Termites

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Default Termites

Are termites less likely to attack a home built from blocks or a frame home? It would seem a concrete block house is less likely to attract termites but I was told they climb up the center of the blocks to get to the roof rafters.
Old 10-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Platinum member
Default Re: Termites

poromo:
When I first came to TV, I was pressured and pressured to buy a full termite-control package. I resisted and resisted, believing that termites wouldn't come to my block/stucco house. Eventually, I succumbed to the pressure, despite all my better instincts.
After a number of discussions with friends who had been in Florida for a number of years, I was persuaded that a modest program of protection - "because they can and will get to your rafters and roof" - was advisable. So, now I carry much less "protection" than was almost forced upon me originally! I get some arm-twisting every year at renewal, but until I actually see the critters in my home, I don't fall for it!
Extensive termite control programs are a money-making "scam" around here, I am sure!
Old 10-05-2007, 07:28 PM

Swrinfla, You are absolutely correct on the arm twisting. We were moving some furniture into our new home and here come the sales people. On tried to sell us a one time treatment for the attic for formosa termites. Cost $300. He said it would protect us fully against all kinds of termites. Seems my bond is only good for sub-terrainnian termites. Termites that come from below the ground. Also protects against termites that we may bring in. My question is what good is my bond? I have always thought termite bonds were a rip off. Even more so now. Our builder said that they have not had a termite problem in TV Don't know.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:33 PM

Hey Bama Boy!

We went with Julio (PTL) for our yard and pest control. He told us that they only recommend termite packages after 3 years (when Massy runs out). He said that they have not run into any termite problems with anyone on the south side...just spraying for provention.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.