Termite protection scam

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2018, 08:58 AM
Default Termite protection scam

Found out today there are five types of termites. Contract with Massey only covers ground tremites. They now want more money to protect me from flying termites. Anticipate three more attempts to get more money. Check the time print. I wrongly assumed that "Termite Protection' was for all termites. Not happy.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,422 Times in 5,111 Posts

I think it is worth having a termite contract for subterranean termites. However, it is not worth the extra cost to protect against flying or other types of termites. It may not be a scam, but it is definitely a ripoff.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Anybody use Dean's? I understand they are reputable and reliable.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 10-12-2018, 11:21 AM
Veteran member
Default TERMITES and Vill_no help

[QUOTE=baustgen;1589388]Found out today there are five types of termites. Contract with Massey only covers ground

Sorry to hear this. Another casse of hey, you are here to rip off and there is so many ways we can screw you and you can get no help from anyone unless you pay for and find an honest lawyer. Now, that is a real challenge.
Wish we could help. Best to move, we think.

bbbbbb
Old 10-12-2018, 11:33 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think it is worth having a termite contract for subterranean termites.
I don't think it's a scam, but a case of "buyer beware".
Old 10-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I don't think it's a scam, but a case of "buyer beware".
Ya think?
Old 10-12-2018, 11:36 AM
Sage

When we first moved we used Massey, dumped the for Hullett, Hullett sold their business to Orkin, we use Orkin for termite inspection & insurance
Old 10-12-2018, 12:16 PM
Default Termite Distribution in Florida

You may be on to something. Check off all of the boxes in the attached link.

Termite Distribution - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences

I see two parts that we pay for.

1 = Treatment around foundation to prevent termites. done three or four times per year.

2 = Termite Bond (insurance) to pay for damage if it does occur. That's where it gets tricky.

Some have said you can't sell a house without a "termite bond", but I think more likely you can't sell a house without a termite "inspection". (if it's mortgaged)
Old 10-12-2018, 12:38 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Can anyone honestly state they have factual knowledge of a home in TV having "subterranean" termite damage. I asked our well known inspector that and the answer was not the he knew of and he himself does not pay for the termite bond program. It's so easy just to do it yourself nowadays.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO View Post
You may be on to something. Check off all of the boxes in the attached link.

Termite Distribution - University of Florida, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences

I see two parts that we pay for.

1 = Treatment around foundation to prevent termites. done three or four times per year.

2 = Termite Bond (insurance) to pay for damage if it does occur. That's where it gets tricky.

Some have said you can't sell a house without a "termite bond", but I think more likely you can't sell a house without a termite "inspection". (if it's mortgaged)
We bought our preowned house that did not have termite protection, and got a mortgage without inspection. Deans had daisy the beagle come after we closed to sniff out termites, she found none. Deans started treatment that day. I know a few who do their own treatments

Last edited by thelegges; 10-12-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 01:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Can anyone honestly state they have factual knowledge of a home in TV having "subterranean" termite damage. I asked our well known inspector that and the answer was not the he knew of and he himself does not pay for the termite bond program. It's so easy just to do it yourself nowadays.
I think that it is difficult to evaluate the termite damage risk in The Villages because all new homes are treated by the builder with a soil poison that is supposed to protect the home from subterranean termites for about 10 years. And, most homeowners retreat the house and maintain a termite contract on a continual basis indefinitely. So, the real question should not be "have you ever seen any termite damage?" But, "how much damage would you see if no termite treament was used at all"? Unfortunately, this is a question with no real answer.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Being as our homes are built on a slab, I don't see how the subterranean varmints could get to the wood. Anybody?

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 10-12-2018, 02:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Being as our homes are built on a slab, I don't see how the subterranean varmints could get to the wood. Anybody?
They live in the soil and enter the house through cracks in the slab, or around the edge of the slab. They feed on mostly soft wood, like window sills, door trim, carpet, drywall, etc. They can do a lot of damage before being detected, but it does take a long time for them to do extensive damage to a house. You don't see them because they cannot be exposed to the light and they build soil tunnels to travel through. I have seen baseboards that look perfectly normal until you tap it with a screwdriver and find that the surface of the wood is paper thin and the baseboard is totally destroyed. But, it is really a personal decision to have a termite protection contract or not.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Through the tiny cracks and crevices. As we age termites become invisible they also swarm ever spring and fly off to greener pastures. You won’t know you have termites till the chewed up the interior wall planks and seek path too moisture or waste dumping.

Now you ask why would block and stucco concrete slab need protected? Termites are so tiny they can still migrate up through cracks and crevices to wood in the frame or attic and the flying swarm can attack through attic venting screens. the changes are lower in concrete or block house there still very small chance they can get to wood. Wooden frame house percentage lot higher due to wood stud frame construction. Ever turn over old piece of wood lying in yard on dirt? Termites most likely have eaten the underside up.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

I don’t know how I got double post my heavy uncontrollable fingers must of hit wrong key on iPad
Closed Thread

Tags
termites, termite, protection, money, check

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.