Theft Of Suitcases This Morning, 3/22/2011

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2011, 02:39 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Jerseyvillager,

Good comments....

However, most of us know that the "reporting" in the Daily Sun is anything but fair or factual. If we all think of it as a marketing sheet and not a newspaper, it keeps ones BP to reasonable levels.

Secondly, It really could have been mistaken for trash, just not by the actual trash guys from CH2M-Hill. As many of us have stated, pickers and gleaners from inside TV and out look for treasures on trash days.

Here's hoping that an honest person returns your neighbor's possessions.

Last edited by katezbox; 03-25-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 03-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Founder

It clearly was a theft.

Even a so called "picker" is guilty of theft when they grab something that they fully realize is not trash. When they got it home, and saw it was not trash and didn't bring it back, it was stolen. It was a thief who took it.

The owners certainly had their garage door or front door open. No matter how anybody wants to sugar coat it, it was taken by a thief.

Regarding the Daily Sun's distortion of the facts, one has to wonder which stories to believe or not believe. Important stories that have a significant impact on residents are now suspect.

I was a news reporter for 35 + years and am very sensitive to creditabity in reporting. With one lie, all other words must be considred lies as well.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:54 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default Maybe there needs to be an alternative to the daily sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
It clearly was a theft.

Even a so called "picker" is guilty of theft when they grab something that they fully realize is not trash. When they got it home, and saw it was not trash and didn't bring it back, it was stolen. It was a thief who took it.

The owners certainly had their garage door or front door open. No matter how anybody wants to sugar coat it, it was taken by a thief.

Regarding the Daily Sun's distortion of the facts, one has to wonder which stories to believe or not believe. Important stories that have a significant impact on residents are now suspect.

I was a news reporter for 35 + years and am very sensitive to creditabity in reporting. With one lie, all other words must be considred lies as well.
I keep reading that the Sun is not much more than a developer adv for the villages. Seems there are lots of gifted writers in the villages maybe an online newspaper would be a good alternative. Just a thought.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:04 PM
Veteran member

The Daily Sun is a fine little hometown paper. It comes out every day, is very inexpensive, has great comedic editorials and columnists (Ollie North, Ann Coulter), and has enough news to be interesting but not depressing. The human interest items are fun to read, too.

If you want to read a paper with more substantive material, go online to New York Times, Washington Post, Washington Times, or even the hometown papers from whence you came. That is a good alternative to do or in addition to the Daily Sun.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
The Daily Sun is a fine little hometown paper. It comes out every day, is very inexpensive, has great comedic editorials and columnists (Ollie North, Ann Coulter), and has enough news to be interesting but not depressing. The human interest items are fun to read, too.

If you want to read a paper with more substantive material, go online to New York Times, Washington Post, Washington Times, or even the hometown papers from whence you came. That is a good alternative to do or in addition to the Daily Sun.
I read the Sun with my coffee every morning. I like it.

It is much better than the community news that we got once a week back in West Chester, Ohio but not as good as our Daily Cincinnati Enquirer. However... Cincinnati is a LOT bigger than The Villages.

It has a lot of interesting stuff from the AP wire as well.

It also has columns and columnists from surrounding communities, which I think is kinda nice since it is a vehicle for the developer of The Villages.

I particularly like to see all of the fun that others are having here. AND the interesting lives people have led before they arrived here.

I think that the article may have allowed people to think that it was picked up by the trash people. Be it the big truck or the other guys who come and pick up things from the curb. Which it well could have been...picked up by a scavenger.

We won't know. The person that has it knows. Keeping it is stealing, just as talk host says....

in my very humble opinion.

I never have $5000 worth of stuff in my checked luggage. If I have something valuable, I carry it in my purse. I think we need to learn from this.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Gold member

$5000 in the suitcases, Sounds fishy, Put out in the driveway,something is not right. Blame on the pickers, something is not adding up. Maybe insurance claim. I do not know.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:33 AM
Default Please don't Question

Please don't question the integrity of a professional women who within minutes of the incident needs to talk to a police officer and provide a "basic" list of what she lost; while in a state of distress. How do you put a value on family heirlooms, treasured jewelry, important legal papers, etc. The only thing "fishy" here is how some scavenger couldn't tell luggage from trash.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:04 AM
Gold member

My point, I do not think anyone would question if something is left near the garbage,looks to good.I have seen some really nice stuff tossed away.The question is she made a mistake,but is it really theft.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:07 AM
Platinum member

According to earlier posts in this thread (#3 for instance), the papers and jewelry were in her carry-on and not the luggage to be checked.

This incident reminds us once again that even here in TV there is crime.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 03-26-2011, 07:22 AM
Default right on

Jersey villager is right on. I agree and all who do not are living in a world were deception and hope has the possibility of replacing reality. It is not wrong to hope for the best but give this poor lady our compassion that she deserves. We all done things that place trust in our fellow mankind and that trust has been let down. We should not blame the victim. As far as insurance claims you need proof for everything including receipts. My wife had some valuables stolen from a locked vehicle and the paperwork was like an audit from the IRS. Like my wife, She will not get what she lost back in monetary terms at all. The system works against her. Please have some compassion for this THEFT. My heart goes out to her. People who say let this be a lesson to learn, I can only hope they do not have to learn a lesson like this where they true are victimized by mankind. We who have so much of life experiences and so called education of hard knocks, need to not lose are compassion, understanding, and caring for our fellow mankind. Just put your self in the others shoes before you blame. I am as guilty of this as the rest of us if not more because of being opinionated.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
According to earlier posts in this thread (#3 for instance), the papers and jewelry were in her carry-on and not the luggage to be checked.

This incident reminds us once again that even here in TV there is crime.
Thank you Dillywho. These theads become so long sometimes that we lose the gist of the original posts. I too made a wrong assumption. I am sorry.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:34 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroll View Post
Jersey villager is right on. I agree and all who do not are living in a world were deception and hope has the possibility of replacing reality. It is not wrong to hope for the best but give this poor lady our compassion that she deserves. We all done things that place trust in our fellow mankind and that trust has been let down. We should not blame the victim. As far as insurance claims you need proof for everything including receipts. My wife had some valuables stolen from a locked vehicle and the paperwork was like an audit from the IRS. Like my wife, She will not get what she lost back in monetary terms at all. The system works against her. Please have some compassion for this THEFT. My heart goes out to her. People who say let this be a lesson to learn, I can only hope they do not have to learn a lesson like this where they true are victimized by mankind. We who have so much of life experiences and so called education of hard knocks, need to not lose are compassion, understanding, and caring for our fellow mankind. Just put your self in the others shoes before you blame. I am as guilty of this as the rest of us if not more because of being opinionated.
I don't think that there is a one here that does not feel for this lady. She has to be totally devastated. Most seem to just be reminding us all that we no longer live in a world, including TV, in which we can be so trusting as in days of old. I remember the days when the only time you ever locked a door was if you were leaving town for an extended time and you only shut the windows to keep out the rain or the dust from the major dust storms we would sometimes have.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 03-26-2011, 07:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scroll View Post
What a good person you are and what a good reminder. I needed it. Hugs to you.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.