Daily Sun

Closed Thread
Old 02-17-2015, 06:37 PM
Gold member
Default Daily Sun

What do you think of the new look to the paper today? I'm not sure yet how I feel about it, I just felt disorganized when reading it today. Guess I'll get used to it tho.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:44 PM
Veteran member

I was very happy that they are actually delivering more world news instead of features on someone's bottle cap collection. Seriously, I really want a newspaper. I also want to know about the guy who has bottle caps, but not above the front fold on page 1. I wish they would change the world map to an actual map instead of a stylized origami facsimile. Too few people even know where smaller countries are in the world. I love the Daily Sun for all its good points and I am happy with the change i like the news about our wonderful community, but I know my geography. Unfortunately not all do.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:06 PM
Platinum member

I thought it was a good start!!
Old 02-17-2015, 11:05 PM

The world map is a good addition, but making it artistic at the cost of easy functionality is ridiculous. They also greatly reduced the amount of news-by-state. I am not sure why they consider that an improvement, unless they are eliminating any "unimportant" news, which would seem to go against its general theme.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:04 AM
Veteran member

It looks like the Pinterest board of an eight year old.....
Old 02-18-2015, 05:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

I liked the fact that they are slowly making it into a real newspaper - keep up the good work, but I could not find our financial section. Either I did not get one, or it was buried somewhere and I missed it. Oooops, found my financial section this morning, it is buried in Local News which is rather strange, but maybe they are finding a home for it elsewhere ...........

My other half noticed the changes this morning and thought they were a big improvement.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 02-18-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:38 AM

I felt it was disorganized as well. Am reading less articles in this new format. Don't know where to focus so just pass over it all. I'm sure I'll get used to it as well or I'll just keep skipping over things I would other wise have read.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:41 AM
Gold member

I don't like it either. I would rather see a section on "The News" and another section on "The Villages".
Old 02-18-2015, 09:04 AM

I like the changes and find I'm actually spending a lot more time READING the paper. I agree with the suggestion about showing an actual world map rather than the stylized one - my geography sense isn't as strong as it should be.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:25 AM
Gold member

I think that stylized map of world takes away from the actual news on those pages. I agree about the elimination of the little snippets from more states, there were some interesting facts buried in those snippets. They seem to want to highlight states that have clubs here in The Villages.
It usually takes about 6 weeks to get used to a news thing, so the jury is still out.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:34 AM

I believe the financial stuff has always been anchored in the middle of the local section, so I don't think that was part of the change.

I do feel like it's delivering more news in this format. I don't mind the cut in states on that coast page. Most of it wasn't interesting ( to me) unless my hometown popped up that day. But I guess now theres less of a chance for that to happen for each subscriber now.

Overall it's a step in the right direction, but I'll withhold my judgement until they mess with the sports.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

the geometric world map or what ever it is supposed to be is ridicupous in appearance.

Just show a functional world map and eliminate trying to look like a new treatment of an old subject that needs no new treatment.

Also I hope everybody that has a compliment or criticism is doing so to the newspaper folks as well.

I hope they get rid of the not so map, map!
Old 02-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I like the new format, in fact I find myself taking about 15 more minutes to go through the paper. The conservation Fox News slant is easy to see through, it would probably be better if they had some independent type columnist since TV voting has been about 60/40 Republican Democrat. That was the wishes of the developer, so things will probably stay the same.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:12 PM
Veteran member

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I did not see a notation with an email address to send comments. Can anyone post the email for the Daily Sun so I can direct my comments directly to them? Without writing a snail mail letter that goes to the wrong department?
Old 02-20-2015, 10:38 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but I did not see a notation with an email address to send comments. Can anyone post the email for the Daily Sun so I can direct my comments directly to them? Without writing a snail mail letter that goes to the wrong department?
If you search The Village Daily Sun on line, Go to the bottom of the page and you will see "email us", click on that to email them. HTH

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.