Theives

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2017, 08:46 AM
Sage
Default Theives

As I sit on my lanai this Memorial Day in my P.J's, thinking of those who gave their lives so I could enjoy my life, I have been disheartened. I live on Fort Walton Golf course and rarely do I get a golf ball in my yard that was misdirected. However, a few days ago I did and decided to leave it there so if I wanted to practice putting I had a ball right there. It was misdirected on my putting green in my yard, which sits blow and about 20-25 feet from the course. As I sit here reading, I happened to look up to see a man walking from my putting green back onto the golf course.......he had the golf ball in his hand, approaching the ball washing machine. I was taken back as I never thought that someone would have the "balls" to come that far off the course and my property to take something that clearly wasn't theirs. Since I was sitting probably where he couldn't see me, apparently he thought it was OK to take that golf ball since nobody saw him. If I had been dressed I would have gotten up as asked him if it were his ball. Would have been fun to see him squirm and probably lie about it not being his ball. Even if it was his, he cannot go on private property to get it. Now I'm a very friendly golf course home owner and like to chat with golfers if they see me and want to chat, and generally I have no problem with a golfer getting a ball if it rolled down into the "gully" that separates our house and the course or even if it was on my property, but to come and take it from my putting green....well.....that's plain wrong. Happy Memorial Day and thank you to all veterans!!
Old 05-29-2017, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

My first reaction is that he thought it was his ball. He couldn't find where his ball landed. Obviously if the ball landed in your yard, it could be hit into your yard.

I am surprised that you are surprised. It didn't smack of thievery to me.

Yards ARE off limits. BUT...since he wasn't great at direction, he may not be playing with a certain type of ball all the time like some golfers whose shots aren't that errant. In other words he didn't recall what ball he hit.

Stroke and distance?
Old 05-29-2017, 09:33 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl;140***5
My first reaction is that he thought it was his ball. He couldn't find where his ball landed. Obviously if the ball landed in your yard, it could be hit into your yard.

Yards ARE off limits. BUT...since he wasn't great at direction, he may not be playing with a certain type of ball all the time like some golfers whose shots aren't that errant. In other words he didn't recall what ball he hit.

Stroke and distance?
I was actually thinking the same. I don't always remember what ball I'm using. If his shot went that way, he may have thought it was his.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:18 AM
Sage

Same thoughts as gg and Bonnie.

Even though it's technically wrong, it's certainly common practice to go a short ways onto private property to retrieve a clearly visible ball.
Old 05-29-2017, 10:21 AM
Platinum member

The thief was walking towards a ball washing machine. These are always at tee boxes somewhat poo pooing, the theory that it was his wayward shot.

Last edited by Rapscallion St Croix; 05-29-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl;140***5

Stroke and distance?
GG.....since they hadn't teed off yet and I live on the tee, I knew it wasn't his ball. I watched them tee off after this incident so I KNOW it wasn't his ball.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
GG.....since they hadn't teed off yet and I live on the tee, I knew it wasn't his ball. I watched them tee off after this incident so I KNOW it wasn't his ball.
Probably thought he could save a $1 on a golf ball. I do not golf so do not know how much golf balls actually cost.
Old 05-29-2017, 11:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

I am with the original poster - it was intentional thievery. I come to this based upon my experience renting my home in TV. There is a certain percentage of the population that will steal, often at petty amounts. It is a higher percentage than you think!
Old 05-29-2017, 11:27 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default The Thrill Of the Chase

Here is what I once explained to my golfing buddies about guys coming upon apparent errant golf ball.

Do you remember those days when it didn't take much for you to become both attracted and excited. and so the thrill of the race thus began

Well that is the same type of attraction and excitement for some old guys when they stumble upon a golf ball.

What the OP witnessed was one of those guys who had that same sort involuntary response. "Oh my God, he thought, a golf ball sitting all alone my heart be still
Old 05-29-2017, 12:13 PM
Gold member

happens to us all the time. When we find a ball close to the house I usually toss it close to the cart path behind our house.

By the end of the day, the ball is always gone. We think somebody can't find their and just thinks that one is thiers.

Go for it....It wasn't mine to start with....
Old 05-29-2017, 12:29 PM
Sage

If you get a newly hit stray ball on your property, and no one is looking, try to put it in the hole. Jk
Old 05-29-2017, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,499 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
The thief was walking towards a ball washing machine. These are always at tee boxes somewhat poo pooing, the theory that it was his wayward shot.
Rap. I have seen a couple of folks hit their shots sideways off the tee. In forty years I have seen someone hit their shot and it went backward. Granted they hit a tree. Lot of stuff happening on a golf course.

If we were all the same, they would only sell Vanilla Ice Cream.

Never once in my long life would I use the word thief in this situation. I could be wrong. I frequently am.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:55 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,305 Times in 540 Posts

Clearly a golfer should never go on private property to retrieve a golf ball. Three times we have owned golf course property but very rarely got a golf ball in our yard because of our location. I've seen some crazy errant golf shots too in my years of playing. Golf balls aren't that expensive and certainly not worth the hassle of retrieving one from a yard of a owner. Let a sleeping dog (home owner) lie!
Old 05-29-2017, 01:19 PM

Try putting a little grease on it and watch them complain as they stomp off your property. I don't buy the I don't know what ball I hit theory. It is on someone elses property, leave it, pull out another ball and move on. Well at least these folks will be moving to the Championship courses effective June 1st to make their mark there.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
...Never once in my long life would I use the word thief in this situation...
There ya go.
Closed Thread

Tags
ball, golf, putting, property, green

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.