A Thank-You To My Snowbird Friends

Closed Thread
Old 09-28-2021, 12:02 PM
Default A Thank-You To My Snowbird Friends

As a newbie to The Villages, several of my neighbors have done a great job by providing me with advice on all aspects of living here. Strangely to me, one of my neighbors also warned me to be careful in the coming months when the influx of snowbirds come down to The Villages and overtake the area.

That statement appeared wrong to me as I told my neighbor that we should welcome back the snowbirds as they bring money, jobs and excitement to The Villages. Snowbirds are sometimes wealthier than the typical full-time Villager as many snowbirds own more than one home and spend their money here. These snowbirds also pay year-round taxes and Villages fees although many only live here part-time. Also, the rental fee's some snowbirds pay will cover the entire yearly cost of the mortgage payment for some homeowners.

Although I welcome the Snowbirds, my neighbor appeared upset and refused to understand that snowbirds bring prosperity to The Villages and makes The Villages a better place to live year round.

Last edited by Penglobal; 09-28-2021 at 03:15 PM.
Old 09-28-2021, 12:05 PM

Yeah, lets revisit your feelings after you have lived here through a snowbird season.....
Old 09-28-2021, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penglobal View Post
As a newbie to The Villages, several of my neighbors have done a great job by providing me with advice on all aspects of living here. Strangely to me, one of my neighbors also warned me to be careful in the coming months when the influx of snowbirds come down to The Villages and overtake the area.

That statement appeared wrong to me as I told my neighbor that we should welcome back the snowbirds as they bring money, jobs and excitement to The Villages. Snowbirds are many times wealthier than the typical full-time Villager as they many times own more than one home and spend their much of their money here. These snowbirds also pay year-round taxes and Villages fees although many only live here part-time. Also, the rental fee's some snowbirds pay will cover the entire yearly cost of the mortgage payment for some homeowners.

Although I welcome the Snowbirds, my neighbor appeared upset and refused to understand that snowbirds bring prosperity to The Villages and makes The Villages a better place to live year round.
I agree with you and welcome the snowbirds. Without them there would be less amenities and shopping choices.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

OP, you are correct. However, it becomes harder to find your usual products at the grocery store, there is a higher traffic volume, restaurants become more than packed with long waiting times, and more people become lost, not knowing where the cart lanes are and end up on non-cart roads. It can be challenging.

I have several friends who come down for the winter, and I am always happy to see them again.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:21 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

We all know that they help the economy and the businesses really are happy to see them but when you add them to the new family housing being built all around TV, apartments in and on the outskirts of TV, lots of new industrial space being built, it's gonna be a long winter.
Old 09-28-2021, 01:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Finally. Our annual Snowbird thread.

I love Snowbirds, for without them this place would be packed year round instead of just for 5 months.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 09-28-2021, 02:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Don’t forget about us Snowflakes… Bought our house 2 1/2 years ago and have been down maybe 10 weeks. We have no issues paying our taxes and fees. Will be down the last 2 weeks of October and we are so looking forward to it.
Old 09-28-2021, 02:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
However, it becomes harder to find your usual products at the grocery store, there is a higher traffic volume, restaurants become more than packed with long waiting times,
We are living here full time and are smart about this.
We shop, eat out, travel on off hours.

Love you birds, bring money.......
Old 09-28-2021, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,358 Times in 2,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
Yeah, lets revisit your feelings after you have lived here through a snowbird season.....
Would you rather have all the properties full, with the same pressure on facilities throughout the year, which is the alternative?
Old 09-28-2021, 03:24 PM

Also remember that most snowbirds can't file for homestead exceptions and they pay real estate taxes proportionally higher than the full time Villager.

On my block, there are two exact homes and valued basically the same. Last year house # 1 owned by a Floridan who took advantage of "save our homes" taxes payed $ 4915 & the exact same home but owned by a fellow mate from Pennsylvania paid $7844 in real estate taxes. The unfortunate thing is the mate from PA only lives here part time.

So once again, thank you snowbirds.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penglobal View Post
Also remember that most snowbirds can't file for homestead exceptions and they pay real estate taxes proportionally higher than the full time Villager.

On my block, there are two exact homes and valued basically the same. Last year house # 1 owned by a Floridan who took advantage of "save our homes" taxes payed $ 4915 & the exact same home but owned by a fellow mate from Pennsylvania paid $7844 in real estate taxes. The unfortunate thing is the mate from PA only lives here part time.

So once again, thank you snowbirds.
We rented for a couple of winters, bought in the Spring of 2020.. I plan to become a Florida resident shortly to take advantage of the "homestead" deduction next year. In addition I'll pay less in state income taxes. I will still head north for the summer months.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
So you would be very happy if all the snowbirds became full time, and then you could experience high season All Year Long. Just because snowbirds own more than one home, doesn’t make them a bad person, they just like different landscape out their windows, and can afford to do so.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:56 PM

////
Old 09-29-2021, 04:53 AM

People that complain about snowbirds are A} self centered have it my way types...B} jealous because they have to endure the hot hot summer months or just plain complainers. Friendliest hometown at its finest!
Old 09-29-2021, 05:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

That is a very optimistic outlook newbie. Let’s see how it ages.
Closed Thread

Tags
snowbirds, villages, pay, neighbors, appeared

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.