Thank goodness for the POA!

Closed Thread
Old 04-04-2019, 10:21 AM
Veteran member
Default Poa

[I]I have often tried to explain that owning in TV is analogous to owning stock in a corporation. The decisions for any corporation are made by the upper echelon execs and the board. In publicly held businesses, stockholders can offer opinions at annual meetings or whenever. In reality, the corporation is going to do what is best for the corporation. But corporations want to keep stockholders happy, too, so that factors in — gotta keep that stock price up and running.[/I]

Wouldn't it be great if the developer followed this business model just a little?
I fantasize about going to the "A Night With The Developer presentation (or whatever it's called) and he starts by saying: "I follow social media and know there are owners who are concerned about expansion, increasing costs, crime, troubled underage children and the like, so let me address some of these issues."[/I] But that ain't going to happen, except in my dreams.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
...But many sources are the best way of getting at the facts...
I’m all for doing homework and getting at the facts, especially for those who haven’t yet made a decision regarding moving to TV.

But for those who are here, how many sources are required to determine the single most important fact of all...are you happy living here.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I’m all for doing homework and getting at the facts, especially for those who haven’t yet made a decision regarding moving to TV.

But for those who are here, how many sources are required to determine the single most important fact of all...are you happy living here.
The neighbors break it or make it heaven on earth IMHO. And it is hard to control who moves in when someone moves out. We had some lovely neighbors but a tragedy in their family pulled them out so that they could be closer to their surviving family members.

We have been here since June of 2005 and have no plans for leaving even if I pull my life together.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hey, Cold,

I’ll see your $10 and raise you a few bucks. Yep. I sent them a few extra because my money is on sunlight, too.

I can be quite pragmatic and so I can most certainly see that The Villages Corp. has done many things extremely well. (Had we not thought so, we never would have bought a house here.)

I believe in balance of power, and the POA is the closest we can come — of course, it is nowhere near a balance, but the POA does provide a way to communicate with the developer and to assist with issues that sometimes develop for homeowners.

I have often tried to explain that owning in TV is analogous to owning stock in a corporation. The decisions for any corporation are made by the upper echelon execs and the board. In publicly held businesses, stockholders can offer opinions at annual meetings or whenever. In reality, the corporation is going to do what is best for the corporation. But corporations want to keep stockholders happy, too, so that factors in — gotta keep that stock price up and running.

The POA speaks up for the stockholders in this corporation we call home. I have never been able to understand why there are those who find that so offensive, especially when they, too, benefit.

Our house got a brand new roof, materials and labor, all free of charge. That was after it was discovered that the shingles manufacturer had a bad run of shingles and a lot of them were in parts of the LSL area. The POA I know was quite helpful in this situation and seemed to work well with the developer. A homeowner alone could never have fought that battle.

I think that shingles situation, a few years ago, was an excellent example of the POA working at its best — with the developer — but certainly not a puppet show.

The VHA and the POA both have their place and purposes. But they are not the same thing. It is good to have both.

Anyway, c’mon, Cold, kick in a few extra bucks. Let the sun shine on. poa4us.org

Sincerely,
Boomer — (Darn it. I posted. Been trying not to. Oh well, at least cutting back.)
Excellent idea!

Although I'm already paid up for the next three years, because of their tireless efforts (unpaid to boot), an additional donation in appreciation...is definitely something I will do.

Until he moves here and I can get him a real subscription...I'll make it an honorary donation from Ken'swing.
Old 04-04-2019, 11:56 AM
Default I totally agree with your view

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Skimmed a couple of articles there just now, the one about vacant homes and weeds and overgrown shrubs and mold seemed pretty important. They're not allowed to do anything other than mow the lawn and weed, when a home is abandoned due to death or someone with Power of Attorney not understanding things or the owner no longer living there and not being able to afford the upkeep anymore.

Is it possible, and permissible, to have a volunteer emergency club that exists exclusively to assist with things like this? Surely some kind neighbors would love nothing more than to trim the hedges, sweep the outside porch, and hose off any mildew on the outside of the structure once every few weeks, swipe a swiffer on external windows, etc. There'd need to be some kind of criteria met - death and a prolonged probate period would
qualify, as would a homeowner transferred to a memory care facility and the executor being overwhelmed and just needing someone to lend a hand with these kinds of details while they sort out the estate. Volunteers could sign a hold harmless, so there wouldn't be any insurance issues. There'd be no planting of new things, no beautification, no building, nothing like that. A free temporary short-term emergency service that would not infringe on the rights of commercial ventures who need to earn a living doing the same things. Just simple minor maintenance to minimize the risk of vermin, overgrowth, and decay, for a specified time period.
Throughout civilization there is always a conflict between law, rights and HUMANITY. Sadly, too many folks, complain without KNOWING or CARING.

I recall an elderly lady who had a wooden ramp for her wheel chair. According to the LAW, they notified her she must get it painted. After several according to the LAW notices they started fining her.

THINK-who was right? The neighbor or neighbors who reported her or the neighbors who got together and painted it for her?
Old 04-04-2019, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,375 Times in 3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
Throughout civilization there is always a conflict between law, rights and HUMANITY. Sadly, too many folks, complain without KNOWING or CARING.

I recall an elderly lady who had a wooden ramp for her wheel chair. According to the LAW, they notified her she must get it painted. After several according to the LAW notices they started fining her.

THINK-who was right? The neighbor or neighbors who reported her or the neighbors who got together and painted it for her?
They were both right. The law says it must be painted, and her kind neighbors got together and painted it. Both "law" and "humanity" were satisfied.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Skimmed a couple of articles there just now, the one about vacant homes and weeds and overgrown shrubs and mold seemed pretty important. They're not allowed to do anything other than mow the lawn and weed, when a home is abandoned due to death or someone with Power of Attorney not understanding things or the owner no longer living there and not being able to afford the upkeep anymore.

Is it possible, and permissible, to have a volunteer emergency club that exists exclusively to assist with things like this? Surely some kind neighbors would love nothing more than to trim the hedges, sweep the outside porch, and hose off any mildew on the outside of the structure once every few weeks, swipe a swiffer on external windows, etc. There'd need to be some kind of criteria met - death and a prolonged probate period would qualify, as would a homeowner transferred to a memory care facility and the executor being overwhelmed and just needing someone to lend a hand with these kinds of details while they sort out the estate. Volunteers could sign a hold harmless, so there wouldn't be any insurance issues. There'd be no planting of new things, no beautification, no building, nothing like that. A free temporary short-term emergency service that would not infringe on the rights of commercial ventures who need to earn a living doing the same things. Just simple minor maintenance to minimize the risk of vermin, overgrowth, and decay, for a specified time period.
And that would be called trespassing.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
They were both right. The law says it must be painted, and her kind neighbors got together and painted it. Both "law" and "humanity" were satisfied.
Stuff the the 'rights' of it.
The person who reported her, was an AH.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Excellent idea!

Although I'm already paid up for the next three years, because of their tireless efforts (unpaid to boot), an additional donation in appreciation...is definitely something I will do.

Until he moves here and I can get him a real subscription...I'll make it an honorary donation from Ken'swing.
Save your money. Just give me your login info so I can read the articles.. Maybe we can petition the POA to allow limited memberships to nonresidents?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

Last edited by Kenswing; 04-04-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,375 Times in 3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
And that would be called trespassing.
I guess you're missing the part about asking if it's permissible, and signing a hold harmless, and "assisting" someone else. That would, by implication, mean that someone else knows he/she is being assisted.

It's not trespassing if you are given permission to do it, by whichever authority is authorized to give permission to do it. Whether the homeowner him/herself, or the Power of Attorney holder, or the Executor of the Estate, or other authorized persons who, themselves, have permission to make those decisions on behalf of the homeowner.
Old 04-04-2019, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Save your money. Just give me your login info so I can read the articles.. Maybe we can petition the POA to allow limited memberships to nonresidents?
Be aware, unless you already are....the POA was the FIRST such group.

The current VHA came into existence as a result of a failed takeover of the POA, and not even done cleverly, by the developer. That failed attempt resulted in the formation of the current developer backed VHA.

This is only offered because in my 19 years living here, most think the POA was the insurgent group.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post

I don't read it online (didn't even know you could), I just wait with bated breath every month...until it shows up in my driveway.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:04 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,749 Posts

Andrew Blechman wrote about POA/VHA history in some depth in his book, "Leisureville". I found it quite revealing and informative.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-04-2019, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post

The current VHA came into existence as a result of a failed takeover of the POA, and not even done cleverly, by the developer. That failed attempt resulted in the formation of the current developer backed VHA.

This is only offered because in my 19 years living here, most think the POA was the insurgent group.
Had no idea. Thanks. Just found their website.. Home Page - The VHA

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 04-04-2019, 03:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post

I actually wasn't aware of that...so thanks for the history.

It does seem quite strange to me though, that some seem to have a real negative knee-jerk reaction toward something that is simply trying to provide some info, a balancing viewpoint and a peek behind the curtain...in addition to primarily advocating for us residents.

What's so darned wrong with that?

I really...don't get it.
Closed Thread

Tags
blinds, opinions, lower, facts, tend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.