Thank goodness for the POA!

Closed Thread
Old 04-03-2019, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Thumbs up Thank goodness for the POA!

The Property Owners Association of The Villages...of course.

After receiving my April issue today, I once again strongly advocate that it is the best $10 a year....any Villager will ever spend.

Unless of course, you tend to react to truth and facts (and yes, sometimes "opinions") like a vampire does...to direct sunlight.

In that case, the best advise I can give, would be to pull the curtains and lower the blinds...STAT!
Old 04-03-2019, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,395 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

After receiving my April issue today, I once again strongly advocate that it is the best $10 a year....any Villager will ever spend.

Unless of course, you tend to react to truth and facts (and yes, sometimes "opinions") like a vampire does...to direct sunlight.

In that case, the best advise I can give, would be to pull the curtains and lower the blinds...
STAT!
Instead of trying to get a reaction out of people why don't you just give us some examples of why in your opinion it's the best $10 a Villager will ever spend? That would be great information for those of us not yet in the Villages..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 04-03-2019, 07:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Instead of trying to get a reaction out of people why don't you just give us some examples of why in your opinion it's the best $10 a Villager will ever spend? That would be great information for those of us not yet in the Villages..
The in-depth article on the TVRH rating...for one.

Vacant homes for another.

Since it won't link here, GOOGLE is your friend...but methinks you're already familiar with it.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
The in-depth article on the TVRH rating...for one.

Vacant homes for another.

Since it won't link here, GOOGLE is your friend...but methinks you're already familiar with it.
Wasn't aware that there was an actually POA that was independent of as you say 'Da Family".. So thanks for that.

Now, can you send me your address so I can sign up. They require that you're a Villages resident.. lol

Old 04-03-2019, 07:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Wasn't aware that there was an actually POA that was independent of as you say 'Da Family".. So thanks for that.

Now, can you send me your address so I can sign up. They require that you're a Villages resident.. lol
When/if you ever get here, I'll pay a 10 year membership...just for you.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
When/if you ever get here, I'll pay a 10 year membership...just for you.
Moderator, please archive this for later.. lol

Old 04-03-2019, 07:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Moderator, please archive this for later.. lol
No need...my word is my bond.

Heck, send me your address and I'll send a Benjamin to you now...to be used for later.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

This surely can be linked....this appears on driveways all over The Villages and has for years...

Property Owners' Association of The Villages, Inc.

TOTV is not owned or operated by The Villages..at least not to my knowledge.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
This surely can be linked....this appears on driveways all over The Villages and has for years...

Property Owners' Association of The Villages, Inc.

TOTV is not owned or operated by The Villages..at least not to my knowledge.
Old 04-03-2019, 10:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Skimmed a couple of articles there just now, the one about vacant homes and weeds and overgrown shrubs and mold seemed pretty important. They're not allowed to do anything other than mow the lawn and weed, when a home is abandoned due to death or someone with Power of Attorney not understanding things or the owner no longer living there and not being able to afford the upkeep anymore.

Is it possible, and permissible, to have a volunteer emergency club that exists exclusively to assist with things like this? Surely some kind neighbors would love nothing more than to trim the hedges, sweep the outside porch, and hose off any mildew on the outside of the structure once every few weeks, swipe a swiffer on external windows, etc. There'd need to be some kind of criteria met - death and a prolonged probate period would qualify, as would a homeowner transferred to a memory care facility and the executor being overwhelmed and just needing someone to lend a hand with these kinds of details while they sort out the estate. Volunteers could sign a hold harmless, so there wouldn't be any insurance issues. There'd be no planting of new things, no beautification, no building, nothing like that. A free temporary short-term emergency service that would not infringe on the rights of commercial ventures who need to earn a living doing the same things. Just simple minor maintenance to minimize the risk of vermin, overgrowth, and decay, for a specified time period.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:26 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Skimmed a couple of articles there just now, the one about vacant homes and weeds and overgrown shrubs and mold seemed pretty important. They're not allowed to do anything other than mow the lawn and weed, when a home is abandoned due to death or someone with Power of Attorney not understanding things or the owner no longer living there and not being able to afford the upkeep anymore.

Is it possible, and permissible, to have a volunteer emergency club that exists exclusively to assist with things like this? Surely some kind neighbors would love nothing more than to trim the hedges, sweep the outside porch, and hose off any mildew on the outside of the structure once every few weeks, swipe a swiffer on external windows, etc. There'd need to be some kind of criteria met - death and a prolonged probate period would qualify, as would a homeowner transferred to a memory care facility and the executor being overwhelmed and just needing someone to lend a hand with these kinds of details while they sort out the estate. Volunteers could sign a hold harmless, so there wouldn't be any insurance issues. There'd be no planting of new things, no beautification, no building, nothing like that. A free temporary short-term emergency service that would not infringe on the rights of commercial ventures who need to earn a living doing the same things. Just simple minor maintenance to minimize the risk of vermin, overgrowth, and decay, for a specified time period.
Maybe that can be your project once you are all moved in after your formal arrival. It sounds like a great idea and could even evolve into a new club. There was a great group of folks who helped residents after the last hurricane - maybe you can fin their story with a search here or in the Daily Sun.

Old 04-04-2019, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

3 Types of Hold Harmless Agreements & When to Use Them

That is a good suggestion.

There was a property like that in our area where the wind had blown the front door open and some neighbors noticed it and one called Community Watch. Who came, went inside and called the police.

Had not seen anything in the news about a breaking and entering so assumed it had been the wind.

I had been out walking the dog when the neighbor in that group called Community Watch and later saw two police cruisers heading to that address.

That property did look pretty bad at the time of the wind pushing the front door open. Someone with the key must not have shut it all the way.

It looks OK now that someone had finally moved in. The furniture had still be in it when the front door blew open.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:12 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:

In that case, the best advise I can give, would be to pull the curtains and lower the blinds...STAT!

Hey, Cold,

I’ll see your $10 and raise you a few bucks. Yep. I sent them a few extra because my money is on sunlight, too.

I can be quite pragmatic and so I can most certainly see that The Villages Corp. has done many things extremely well. (Had we not thought so, we never would have bought a house here.)

I believe in balance of power, and the POA is the closest we can come — of course, it is nowhere near a balance, but the POA does provide a way to communicate with the developer and to assist with issues that sometimes develop for homeowners.

I have often tried to explain that owning in TV is analogous to owning stock in a corporation. The decisions for any corporation are made by the upper echelon execs and the board. In publicly held businesses, stockholders can offer opinions at annual meetings or whenever. In reality, the corporation is going to do what is best for the corporation. But corporations want to keep stockholders happy, too, so that factors in — gotta keep that stock price up and running.

The POA speaks up for the stockholders in this corporation we call home. I have never been able to understand why there are those who find that so offensive, especially when they, too, benefit.

Our house got a brand new roof, materials and labor, all free of charge. That was after it was discovered that the shingles manufacturer had a bad run of shingles and a lot of them were in parts of the LSL area. The POA I know was quite helpful in this situation and seemed to work well with the developer. A homeowner alone could never have fought that battle.

I think that shingles situation, a few years ago, was an excellent example of the POA working at its best — with the developer, but certainly not a puppet show.

The VHA and the POA both have their place and purposes. But they are not the same thing. It is good to have both.

Anyway, c’mon, Cold, kick in a few extra bucks. Let the sun shine on. poa4us.org

Sincerely,
Boomer — (Darn it. I posted. Been trying not to. Oh well, at least cutting back.)

Last edited by Boomer; 04-04-2019 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Typo and another one
Old 04-04-2019, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hey, Cold,

I’ll see your $10 and raise you a few bucks. Yep. I sent them a few extra because my money is on sunlight, too.

I can be quite pragmatic and so I can most certainly see that The Villages Corp. has done many things extremely well. (Had we not thought so, we never would have bought a house here.)

I believe in balance of power, and the POA is the closest we can come — of course, it is nowhere near a balance, but the POA does provide a way to communicate with the developer and to assist with issues that sometimes develop for homeowners.

I have often tried to explain that owning in TV is analogous to owning stock in a corporation. The decisions for any corporation are made by the upper echelon execs and the board. In publicly held businesses, stockholders can offer opinions at annual meetings or whenever. In reality, the corporation is going to do what is best for the corporation. But corporations want to keep stockholders happy, too, so that factors in — gotta keep that stock price up and running.

The POA speaks up for the stockholders in this corporation we call home. I have never been able to understand why there or those who find that so offensive, especially when they, too, benefit.

Our house got a brand new roof, materials and labor, all free of charge. That was after it was discovered that the shingles manufacturer had a bad run of shingles and a lot of them were in parts of the LSL area. The POA I know was quite helpful in this situation and seemed to work well with the developer. A homeowner alone could never have fought that battle.

I think that shingles situation, a few years ago, was an excellent example of how the POA working at its best — with the developer, but certainly not a puppet show.

The VHA and the POA both have their place and purposes. But they are not the same thing. It is good to have both.

Anyway, c’mon, Cold, kick in a few extra bucks. Let the sun shine on. poa4us.org

Sincerely,
Boomer — (damn, I posted. Been trying not to. Oh well, at least cutting back.)
Good post, Boomer. Checks and balances are critical and that is a good example of that. The Orlando Sentinel also at times takes The Villages' developers to task even if those articles seem quite biased as is Leisureville the book from 2005 (or researched then). But many sources are the best way of getting at the facts. Book Review | 'Leisureville,' by Andrew D. Blechman - The New York Times

I seem to recall Blechman writing about the POA. History, organization, and operation of The Villages
Old 04-04-2019, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Maybe that can be your project once you are all moved in after your formal arrival. It sounds like a great idea and could even evolve into a new club. There was a great group of folks who helped residents after the last hurricane - maybe you can fin their story with a search here or in the Daily Sun.
I would absolutely positively want to get involved in something like that, though I don't know that I'd want to be in charge of it. Maybe help form a club, and let someone take over once it has a solid founding membership base. And then I could be just "the lady who edges the grass at the driveway and sidewalk area."
Closed Thread

Tags
blinds, opinions, lower, facts, tend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.