Termite protection for attic

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2020, 07:08 AM

You must be special I had Massey services for many years and because I had their services I was charged $100 yearly for a termite inspection. I don’t want to say bad things about Massey -I discontinued their serviceS about a year ago and went with Deans. Very satisfied with Deans.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I think Massey is a bunch of thieves and will sell you anything and everything.
We dropped them like a hot coal for a lot of reasons and jumped over to Deans when the initial contract expired. If you've $300 and will sleep better at night, go for it, but you don't need it.
We had Dean’s & switched to Massey. Happy. We do not have the attic protection.

We mainly switched because the Deans tech ghosted our property ( charged for the service but did not do it).
Old 07-01-2020, 07:20 AM

We had it done. Remember, getting it after termites are found in the attic is worthless. It never needs to be repeated and is part of our yearly termite inspection. You can't go wrong.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,619 Times in 5,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by guppyvii View Post
I may be naive but I thought you buy a termite bond and it covers everything. My bond expires this month so I will be looking at my options. Thanks.
No. The builder only treats the house for subterranean termites and the initial termite contract lasts 5 years. The builder hires either Massey or Deans to do the initial treatment. After that, the contract needs to be restarted with possible new treatments. The termite contractor will try to upsell you to a more expensive treatment that will include flying termites. In my opinion, the additional cost for the upsell is not worth the cost. Subterranean termites can do a lot of damage to your house before you even know they are there. But, other types of termites can be more easily detected and eradicated.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:53 AM

We recently discovered drywood termites in our attic. IMO worth the piece of mind.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
I did, and felt more comfortable for it. They inspect annually at no cost. By the way, I’ve found Massey to do a good job, with terrific and responsive customer service whenever I found it necessary to call them. They didn’t get to be the largest lawn, pest and termite company by not doing a good job. I tried other companies but wound up subscribing to all their services.
We use Massey for everything. We find them knowledgeable, fair and when I call they are usually here within 24 hrs. They aren't perfect but they are the best around. However, they do not do a free termite inspection annually. It is $99 per year for inspection.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:47 AM

Deans covers both for the standard termite cost. You may want to give them a call. We switched both of our houses to Deans. 352-787-5300
Old 07-01-2020, 10:27 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

Does anyone know of a documented case of subterranean termites infestation within TV other than the historic district???
Old 07-01-2020, 12:54 PM

I pay 124 a year for termite protection
Old 07-01-2020, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,496 Posts
Default So many choices.

We had purchased a property and Massey was the company that serviced lawn and home. Never had an issue in either of our homes with Massey for our houses.
Our problem was with the lawn care side. Ended up having to re-sod large portion of our front lawn as a result of insect infestation they were supposed to be treating for. As the lawn died, I asked my landscaper what it might be. He got a shovel and dug up a shovel full of the bugs. Called Massey to get the tech out. When he finally arrived, he told me the law was dieing do to poor irrigation. Asked him to wait at the worst spot. I turned on the irrigation and soaked him. "Well, it must be something else". I then showed him the bugs. He didn't know what they were. I called the office to talk to a supervisor and ended up going to the area manager at that time. Explained the situation and he just wanted me to re-up for another year " because it will take that long to come back". Told him to re-sod since that is what the contract would allow. He denied any responsibility on Massey's part and refused any help to remedy the situation. When I told him I was going to cancel contracts on both properties, he hem'd and ha'd a bit but still refused to accept responsibility.
I still use Massey for house, but will not recommend for lawn and garden.
Old 07-01-2020, 03:59 PM
Location: Wisconsin, California, military, California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Illinois, (Ugh!) and, FINALLY, TV
Default READ the contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
I chose Deans or Masseys mainly because I read the fine print of the contracts regarding termite damage.

Dean's guarantee covers three type of termites whereas Masseys only covered two types. I made this choice 4 years ago so there may have been changes since then.

Bottom line READ the entire contract.
Always good advice.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:25 PM
Default Termites

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
there have been several homes with dry wood termites which required costly repairs and it is not covered by regular homeowners insurance.
I forgot how much we paid but they sprayed the attic with a termiticide. I would get it.
I have lived in the Villages for 20 yrs.. NEVER HAVE I SEEN A HOUSE TENTED FOR TERMITES ! Find living in the Villages people think we’re RICH ..Thety try to Sell You Anything !
Old 07-01-2020, 08:32 PM
Location: Osceola Hills, previously from Oviedo FL (Orlando area)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
We had purchased a property and Massey was the company that serviced lawn and home. Never had an issue in either of our homes with Massey for our houses.
Our problem was with the lawn care side. Ended up having to re-sod large portion of our front lawn as a result of insect infestation they were supposed to be treating for. As the lawn died, I asked my landscaper what it might be. He got a shovel and dug up a shovel full of the bugs. Called Massey to get the tech out. When he finally arrived, he told me the law was dieing do to poor irrigation. Asked him to wait at the worst spot. I turned on the irrigation and soaked him. "Well, it must be something else". I then showed him the bugs. He didn't know what they were. I called the office to talk to a supervisor and ended up going to the area manager at that time. Explained the situation and he just wanted me to re-up for another year " because it will take that long to come back". Told him to re-sod since that is what the contract would allow. He denied any responsibility on Massey's part and refused any help to remedy the situation. When I told him I was going to cancel contracts on both properties, he hem'd and ha'd a bit but still refused to accept responsibility.
I still use Massey for house, but will not recommend for lawn and garden.
I also use Massey for inside of my house only. I use Heron for the outside. Massey is also my termite insurer. I have lived in FL for 40 years, never had termites in the wood in my attic with my stucco home, as long as I treated for subterranean termites every 5 years or whenever I disturbed the earth. I have been very impressed with Massey indoors but refuse to let them handle my landscaping at all. Have had Heron for many years, very good.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:37 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO View Post
Would you mind telling us your source of info about the several homes and when that was?
our neighbor down the street found them infesting a dresser in her bedroom about 5 years ago in Sabal Chase then most of us got the dry wood termite treatment. otherwise regular insurance wouldn’t cover damage

other cases were north of 466 and that was also about 5 years ago.

rather than take our word for it check out the internet and decide for yourself.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:03 PM

We had this conversation a year ago and I asked for any villager that had termites to speak up. Lots of responses told me I was nuts if I didn’t pay for the treatments every year. After every response for two weeks I restated my request for a victim... never got a response from someone in TV with termites. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen but if it does why wouldn’t someone respond?
Closed Thread

Tags
home, attic, recommended, portion, $300

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.