Termites Treatment

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2021, 08:56 AM

The older section of the villages has more incidents because much of the wood the tree products were saved during construction in the newer areas they bulldozer everything they stock pile all the trees in the way and they burn it.
If you’re finding termites with wings scouts that does not mean you have a Infestation inside you home a barrier treatment good more than suffice. If you’re finding actual damage like frass piles sawwood that’s a different treatment because you would have an infestation inside of your structure then treat interior home!
So it actually comes down to prevention versus eradication identify the issue.
I was in the business for over 20 years the company owned up north American exterminators I speak from experience
Old 04-10-2021, 08:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,710 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
I based my decision on who had the best warranty. Deans uses supplemental treatments to the soil.

My warranty with Deans covers only two types of pests. Formosan and subterranean termites.

If I recall correctly, Masseys only covered one type so I stayed with Deans who had a contract with the seller.

But neither cover drywood termites. Is anyone aware of them being a issue in The Villages? Does anyone offer a warranty for them?
I just had Massey retreat and renew the contract in February. I had detailed discussions with both Massey and Dean's. Both companies offer a contract for subterranean and Formosan termites. However, the Massey contract guarantees that they will protect the house for 10 years. The renewal price is fixed in the contract for the first 5 years, but it could go up for years 6 through 10. Dean's would only offer me a contract for one year. They do supplemental treatment every year, but that only covers part of the house. I didn't use Dean's primarily because their contract is only a one year agreement. So, they could raise the renewal rate or even cancel the entire contract after one year. For me, it was a no brainer.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-10-2021 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:06 AM

I have Massey with the bait treatment. They come every year and check baits and then check the inside room by room and also the attic. No problems so far. I use them for all my pest control and my sprinkler system for 20 years. They are a very reliable company, always come out if you have a problem and fix it.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:16 AM
Default Florida Building Code

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMQ3100 View Post
We are looking for Termites treatment. There are two methods used by professionals.
1. Treatment of dirt around the house, like creating a barrier.
2. Setting up base stations around the parameter of the house.

Which process is better. Thanks in advance for your feedback
Florida Building Code has required that new construction to treat for termites prior to a slab being poured for the last 50 plus years. Unless you have signs of termites in your home their is no need for additional treatment. Drywood termites are another animal that can only be treated by whole or partial fumigation of the house. If you have signs of termites, fine out what kind of termite you have before treating. But if you let the soil or landscaping build up around the perimeter of your house to were the termites have access above the sole plate of the wall in the slab, they can enter your structure from that excess buildup.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
We are looking for Termites treatment. There are two methods used by professionals.

I had a pest control company and the only question I have is do you want total control of termites or do you want cheap? The best method (not the cheapest) is baiting (sentricon). Also, treatment for drywood termites is totally different. Remember, subterranean termites live in the ground. Drywood termites live in the wood.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:41 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,339 Times in 1,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithos View Post
Massey apparently has changed their service and guarantee.

This from their website.

Protection Against all Wood Destroying Insects
Our Total Coverage Termite Protection includes protection against ALL wood destroying insects. This includes:

Eastern Subterranean Termite
Formosan Subterranean Termite
Drywood Termite
Powder Post Beetle
Old House Borer
Our Total Coverage Termite Protection even includes a direct termite treatment to exposed wood in the attic and crawl spaces. If you want the peace of mind of knowing your home is protected from termites and wood-destroying insects, reach out for a free, no-obligation termite inspection today.
That is their Total Coverage Package which is not needed here and it's very expensive.
Old 04-10-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Our house is 11 years old and apparently not treated since inception. Want to have it done but hate to have to pay $ 150 or so a year for the privilege of having a warranty.
So basically you wont $3000 (150×20yrs) to protect your $300,000-$500,000 investment and for peace of mind! Sounds like penny wise and pound foolish
Old 04-10-2021, 09:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Our house is 11 years old and apparently not treated since inception. Want to have it done but hate to have to pay $ 150 or so a year for the privilege of having a warranty.
I recently had my house treated for $400 and the annual renewal rate is $79. I don't think it matters that the house has not been under contract. If you get it treated, you should be able to start a new long term contract with a specified renewal rate.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:12 AM

How much is the annual fee with Massey?
Old 04-10-2021, 11:39 AM
Gold member

DIY bait stations are cheap.
termite bait station - Do It Yourself Pest Control
Old 04-10-2021, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,045 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shapdaddy View Post
So basically you wont $3000 (150×20yrs) to protect your $300,000-$500,000 investment and for peace of mind! Sounds like penny wise and pound foolish
Looking for alternatives. When we bought our house we did have it inspected and it is termite free.

Plan to get protection but want the best bang for the buck.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:11 PM

I have the bait system in my Long Island home for years. I had the bait done by Massey in 2 of my homes in the Villages. It is not that much more and you dont have to treat every 5 years. It winds up being cheaper in the long run and free of chemicals being injected under your home which I am not a fan of. I think it was a difference of $100 or so from the treatment to the bait. Call and price. You can also negotiate a little.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:14 PM

Quote:

SAVE YOUR MONEY!!! All you have to do is watch around your foundation from time to time and if you notice their "runs", then you can have the house treated. Been here since 2002 and never seen a termite. Why would anyone PAY someone to put BAIT in the ground to try to ATTRACT termites just so you could kill them. That's ludicrous and a total waste of money!
Old 04-10-2021, 02:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barborv View Post
I have the bait system in my Long Island home for years. I had the bait done by Massey in 2 of my homes in the Villages. It is not that much more and you dont have to treat every 5 years. It winds up being cheaper in the long run and free of chemicals being injected under your home which I am not a fan of. I think it was a difference of $100 or so from the treatment to the bait. Call and price. You can also negotiate a little.
My contract with Massey is for 10 years, with no retreatment required during that period. I didn't go with the bait system because you never know when you may make a change to your landscaping, which could interfere with the bait stations. But, I think both methods are effective.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:39 PM

I initially had little tubes with bait from M. Way too expensive...my housebwas treated and that is for ten years.
Closed Thread

Tags
treatment, termites, house, parameter, base

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.