Termite Protection - Do we really need it?

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2015, 03:37 PM
Gold member

Here's an instructional page from Florida Building Commission that illustrates/explains subterranean and other termite entries, with stats on infestations.

http://www.floridabuilding.org/FBC/c...INSTRUCTOR.pdf
Old 02-10-2015, 03:40 PM

I don't understand - "One typical way to gain entrance is through tunnels up the walls of your house" - My walls are solid concrete with stucco????
Old 02-10-2015, 04:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It could be up the inside walls of your garage if they gain entrance though a crack in the slab. I have actually seen this where they proceeded to eat cardboard boxes stacked along the wall. If you had a framed house the tunnels could be up the foot or so of foundation to where the siding starts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordyM View Post
I don't understand - "One typical way to gain entrance is through tunnels up the walls of your house" - My walls are solid concrete with stucco????
Old 02-10-2015, 04:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
My house was stucco and they made it to the 2nd floor which is where they did most of the damage. Doesn't matter if you have concrete and metal studs they will also eat drywall.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
My original question was can termites chew through concrete?

If they can not chew through concrete..... then the only way into my home would be through the eves or roof vents..... correct? And I have yet to see roof trusses treated with any "green spray" termite control.

With $120 a year I can by a lot of "Snake Oil"....
A neighbor I had in Jacksonville had a block house. He thought he was immune. Five years later he discovered major damage in his attic. Did they chew through concrete? Don't know but I do know they got there and it cost him a lot of money.

For more details visit University of Florida's web site.

It is not a question of if. It is a question of when.

Let us know your decision.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
My house was stucco and they made it to the 2nd floor which is where they did most of the damage. Doesn't matter if you have concrete and metal studs they will also eat drywall.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
A neighbor I had in Jacksonville had a block house. He thought he was immune. Five years later he discovered major damage in his attic. Did they chew through concrete? Don't know but I do know they got there and it cost him a lot of money.

For more details visit University of Florida's web site.

It is not a question of if. It is a question of when.

Let us know your decision.
Did this by any chance happen in Queens Harbour in Jacksonville? That is where I experienced my termite nightmare in a stucco house.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs down Pest Control Companies

I originally moved to Florida in 1983. I have NEVER had a pest control policy or any type of termite protection either. To all the "followers" of every type of bug policy available, which is the "creation"ofy pest control companies, I can tell you without equivocation that you are wasting your money. You are paying a pretty high price for peace of mind, notwithstanding the damage you are doing to the environment.

In all my 30+ years of living in a warmer climate, I have only had one incident where I called in a professional company to treat the problem. The few little issues I had, I easily handled myself.

I've said it before and will say it again. If a termite problem appears, it is inexpensive to treat the problem, unless the problem is out of control, which is extremely rare. Usually, the problem can be spot treated. I have never seen a house here that had to be tented. I also have never seen a larger group of gullible homeowners more so than here in TV, who have fallen prisoner to the scare tactics of the local pest control companies.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
I also have never seen a larger group of gullible homeowners more so than here in TV, who have fallen prisoner to the scare tactics of the local pest control companies.
"TERMITE BOND" I have never heard this term before, I think it is just hype. I've lived in FL over 35 years and my parents 25 years before that, and I don't know anyone that's had termites. And since moving to the Villages last year it's the first time I've heard anybody mention a "TERMITE BOND", they make it sound like SINKHOLE Insurance, now that I might waste my money on!
Old 02-10-2015, 08:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Homeowners have to do what they think is best for them. I can tell you that in SC, I have seen several homes that had significant damage from termites. In one case, a couple that I know did NOT pay for treatment, did not have a termite bond, and their repair bill was over $26,000.
I think many home owners who have a bond think it's a relatively inexpensive protection option. I believe a homeowner with no protection would wish they did have a bond if damage was found. Termites can go undetected for 5 to 10 years, and damage from them even longer. And then there are those who are far more intelligent than the rest of us, know everything about everything, and will tell you termite treatment and bonds are a scam.
I suggest you use the internet, research termites and damage caused by termites, preventative and post termite treatments, and make up your own mind. There is a lot of unbiased information available to you.
Yes, my opinion based on research and personal experience is to treat and keep a current termite bond..
Old 02-10-2015, 08:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
There is an area under your walk in shower where there is no slab...plus it is a likely place for moisture. Termidor is one of the better treatments, you can buy it at the link below but not at the big box stores.

http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/termites-c-3.html

Old 02-11-2015, 12:02 AM

Agreed the scare tactics are laughable .
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.