"Theft" news story

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2016, 01:51 PM
Eternal Member
Default "Theft" news story

The online news had an article this morning about a 19 year old boy detained by WalMart security and arrested by Sumter County police.

The boy was drinking a chocolate milk while walking around in the store. The article did not say he tried leaving without paying but rather said he was detained by security. Did the boy have the $1.54 with him to pay for the milk? Was he going to pay for the drink when he was ready to leave? Did he attempt to leave without paying? Too many unanswered questions. And then that the police actually took him into custody, booked him, and a $500 bond. I would think the police officer would have rolled his eyes at the WalMart security and paid the $1.54 himself. There was nothing in the article to say this boy had a criminal past. For all that time and paperwork, the boy will get no punishment from the court - and any junior attorney should be able to get him cleared completely.

How many times have we all seen a mother or grandmother give a child a bag of chips or a candy bar in the store to keep them happy? Are ALL of those paid for? Do those mothers or grandmothers get detained by security and arrested? Of course not!

Then, the comments on the article by readers!! Talking about the boy like he was a career criminal and how they all began working at age 12.

Very poor reporting by the online news, but poor judgement on WalMart and Sumter County police.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:56 PM
Sage

A 19 year is not a child, they can vote, join the military on their own and die for our country without any adult consent.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:10 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
A 19 year is not a child, they can vote, join the military on their own and die for our country without any adult consent.
I never said "child". I said "boy".

It would not make any difference if he was 19 or 84. Do you believe WalMart would detain an 84 year old man for walking around the store while drinking a milk valued at $1.54? Do you think that Sumter County police would have arrested the 84 year old man for petit theft, booked him, and have him post a $500 bond?

Of course not!
Old 06-01-2016, 02:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Statutes & Constitution
:View Statutes
:

Online Sunshine

The FL Statute seems to give the Judge a lot of leeway for petit theft.

Florida Petty Theft Charge: FL Penalties and Defense | Criminal Law

Petit Theft- Florida | Definition, Penalties, Defenses
Old 06-01-2016, 02:23 PM
Sage

I agree it's not the crime of the century but this 19 year old shouldn't be ingesting food, unless he had the money to pay for it and was willing to do so.

It seems this is the up to the discretion of Walmart and the police. It seems to be more to this story, that wasn't reported.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 06-01-2016, 02:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
I never said "child". I said "boy".

It would not make any difference if he was 19 or 84. Do you believe WalMart would detain an 84 year old man for walking around the store while drinking a milk valued at $1.54? Do you think that Sumter County police would have arrested the 84 year old man for petit theft, booked him, and have him post a $500 bond?

Of course not!
I agree with you. This is overkill unless he tried to leave the store without paying.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I agree with you. This is overkill unless he tried to leave the store without paying.
It is not clear that he was going to leave the store without paying for the milk.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

At what point does WalMart say "enough is enough?" I notice that they frequently have people arrested for shoplifting. This cost is passed on to us. Technically, if something is consumed before paying for it I would think that is illegal. Where do you draw the line? This person is old enough to know better. Let the judge sort it out.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

IMO only crime if he threw the bottle away and didn't pay for it. IMO if he's in the store and has the bottle it's still on him to pay for it. He probably tried to throw the bottle in the trash and walk out without paying for it. ME I would have paid first and drank later, and if i was so thirsty I would make sure I had the receipt while drinking it in the store. I imagine Wally World has lots of eat as you shopping without paying for it. Like produce by the pound when you see bunch of empty grapes on the vines?
Old 06-01-2016, 04:11 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

My parents taught me to pay for food and drink in a store before I ate or imbibed.

IMHO what the young man was doing was churlish, if not thievery. There has to be more to this story...

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-01-2016, 04:14 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
At what point does WalMart say "enough is enough?" I notice that they frequently have people arrested for shoplifting. This cost is passed on to us. Technically, if something is consumed before paying for it I would think that is illegal. Where do you draw the line? This person is old enough to know better. Let the judge sort it out.
I would say UNLESS the boy attempted to leave the store without paying the $1.54, there is no case of petit theft.

What about the mothers and grandmothers who let their child eat a candy bar and "forget" to pay when checking out? Arrest them, too?

Again, I wonder IF it were an 84 year old man or woman consuming that milk. Would they get arrested?

No, do not pass this onto the judges. Let common sense prevail.
Old 06-01-2016, 05:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
How many times have we all seen a mother or grandmother give a child a bag of chips or a candy bar in the store to keep them happy? Are ALL of those paid for? Do those mothers or grandmothers get detained by security and arrested? Of course not!
I must of been raised by zero tolerance parents. It did pay off, I never stole or shoplifted anything in my life from a store.

I'll have to keep an eye out for those grandparents that take food off the shelf and unwrap the package and feed their toddlers. Isn't that what pacifiers are for? If they're too big for that, then maybe someone needs a time out instead of sticking more food in their mouth, unless you want them to weight 160 pounds at age 12. We have a whole website dedicated to them, it's called "People of Walmart". People Of Walmart - Funny Pictures of People Shopping at Walmart : People Of Walmart

The Villages Florida
Old 06-01-2016, 06:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
I would say UNLESS the boy attempted to leave the store without paying the $1.54, there is no case of petit theft.
So the store's prevention officer should have to keep an eye on this kid while he meanders through the store for two hours while some other guy runs off with a $800 TV. I'm sure they have a whole posse of loss prevention officers just waiting to watch people eat their product. Sounds reasonable to me, or maybe we should just let them eat anything they want and use the honor system as you say. It's a wonder they can even see all this stuff when you have to watch several self-checkout registers, the thief back in electronics and then the kid with the candy bar. Maybe we should just baby-sit everyone and wait until they leave the store and then have to run them down in the parking lot and hope they don't pull a gun, a knife or run you over with their car.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
= Maybe we should just baby-sit everyone and wait until they leave the store and then have to run them down in the parking lot and hope they don't pull a gun, a knife or run you over with their car.

Who in the h e l l said anything about a TV a gun or a knife? This was a chocolate milk!! Maybe I should call the police on people who are using Public Aid - they after all are stealing from me (and you and all of us).
Old 06-01-2016, 09:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

My reasoning for siding with Walmart is my own history of getting popped for stealing spray paint for a model car when I was about 12 years old. Then a speeding ticket when I had my license for about 3 months. Neither the security man in the store or the officer let me go or put me in jail. Both gave me a penalty that was worse they handed me over to my father. This was before the days of political correctness. The look of disappointment both times and the beating that came with each situation may have kept me from bigger problems. We'll never know. The security guard may have done this person a big favor...we'll never know.
Closed Thread

Tags
boy, security, police, article, walmart

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.