Theft Of Suitcases This Morning, 3/22/2011

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2011, 05:31 PM
Sage

This is very sad. However, I doubt it would be the garbage truck at 11:30 in the morning, unless it was very, very late.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

From my understanding of what was written, it was definitely not the garbage company -- they came after. I'm willing to bet it was someone who drove by, saw a nice suitcase near the trash and thought it was to be thrown away. They, in all innocence (since this is a common practice in TV, picked up the suitcase and went on their merry way. Hopefully, when they open the suitcase, they'll figure out that it was not trash but rather was someone going on a trip and will return it (if not too embarassed). Even so, I would definitely put an ad in the paper and put out flyers offering a small reward and no questions asked so that whoever took it won't be embarassed to bring it back.

I would say the one lesson is never put something close to the curb that isn't okay to pick up, regardless of the day. Many of us are thrilled with the "bargains" we've found on drive-bys. If it is close to the curb, it is assumed that it is there for the taking. That's just the way of things here.

I truly hope your neighbor gets her belongings back.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

Lesson is don't put stuff out on the driveway and leave it.
I hope they find it.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:25 PM
Default Shuttles and Shuttles

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
P, just answering the part of your question about the shuttle picking you up at your home. No, the shuttle doesn't. BUT, the shuttle service will send a taxi to pick you and your luggage up from your front door. There is no additional charge.

I took the shuttle back to Orlando airport in February and was shocked and awed when I called about the shuttle and was asked if I needed a ride from my house to the shuttle. You just need to request the taxi a day in advance. This life is amazing and wonderful.
Actually, she uses a "private" shuttle service that picks up at the door and drives to the airport, not a taxi to the shuttle stations here in The Villages.

Jerry
Old 03-22-2011, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
This is very sad. However, I doubt it would be the garbage truck at 11:30 in the morning, unless it was very, very late.
Was probably earlier, as she called about 11:30 am and she had already called and been interviewed by the police.

Lesson: Be especially careful about what you set on your driveway on garbage day. The scavengers are about and not always honest folk.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
From my understanding of what was written, it was definitely not the garbage company -- they came after. I'm willing to bet it was someone who drove by, saw a nice suitcase near the trash and thought it was to be thrown away. They, in all innocence (since this is a common practice in TV, picked up the suitcase and went on their merry way. Hopefully, when they open the suitcase, they'll figure out that it was not trash but rather was someone going on a trip and will return it (if not too embarassed). Even so, I would definitely put an ad in the paper and put out flyers offering a small reward and no questions asked so that whoever took it won't be embarassed to bring it back.

I would say the one lesson is never put something close to the curb that isn't okay to pick up, regardless of the day. Many of us are thrilled with the "bargains" we've found on drive-bys. If it is close to the curb, it is assumed that it is there for the taking. That's just the way of things here.

I truly hope your neighbor gets her belongings back.
Not only here......its like that everywhere.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:41 PM
Veteran member

We live in Belvedere and the trash pick up has been as late as 11:30 recently ---Also know that there are people who drive by on trash day and take things that they view as non-trash. When we first moved here we put out a grill on trash day that was in the backyard and rusted through and through. Before the trash collectors came, someone stopped and asked if they could take it---he said his "boss" told him if he saw things that might be "good" on trash day to stop and collect if o.k. with owners. He took the grill. We put out bathroom scales a few weeks ago with the trash and they were gone before the trash man came. I hate this happened---could have been a theft--could have been the trash men and could have been those "gleaners" that come through the neighborhoods. I hope she can recover her items--I can't imagine how she must feel --so violated --especially losing those items that cannot be replaced.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default Luggage and private shuttle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandbrare View Post
Actually, she uses a "private" shuttle service that picks up at the door and drives to the airport, not a taxi to the shuttle stations here in The Villages.

Jerry
-----------------
So sorry about the missing luggage. What a nightmare!
Could you kindly give me the name of the private shuttle company? Thanx!
Old 03-22-2011, 06:56 PM
Default No mistake

Gracie - It was my neighbor. Happened about 11:15 am. It was no mistake someone would know suitcases were full and not out for disposal. They were separated from trash pickup.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyvillager View Post
Gracie - It was my neighbor. Happened about 11:15 am. It was no mistake someone would know suitcases were full and not out for disposal. They were separated from trash pickup.
AWFUL! So it was in broad daylight. And Villa streets do not get much drive through traffic either.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyvillager View Post
Don't forget that we have a lot of workers in TV. They may drive by at any hour, see something (put out near trash) and pick it up. Just my thought.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts
Default For those who cruise TV looking for stuff at the curb

they would not go through an evaluation of is this good or not...are they full or not...or any other decision than hey there is some "stuff" at the curb.

The possible wrong doing would be when they open the suit cases and see the contents, how packed. I say possible because here again, they could simply assume it was stuff being tossed.

When we take our stuff to the Goodwill drop off, everything is all neatly folded and "packed"........

It is sad that it happened, however after the fact, the unfortunate reality is the owner and the "collector" share equal guilt!

btk
Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
they would not go through an evaluation of is this good or not...are they full or not...or any other decision than hey there is some "stuff" at the curb.

The possible wrong doing would be when they open the suit cases and see the contents, how packed. I say possible because here again, they could simply assume it was stuff being tossed.

When we take our stuff to the Goodwill drop off, everything is all neatly folded and "packed"........

It is sad that it happened, however after the fact, the unfortunate reality is the owner and the "collector" share equal guilt!

btk
OR...if it was scavengers, perhaps when they DID open it, they forgot where they got it exactly. But then you said there were papers inside....

Gracie, trying to find some good in this.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Replay

Maybe a replay should be done. Place a nice item by the street on the next pickup day and sit in 2 cars in driveways on opposite sides of the house and wait and see. Maybe you'll catch the person. Set a trap catch a mouse.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:50 AM
Veteran member
Default Daily Sun article

I read the article in the Daily Sun this morning on this loss. It seemed to indicate that the trash pickup very well could have been the culprit. The newspaper article states the suitcaees were on the curb in front of her home at about 11 a.m. before her airport shuttle ride arrived Tuesday afternoon. How long was she planning to leave them outside?

No matter where I was living, would I expect anyone to leave 2 unattended suitcases at the end of your driveway - near the trash - with valuable contents in the suitcases totalling about $5,000. Airlines continually tell us NOT to pack jewelry, or very hard to replace items such as legal files, gifts, and address books in checked suitcases. If the jewelry was in carry-on bag, it should have stayed on the woman's arm instead of being put outside unattended. Personally, I never have heard of carrying a basketball inside of a suitcase, either.

It is too bad this accident happened but a lot of the fault goes to the victim. It will be quite hard for her, I'm sure, to collect from her insurance company.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.