Termite Inspections/Retreatment

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2020, 08:58 AM
Default Termite Inspections/Retreatment

A gentleman from Massey just left after inspecting my home for termite activities. Like the annual inspections for the last 7 years, there was none. He informed me that I am no longer covered by Massey for termite damage. He told me that I can again be covered if I have them perform a new termite prevention treatment on the property. The cost is approximately $800 (based on the size of the home) and would be good for 10 years. There is also an annual inspection fee of $229 (was $207 annually for the past 7 years).

The home is Stucco and was built in 2013. The home is primarily steel and concrete, although there is obviously some wood used in the construction. At the time of construction, Massey performed certain termite prevention procedures on both the inside and outside of the home. The liquid spray on the inside of the home and the injected solution around the slab perimeter breaks down over about 7 years.

Has anyone had any experience with this issue or had the retreatment done? Since I have never had any termite issues or known anyone in the neighborhood with termite issues, I am reluctant to put out $800 for the retreatment.

Any comments or suggestions?
Old 10-15-2020, 09:15 AM
Veteran member

I just had Massey do my 7 year termite treatment last month. I have the "bait" system, it cost me $600 and is guaranteed for life. Also, it will be $128/year after this. My house is also Stucco and built in 2013, it is a designer style

Last edited by mixsonci; 10-15-2020 at 09:17 AM. Reason: adding
Old 10-15-2020, 09:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,585 Times in 5,184 Posts

It depends on the size of the house, but the bait system is usually more expensive than the perimeter soil chemical treatment. Also, the bait system requires more monitoring and possible retreatment. I prefer the chemical treatment over the bait system. Massey may also try to sell you an additional treatment and coverage for flying termites. But, I think the only type of protection you need is the standard subterranean termite contract. I would suggest that you call Dean's to get a second pricing option. Both are good companies. I would get the contract regardless of the type of house construction. Your house can be invaded by subterranean termites and cause damage for years before you even know they are there. It is also a good thing to have a termite contract in place when you sell your house. Just my opinion.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,012 Times in 5,318 Posts

We have been wondering about this ourselves.

Hoping more folks weigh in on this.
Old 10-15-2020, 10:35 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts

I treat the perimeter of my stucco designer myself every spring at a cost of $49.00. Can anyone state that there has been a home south of 466 documented that had a subterranean termite infestation? The answer is no. This is a scam, $200+ per year on 140,000 homes comes to $28,000,000.00 divided mostly between Massey and Dean's. And by the way it would be impossible to completely re-treat the interior wood that is behind your walls. Did they also try to talk you into a dry wood termite contract?
Old 10-15-2020, 10:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

First let's cover the cost of this process for its life 7years.

It is 2,403 for the treatment and inspections.

So what do you get? One treatment of Taurus SC. The smallest quantity you can buy is 57.95 from Amazon.

That one bottle will treat your home, your neighbors, your neighbor's neighbors.

I treat mine every three months, not specify for termites but for ants. It is sprayed on the surface and penetrates the soil. I do not know why ants require more frequent treatment.

I have posted this before and someone always wants to argue this. Believe me that is what the manufacturer instructions clearly state.

Termite treatment is like oil changes, every has an opinion but no one bothers to see what the manufacturer actually says.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,012 Times in 5,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post

So what do you get? One treatment of Taurus SC. The smallest quantity you can buy is 57.95 from Amazon.

That one bottle will treat your home, your neighbors, your neighbor's neighbors.

I treat mine every three months, not specify for termites but for ants. It is sprayed on the surface and penetrates the soil. I do not know why ants require more frequent treatment.

I have posted this before and someone always wants to argue this. Believe me that is what the manufacturer instructions clearly state.

Termite treatment is like oil changes, every has an opinion but no one bothers to see what the manufacturer actually says.
Interesting, guess can buy at Lowes or Home Depot?

Any special precautions that must be taken in spraying?
Old 10-15-2020, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Years ago when Massey came by invitation to one of our neighborhood monthly meeting , they tried to scare the hell out of us and wanted to retreat all the homes for big bucks. A lot of my neighbors went for it and some didn't. I was in the group that didn't. I called DEANS and had no problem switching my coverage over to them. The first time I'm not happy with them I will call someone else. The thing to remember if changing service providers is to do it while you still have coverage in case their inspection detects anything. At the same time I started doing my own pest control, and I believe I do a better job than Massey did.
Old 10-16-2020, 05:27 AM
Default Yes, there are termites in TV

My neighbors had termites, did not pay a contract. Had to pay cost of repairs, treatments and now have a contract. I paid Superior services initially the cost of treatment and now they retreat free every 5 years. A good deal. Also inspect free whenever you want, as I did when neighbors had them. In the south it is not will you have termites but when. Keep it treated!
Old 10-16-2020, 05:34 AM

Massey tried the same thing with me but the clincher when I asked to talk in person was, if I’m in a good mood that day maybe I can give you a better price. Bye bye. Called two other termite places and Dean’s sounded the best. They send out a sniffer dog first then one treatment and $165 a year for follow up.
Old 10-16-2020, 06:59 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,323 Times in 1,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormaKW View Post
My neighbors had termites, did not pay a contract. Had to pay cost of repairs, treatments and now have a contract. I paid Superior services initially the cost of treatment and now they retreat free every 5 years. A good deal. Also inspect free whenever you want, as I did when neighbors had them. In the south it is not will you have termites but when. Keep it treated!
What village did your neighbor live in and what type of termites did they have, was the house stucco or vinyl?
Old 10-16-2020, 07:07 AM

I do my own termite treatment . Buy Ortho house defense and spray house once a year along ground and eaves, cost less than $20. Have used this for years on my homes here and up north keeps all bugs including termites out .
Old 10-16-2020, 07:24 AM

Switch to Deans.
Old 10-16-2020, 07:29 AM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Rosenfeld View Post
A gentleman from Massey just left after inspecting my home for termite activities. Like the annual inspections for the last 7 years, there was none. He informed me that I am no longer covered by Massey for termite damage. He told me that I can again be covered if I have them perform a new termite prevention treatment on the property. The cost is approximately $800 (based on the size of the home) and would be good for 10 years. There is also an annual inspection fee of $229 (was $207 annually for the past 7 years).

The home is Stucco and was built in 2013. The home is primarily steel and concrete, although there is obviously some wood used in the construction. At the time of construction, Massey performed certain termite prevention procedures on both the inside and outside of the home. The liquid spray on the inside of the home and the injected solution around the slab perimeter breaks down over about 7 years.

Has anyone had any experience with this issue or had the retreatment done? Since I have never had any termite issues or known anyone in the neighborhood with termite issues, I am reluctant to put out $800 for the retreatment.

Any comments or suggestions?
We have lived here 14 years. Massey did the original termite treatment and has not said it needs to be redone. We did get the dry termite treatment by them a few years ago. But the fees you are being quoted seem outrageous compared to what we pay. We have a poured concrete house. I would call another termite inspector and see if you have termites now.
Old 10-16-2020, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post

I, too, experienced the same as what OP stated, when I purchased my pre-owned home almost 2yrs ago. And, thanks to Toymeister(and some Google research), I also purchased a bottle of Taurus SC on Amazon. I was in the process of treating(digging), when I tore my rotator. I then opted to wait for rainy season to end, so I'm about to complete this now.
Toymeister, you said you're doing this quarterly? Are you actually trenching around your home(like recommended) every time? TIA.
Closed Thread

Tags
termite, home, years, massey, prevention

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.