inspections.

So what do you get? One treatment of Taurus SC. The smallest quantity you can buy is 57.95 from Amazon.

That one bottle will treat your home, your neighbors, your neighbor's neighbors.

I treat mine every three months, not specify for termites but for ants. It is sprayed on the surface and penetrates the soil. I do not know why ants require more frequent treatment.

I have posted this before and someone always wants to argue this. Believe me that is what the manufacturer instructions clearly state.

Termite treatment is like oil changes, every has an opinion but no one bothers to see what the manufacturer actually says.
Right on, like changing oil, everyone does have an opinion.... save your effort on here, those who feel much safer by signing these contracts will not forgo them due to anything you say or have experienced. Gives people jobs I guess, others think this may be a huge or dangerous job, though we find it rather quick and easy, and not at all messy.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:56 AM

Not true, I just got off the phone with Massey, they told me that their treatment is good for only 5 years. Coming out to inspect next week,,,we’ll see.
Old 12-22-2020, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tklloop View Post
Not true, I just got off the phone with Massey, they told me that their treatment is good for only 5 years. Coming out to inspect next week,,,we’ll see.
Massey's initial treatment and contract for new houses is only covered for 5 years. But, according to Massey, they will retreat the house after the initial 5 years, and extend the termite coverage for an additional 10 years. I got this information from Massey this morning.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:04 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Massey's initial treatment and contract for new houses is only covered for 5 years. But, according to Massey, they will retreat the house after the initial 5 years, and extend the termite coverage for an additional 10 years. I got this information from Massey this morning.
You will pay dearly for a re-treatment and it will not be as good as the initial treatment as it is done before the walls are up. What you will get now is an exterior treatment that you can do yourself for $50.00 per year.
Old 12-22-2020, 11:47 AM

Biggest rip off in Florida.
Old 12-27-2020, 09:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Deans did our house during building so we called them when we bought. The big thing you get is insurance. If you get damage from termites they cover the cost. We signed up for the termites and ended up adding total pest control for the house and have since added pest and fertilizer for the lawn and bushes. Basically everything is covered including weed control. Costs us $122 every other month but since we are only there 4-5 times a year we need to know things are being done.
Old 12-28-2020, 01:00 AM

What is the prework for termites that you mentioned you did upon building the home?
Old 12-28-2020, 08:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurawilcox View Post
What is the prework for termites that you mentioned you did upon building the home?
Interior wood is treated with copper sulfate before drywall and insulation.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:14 AM
Default The cost of repair termite damage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormaKW View Post
My neighbors had termites, did not pay a contract. Had to pay cost of repairs, treatments and now have a contract. I paid Superior services initially the cost of treatment and now they retreat free every 5 years. A good deal. Also inspect free whenever you want, as I did when neighbors had them. In the south it is not will you have termites but when. Keep it treated!
I’m not convinced one needs a termite contract in TV. Perhaps spraying once a year plus an inspection every few years is enough. We had termites in our Maryland house but the damage was only $300 to fix. We did not have a termite contract. We found out that there was a termite nest under the porch from the home inspector hired by the buyer. The inspector offered to fix for it was $800 but we got a much better offer elsewhere.
Old 03-14-2021, 10:27 AM

2403 what. $$ breakdown please
Old 03-14-2021, 11:10 AM

I too have just been informed by Massey that it is time to have my property retreated in order to continue my termite protection. The property was initially treated in 2014 when it was being built. That treatment is said to be good for 5 to 7 years. Massey claims that after 5 years if it is not retreated your renewal covers only the cost of the retreatment and will not cover the cost of any damage to your structure or furnishings. This statement is in direct conflict with their written brochures and guarantee which states that "so long as yuour protection is in force*, your property is protected for both retreatment and repair of new damages against subterranean termites." Furthermore, they define "in force" to be when your home is inspected inside and outside and your renewal is current. Effective April 2021 my agreement is set to renew automatically and the property has already been inspected. Despite this, if I let it renew without retreatment they claim I will not be covered for any damage. Rather than setting myself for an extended court battle in the event I should have an infestation in the future I am now scheduling quotes from other firms in the area. It has been an eye opening experience as to the differences in pricing, coverage and just their attitudes on whether it makes sense to pay extra for what they term full coverage including drywood termites, powder post beetles and old house borers. Some will flat out tell you you only need coverage for subterranean. Some recommend liquid treatments and others will tell you the baiting stations are the way to go. Either of these options mean more $$$$ upfront and an annual fee to continue coverage. Hopefully next week I should have everyone's quotes and be able to decide which approach makes sense to me. To me, even though I have owned numerous homes over the past 50 years with no problems with termites on any of them, it is piece of mind, insurance if you will, to have someone else responsible in the event there is ever an issue. Everyone needs to decide for themselves where they are comfortable and make your decision accordingly but I highly recommend shopping around and making sure exactly what you are purchasing or perhaps giving up in the event you decide to go the DIY route. I will keep you posted once my decision is made.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCMSr View Post
I too have just been informed by Massey that it is time to have my property retreated in order to continue my termite protection. The property was initially treated in 2014 when it was being built. That treatment is said to be good for 5 to 7 years. Massey claims that after 5 years if it is not retreated your renewal covers only the cost of the retreatment and will not cover the cost of any damage to your structure or furnishings. This statement is in direct conflict with their written brochures and guarantee which states that "so long as yuour protection is in force*, your property is protected for both retreatment and repair of new damages against subterranean termites." Furthermore, they define "in force" to be when your home is inspected inside and outside and your renewal is current. Effective April 2021 my agreement is set to renew automatically and the property has already been inspected. Despite this, if I let it renew without retreatment they claim I will not be covered for any damage. Rather than setting myself for an extended court battle in the event I should have an infestation in the future I am now scheduling quotes from other firms in the area. It has been an eye opening experience as to the differences in pricing, coverage and just their attitudes on whether it makes sense to pay extra for what they term full coverage including drywood termites, powder post beetles and old house borers. Some will flat out tell you you only need coverage for subterranean. Some recommend liquid treatments and others will tell you the baiting stations are the way to go. Either of these options mean more $$$$ upfront and an annual fee to continue coverage. Hopefully next week I should have everyone's quotes and be able to decide which approach makes sense to me. To me, even though I have owned numerous homes over the past 50 years with no problems with termites on any of them, it is piece of mind, insurance if you will, to have someone else responsible in the event there is ever an issue. Everyone needs to decide for themselves where they are comfortable and make your decision accordingly but I highly recommend shopping around and making sure exactly what you are purchasing or perhaps giving up in the event you decide to go the DIY route. I will keep you posted once my decision is made.
The Massey termite warranty contract for new houses expires after 5 years. Then, you no longer have a contract or warranty with Massey. I don't see where there is a conflict with the guarantee?

In my opinion, it is worthwhile to treat for subterranean termites, but not for other types of termites.
Closed Thread

Tags
termite, home, years, massey, prevention

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.