Termite protection scam

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2018, 03:29 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

retiredguy123 and topspinno and some others here are 100% correct. I was asked to comment on this thread.

I have no "skin in this game" as I no longer do official termite inspections. You legally have to have a seperate license to do official WDO (wood destroying organisms) and I found it was just not worth the cost and training headache to maintain this additional accreditation when we are so busy doing home inspections. Most home inspectors leave this to the "bug guys". When we do an inspection by law we CANNOT say we are doing a WDO inspection, and we are not. Of course, when we do find damage or other evidence of "possible WDO" we would certainly call it out as an issue that would need to be checked out by someone "legally allowed" to weigh in on it.

By Florida law, all slabs have to be pre-treated before the build. How long that treatment lasts is debatable. a few folks elect to do their own treatments, providing they know what to buy, how to apply, etc.

Most folks hire this out. Treatments vary, the most common is Termidor.

Some folks sign up for a termite "bond". This is basically an insurance policy that will cover any treatment and repair IF an infestation and/or damage is found. If one plans on selling their home it is often reassuring to the buyer that a constant bond has been in place. Since all insurance is simply risk management, it is up to you weather you feel you would like to insure against this risk.

Some mortgages require an official Florida WDO Inspection. Some do not.

There is a difference between the much more common subterranean termite and the less found (around here) drywood termites. These are more prevalent the more south in Florida you go. The treatment for these is typically a one time treatment in the attic.

So...the big question is how big a risk are termites to your home. The risk varies....and the answers are different as to whom you ask. There is no "One size fits all" answer.

hope that helps a bit.....

Frank
Old 10-12-2018, 04:06 PM
Veteran member
Location: Upstate NY, So Fla, Louisiana, So Fla, Santiago and now Bonnybrook

I believe Florida has more flying termites than subterranean
Old 10-12-2018, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
retiredguy123 and topspinno and some others here are 100% correct. I was asked to comment on this thread.

I have no "skin in this game" as I no longer do official termite inspections. You legally have to have a seperate license to do official WDO (wood destroying organisms) and I found it was just not worth the cost and training headache to maintain this additional accreditation when we are so busy doing home inspections. Most home inspectors leave this to the "bug guys". When we do an inspection by law we CANNOT say we are doing a WDO inspection, and we are not. Of course, when we do find damage or other evidence of "possible WDO" we would certainly call it out as an issue that would need to be checked out by someone "legally allowed" to weigh in on it.

By Florida law, all slabs have to be pre-treated before the build. How long that treatment lasts is debatable. a few folks elect to do their own treatments, providing they know what to buy, how to apply, etc.

Most folks hire this out. Treatments vary, the most common is Termidor.

Some folks sign up for a termite "bond". This is basically an insurance policy that will cover any treatment and repair IF an infestation and/or damage is found. If one plans on selling their home it is often reassuring to the buyer that a constant bond has been in place. Since all insurance is simply risk management, it is up to you weather you feel you would like to insure against this risk.

Some mortgages require an official Florida WDO Inspection. Some do not.

There is a difference between the much more common subterranean termite and the less found (around here) drywood termites. These are more prevalent the more south in Florida you go. The treatment for these is typically a one time treatment in the attic.

So...the big question is how big a risk are termites to your home. The risk varies....and the answers are different as to whom you ask. There is no "One size fits all" answer.

hope that helps a bit.....

Frank
Thank you very much for your input. It was very informative.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Thank you, Frank. I didn't expect a reply so soon. As usual, you came through with all the best information. Bob

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 10-13-2018, 12:08 AM
Soaring Eagle member

There are cracks in the slab. Regardless, the interior wood framing (interior load bearing walls) has been treated with a chemical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Being as our homes are built on a slab, I don't see how the subterranean varmints could get to the wood. Anybody?
Old 10-13-2018, 11:27 AM
Platinum member
Default shrinkage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Being as our homes are built on a slab, I don't see how the subterranean varmints could get to the wood. Anybody?
as concrete cures it shrinks. there will be tiny cracks around your bathtub plumbing that comes up through the slab. It is a good spot to make sure you have the termite guy spray. some homes will have a small inspection panel. They are easy to install.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:19 PM

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your reply!
I have a question, if I may.....how common (in your experience) is an infestation to actually occur?
Especially in a 5-15 year old house, that was pre-treated....that doesn't have a bunch of dilapidated other houses/structures/rotting decks near by/attached....or old fallen/rotting timber in un-kept wild yards?

I'm just really skeptical that this is even a "thing", in a community like TV...
And this QUARTERLY application, I think, is TOTAL overkill.
Charging me $100, (4X a year) to walk around my little 2 bedroom villa with a sprayer....

Asking anyone with an answer....Just Thought Frank would have more first hand knowledge.

Thanks in advance,

Chris
Old 01-03-2019, 03:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I don't think it's a scam, but a case of "buyer beware".
And a case of projecting the blame.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGyver9 View Post
And this QUARTERLY application, I think, is TOTAL overkill.
Charging me $100, (4X a year) to walk around my little 2 bedroom villa with a sprayer....
Here is an option, use the same product the pros use around the home four times a year. It is Tarus SC (generic Termidor SC) https://www.amazon.com/Taurus-SC-CSI...ords=taurus+sc for 55.00 you get 25 one gallon applications or six years' worth. Your annual cost is 9.00. This product works exceptionally well to keep the ants out as well. Ant control is one approved use for this product.

Taurus SC active ingredient is 9.1% Fipronil. This is the same product is similar concentrations as used in Frontline topical flea control for dogs and cats. Not saying that this is safer than any other insecticide, but it is interesting how some hire a professional for their house but DIY for their pets.

Last edited by Toymeister; 01-03-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I just signed with Florida Pest Control (FPC). They are very reasonable and very thorough. No pressure or BS.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 01-03-2019, 08:52 PM
Gold member

If you own a house in the south, you need some sort of termite contract. When I lived in NC, I came home one day and said what is happening to the drywall in the garage ? Well, termites had built their little tunnels and were eating the paper off the drywall. This was on a house that was 7 years old. I had to have the whole house treated including drilling into the garage concrete floor every 6 inches along the perimeter to have chemicals injected. Needless to say, it was a very expensive procedure. Now, we pay Massey about a 100 a year to provide the warranty. They come and inspect/treat once or twice a year. I did the same thing in NC with a different company.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,647 Times in 589 Posts

"Now, we pay Massey about a 100 a year to provide the warranty."

I'm 7 years in now with Massey, and now they say they need to retreat above and beyond the $100. Don't know how much that would be, but I'm exploring options.
Old 01-22-2019, 02:44 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

$100 a year, let's say 60,000 homes in here, $6,000,000 per year divided mostly by Deans and Massey. I wonder how many claims they have ever paid out on termite damage. I wouldn't mind having a piece of that action. They most likely have insurance to cover any claims that might arise but premiums would not be anywhere near that number.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
$100 a year, let's say 60,000 homes in here, $6,000,000 per year divided mostly by Deans and Massey. I wonder how many claims they have ever paid out on termite damage. I wouldn't mind having a piece of that action. They most likely have insurance to cover any claims that might arise but premiums would not be anywhere near that number.
I agree. But, if you do a similar calculation with car insurance, I would rather have a piece of that action. And homeowners insurance on the 60,000 homes is about 10 times what people pay for the termite insurance.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-22-2019 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:30 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree. But, if you do a similar calculation with car insurance, I would rather have a piece of that action. And homeowners insurance on the 60,000 homes is about 10 times what people pay for the termite insurance.
That's true but a lot of us use our homeowners and auto insurance every once in awhile. I still have never heard of a documented case of subterranean termites in TV and I have asked on several forums over the last two years.
Closed Thread

Tags
termites, termite, protection, money, check

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.