termite protection Yes/N0

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2011, 07:57 AM
Platinum member
Default termite protection Yes/N0

My first year home warrantee free termite service is about to expire (July 16) I have pest control service with a different company than I have w/ the termites.

Because my house is of block construction and that The Villages was built on property never heavily forested, "Is this termite protection an overkill?"
Old 06-24-2011, 08:19 AM
Default Nasty little buggars!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
My first year home warrantee free termite service is about to expire (July 16) I have pest control service with a different company than I have w/ the termites.

Because my house is of block construction and that The Villages was built on property never heavily forested, "Is this termite protection an overkill?"
Tom I have lived in the southern US all my life, in Georgia and Florida for the most part. There is an old saying that I have listened to over and over again regarding termites, "in the south, it is not a matter of if you will get them, it is when." Those buggars can cause a ton of damage to a home, and mostly unseen until the wall falls in or the rafters in your ceiling become damaged . I have my home under a treatment and damage bond here in Georgia and will do so as well when we move to our new home in TV. To me it is a small price to pay for piece of mind.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Sage

We didn't worry about termites for the first five years of our home's life because we were told that termite protection is "built in" to the new homes and will last for 5 to 10 years. Then we took out termite protection on our resale home. After the first year of inspection and protection, which can range from $200 to $500 approximately, the charge is about $100 per year. Deans has a dog that sniffs for termites. Cute, but we didn't use them.

If you purchase new, it is probably a good idea to just extend the existing contract, which will avoid the large "start-up/inspection" charge.

The termite companies all tell me that termites have been found in some areas of Historical, which I would believe, as there are some old buildings there. They also tell me that termites have been found in areas of new homes north of 466A. However I'm not sure if this is just a scare tactic!
Old 06-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Veteran member

In our home in Duval,
interior and exterior walls are framed with steel studs and roof trusses are steel as well. I know this is not the norm for construction in TV but for some reason ours is built this way. The only wood material used is the chipboard sheathing behind the vinyl siding and the roof sheathing under the shingles. Hopefully the little buggers won't be interested in our home but we've still got termite protection.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:25 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnpat View Post
In our home in Duval,
interior and exterior walls are framed with steel studs and roof trusses are steel as well. I know this is not the norm for construction in TV but for some reason ours is built this way. The only wood material used is the chipboard sheathing behind the vinyl siding and the roof sheathing under the shingles. Hopefully the little buggers won't be interested in our home but we've still got termite protection.

Termites have been found in furniture. In one case I know of a piano was ruined. So, philnpat, smart move on your part to have the protection.

And, Tom, termite protection is not overkill.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster View Post
[/B]

Termites have been found in furniture. In one case I know of a piano was ruined. So, philnpat, smart move on your part to have the protection.

And, Tom, termite protection is not overkill.
Never found termite protection to be overkill, it's a wise investment in your property.All it takes is one time, you'll sleep better at night knowing somebody is watching over your investment.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:57 PM
Send a message via AIM to Zass38

I would check the "warranty" very closely. I am not sure that the wooden members in the roof structure are covered, as was the case in my area.

Thus, with a poured concrete house, with steel framing and all wooden furring strips treated with a zinc chromate for the first 4 feet, I did not feel that the termite "warranty' was worth much.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.