Termites

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Default Termites

Are termites less likely to attack a home built from blocks or a frame home? It would seem a concrete block house is less likely to attract termites but I was told they climb up the center of the blocks to get to the roof rafters.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: Termites

poromo:
When I first came to TV, I was pressured and pressured to buy a full termite-control package. I resisted and resisted, believing that termites wouldn't come to my block/stucco house. Eventually, I succumbed to the pressure, despite all my better instincts.
After a number of discussions with friends who had been in Florida for a number of years, I was persuaded that a modest program of protection - "because they can and will get to your rafters and roof" - was advisable. So, now I carry much less "protection" than was almost forced upon me originally! I get some arm-twisting every year at renewal, but until I actually see the critters in my home, I don't fall for it!
Extensive termite control programs are a money-making "scam" around here, I am sure!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:28 PM

Swrinfla, You are absolutely correct on the arm twisting. We were moving some furniture into our new home and here come the sales people. On tried to sell us a one time treatment for the attic for formosa termites. Cost $300. He said it would protect us fully against all kinds of termites. Seems my bond is only good for sub-terrainnian termites. Termites that come from below the ground. Also protects against termites that we may bring in. My question is what good is my bond? I have always thought termite bonds were a rip off. Even more so now. Our builder said that they have not had a termite problem in TV Don't know.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:33 PM

Hey Bama Boy!

We went with Julio (PTL) for our yard and pest control. He told us that they only recommend termite packages after 3 years (when Massy runs out). He said that they have not run into any termite problems with anyone on the south side...just spraying for provention.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.