Theft Of Suitcases This Morning, 3/22/2011

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Default Asking for help & be aware!

In the Poinciana area (Sullivan Villages specifically) one of the neighbors placed her luggage on the curb waiting for the shuttle to the airport. So much for a secure area (dead end street). In the house for a short period to come out and find it gone. We are speculating that since it is trash day someone was combing the area for items that might be of use. Trash is still here so it wasn't picked up by mistake. There are items of value but certain papers/files where in the cases and are of importance. If any one notices a pair of discarded suitcases (large black & gray roll aboard) anywhere around or has seen anything or anyone searching the area please respond to this message. Community watch and Police have been notified. Reward offer.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Default Theft Of Suitcases This Morning, 3/22/2011

At about 11:30 am this morning, our friend's suitcases were stolen from her driveway when she went into the house to close up. When she returned to the driveway to meet the airport shuttle, her suitcases had been taken.

She lives on Bonham Lane in Sullivan Villas. She had important papers in her carry-on and her jewelry, including her U of Kentucky earrings from college days. She reported the theft to the police, who naturally said, "There's not much we can do."

Be cautious. As unlikely as such events are, especially here in The Villages, it can happen. And, if anyone tries to sell you some UK earrings, please identify them to the police.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Platinum member

I really think that someone thought that it was to be thrown away.
Anything decent that is near the trash is usually picked up by trash pickers before the truck comes by. And, possibly someone will realize the error and try to find the owner. May have to post flyers or something, because who (whom?) ever picked it up probably doesn't know where to return it.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Veteran member

How horrible and sad. Check neighbors around that house to see if anyone has a surveillance camera that might have captured anything helpful; also is there any gated entrance nearby and does it have a surveillance camera that could be checked? - I'm not sure if this is done at the gates or not.

Since so many important and valued belongings were taken, I would also think about putting an ad in the paper offering a reward; just in case 'someone who knows something' bites.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 PM

I seem to agree that it was a mistake. surely they will realize this. We always set stuff out my the end of our driveway and people take it. we never have to hall anything away. sometimes they come to the door and ask but usually it is fair game. Hope they are returned. We still live in Indiana.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Default UK Earrings In Stolen Suitcases

Freeda,

I see you are from Kentucky. One of the most upsetting losses in the stolen suitcases was a pair of UK earrings she had had since a cheerleader at UK.

Jerry
Old 03-22-2011, 01:40 PM
Sage

I'm sorry to hear of this unfortunate incident. I would never had thought sometime so bad could happen in a short time.

I hope she recovers all of her valuables.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Platinum member

There is another post about this. I believe that the trash pickers thought it was for the trash and picked it up before the trash trucks arrived.

That said, if everyone believes that is was a theft, instead of an honest mistake, the pickers will be less apt to return it, being afraid of being accused of theft.

Put out posters, perhaps offering a reward, for the no questions asked return of the suitcases.

I know that almost anything put on the curb is picked up in a short time by someone. Maybe, hopefully, this is the case. A misunderstanding.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Veteran member

Yup today was trash-pickup day! I'd call the trash company to inquire if they have them. They may be full of "yuck" but it would be worth getting the important stuff back. THIS really is a terrible thing to happen. I feel so sorry for the lady and the stress of the incident!! But next time we travel it will make us stop and think!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
There is another post about this. I believe that the trash pickers thought it was for the trash and picked it up before the trash trucks arrived.

That said, if everyone believes that is was a theft, instead of an honest mistake, the pickers will be less apt to return it, being afraid of being accused of theft.

Put out posters, perhaps offering a reward, for the no questions asked return of the suitcases.

I know that almost anything put on the curb is picked up in a short time by someone. Maybe, hopefully, this is the case. A misunderstanding.
Good points.

Was the airport shuttle picking her up at her driveway?? I didn't think they did that. Was the shuttle there when she came back outside? If so, was the driver new?

I'd also check around with neighbors. It's possible they saw an unfamiliar car or something, but didn't know about the missing suitcase.

I'm very sorry to read this and hope somehow she gets her belongings back.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

The guys on those garbage truck pick up anything that is at the end of the dirveway....even useable stuff gets tossed in the crusher. Was the suitcase at the end of the driveway??
Old 03-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Platinum member

How/why would anyone think that they were "junk" or just being tossed simply because of the weight when they picked them up? DUH! Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 03-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Jersey. Is it your neighbor?

I only ask because sometimes rumors get started and are passed like wildfire.

Anyway, is this someone YOU know or a neighbor of someone you know?

I hope it was a mistake.

How early was it? The shuttle picks up Sweetie at our home sometime as early as four in the morning.

It doesn't seem probable that someone is going to hang out that early waiting to steal someone's luggage.

I am just trying to find out the exact facts.

Please don't be hurt by these questions.
Old 03-22-2011, 03:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandbrare View Post
Freeda,

I see you are from Kentucky. One of the most upsetting losses in the stolen suitcases was a pair of UK earrings she had had since a cheerleader at UK.

Jerry
Hi, Jerry, yes, I saw that; and Lexington (where Univ of Ky is, for those who don't know) was my hometown; so that made me extra sad for her. Those irreplaceable keepsakes mean so much. I hope that she recovers them.

Measure your wealth not by the things that you have, but by the things you have for which you wouldn't take money.
The world needs dreamers; the world needs 'do'-ers. But most of all, the world needs dreamers who are do-ers.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:27 PM
Sage

P, just answering the part of your question about the shuttle picking you up at your home. No, the shuttle doesn't. BUT, the shuttle service will send a taxi to pick you and your luggage up from your front door. There is no additional charge.

I took the shuttle back to Orlando airport in February and was shocked and awed when I called about the shuttle and was asked if I needed a ride from my house to the shuttle. You just need to request the taxi a day in advance. This life is amazing and wonderful.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.