Theives

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2017, 02:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGolf View Post
Try putting a little grease on it and watch them complain as they stomp off your property. I don't buy the I don't know what ball I hit theory. It is on someone elses property, leave it, pull out another ball and move on. Well at least these folks will be moving to the Championship courses effective June 1st to make their mark there.
Ft Walton is a championship course.....................
Old 05-29-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Rap. I have seen a couple of folks hit their shots sideways off the tee. In forty years I have seen someone hit their shot and it went backward. Granted they hit a tree. Lot of stuff happening on a golf course.

If we were all the same, they would only sell Vanilla Ice Cream.

Never once in my long life would I use the word thief in this situation. I could be wrong. I frequently am.
I agree that "thief" is too strong but any one who leaves a golf course and enters private property to retrieve a golf ball, or anything else, proves himself to be self-centered and ill-mannered with a total lack of knowledge of golf course etiquette and with a total lack of respect and common courtesy toward the property owner.
Old 05-29-2017, 03:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Rap. I have seen a couple of folks hit their shots sideways off the tee. In forty years I have seen someone hit their shot and it went backward. Granted they hit a tree. Lot of stuff happening on a golf course.

If we were all the same, they would only sell Vanilla Ice Cream.

Never once in my long life would I use the word thief in this situation. I could be wrong. I frequently am.
I was playing in a tournament at Rheinblick Golf Club in Wiesbaden, Germany, and a guy in my foursome shanked his opening tee shot dead right and through the front door of the club storage building nearly hitting Stevie, who ran that function. The guy reteed and said, "Tough course."
Old 05-29-2017, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

If you had bought a dozen new titleist balls and put them on your putting green scattered about like on a pool table, and someone came and took one, that would be stealing. However, you said you found the ball in your yard after someone's apparent errant shot. You left it there to use to future practice. Used golf balls, I must have a couple of hundred in the garage, I see them and don't pick up probably five to ten in an average round of 18 holes. I don't sweat used golf balls. Move on and consider a lesson learned, if you want to keep a used ball, pick it up and put it away. Used golf balls come and go.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:58 PM
Veteran member

This is why I love TOTV. People can vent here before it gets out of hand. Let’s say, for arguments sake, the guy who took the ball from your property is a thief in every sense of the word. In life we have to pick our battles and a golf ball, or stepping into your yard to retrieve said golf ball, does not warrant a “confrontation.” So often confrontations lead to police which lead to someone getting a ride in the back of a squad car. All for a golf ball??

I’m glad you were in your PJs and not willing to confront. Your situation is just one more thing we put up with living in close proximity to others of the human race.

I don’t golf but I am happy to buy you a dozen quality golf balls for your putting green. I’ll get them with your initials so no one can say it’s their ball from a bad swing. Let me know.
Old 05-29-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
If you had bought a dozen new titleist balls and put them on your putting green scattered about like on a pool table, and someone came and took one, that would be stealing. However, you said you found the ball in your yard after someone's apparent errant shot. You left it there to use to future practice. Used golf balls, I must have a couple of hundred in the garage, I see them and don't pick up probably five to ten in an average round of 18 holes. I don't sweat used golf balls. Move on and consider a lesson learned, if you want to keep a used ball, pick it up and put it away. Used golf balls come and go.
I don't think the op's concern was the loss of a golf ball. The man, without the property owner's permission, walked 20-25 feet on to the op's property and on to a private putting green to take or retrieve a golf ball. That's trespassing. That's a violation of golf course etiquette in The Villages and elsewhere. At best it was a selfish and disrespectful act.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:07 PM
Platinum member

Two thoughts and comments. First, if I hit a ball into someone's yard and it can't be retrieved using a club, l will just leave where it is. The owner or the next person can pick it up. I play Bridgestones btw. Secondly, (and I am sure to get some "hate" replies), I find it ironic that we complain about people coming in to yards to pick up a ball, and complain even louder if someone does not come into a yard to pick up poo.... If the poo could look like golf balls, the world would be a better place!
Old 05-29-2017, 06:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
Two thoughts and comments. First, if I hit a ball into someone's yard and it can't be retrieved using a club, l will just leave where it is. The owner or the next person can pick it up. I play Bridgestones btw. Secondly, (and I am sure to get some "hate" replies), I find it ironic that we complain about people coming in to yards to pick up a ball, and complain even louder if someone does not come into a yard to pick up poo.... If the poo could look like golf balls, the world would be a better place!
You are good and you are smart and you are funny.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:54 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
As I sit on my lanai this Memorial Day in my P.J's, thinking of those who gave their lives so I could enjoy my life, I have been disheartened. I live on Fort Walton Golf course and rarely do I get a golf ball in my yard that was misdirected. However, a few days ago I did and decided to leave it there so if I wanted to practice putting I had a ball right there. It was misdirected on my putting green in my yard, which sits blow and about 20-25 feet from the course. As I sit here reading, I happened to look up to see a man walking from my putting green back onto the golf course.......he had the golf ball in his hand, approaching the ball washing machine. I was taken back as I never thought that someone would have the "balls" to come that far off the course and my property to take something that clearly wasn't theirs. Since I was sitting probably where he couldn't see me, apparently he thought it was OK to take that golf ball since nobody saw him. If I had been dressed I would have gotten up as asked him if it were his ball. Would have been fun to see him squirm and probably lie about it not being his ball. Even if it was his, he cannot go on private property to get it. Now I'm a very friendly golf course home owner and like to chat with golfers if they see me and want to chat, and generally I have no problem with a golfer getting a ball if it rolled down into the "gully" that separates our house and the course or even if it was on my property, but to come and take it from my putting green....well.....that's plain wrong. Happy Memorial Day and thank you to all veterans!!
You should have approached him in that condition!

Then, he probably would have dropped it and taken off and you could add it to your collection of "balls."

Why, that's a win-win situation for everyone! Ahem.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
You should have approached him in that condition!

Then, he probably would have dropped it and taken off and you could add it to your collection of "balls."

Why, that's a win-win situation for everyone! Ahem.
I like this! And I could see you doing it, Mrs. R!!
Old 05-31-2017, 05:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

I'm with the OP as well, although I think the term "thief" is a bit harsh. If this is the house I think it is (left of #8 tee Fort Walton with the cute little astroturf green), there is no way to hit a ball there, short of a weird ricochet. So it would appear to be a case of over-exuberant ball hawking.

If I hit one into a yard, I leave it unless I can reach it with a ball retriever while standing outside the property line. On the other hand, on the rare occasion someone hits it into my yard, they can feel free to walk in an get it. Most golfers are very respectful of private property and I've even had to convince one it was OK to walk into my yard to get it.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I like this! And I could see you doing it, Mrs. R!!
I thought it was her.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,317 Times in 2,054 Posts

If a $20 bill blows on your yard, whose is it? I found a $1 a few weeks ago at a dog park near a fence bordering Fox Run Golf Course and decided to keep it. The park is privately owned but the wind is not. I was thinking about hypothetical situations. What if this were a winning lottery ticket that blew in on the wind? $100 bill rather than a $1 bill? A valid ticket to some sold out performance at the Sharon? The Sharon | The Villages Sharon L. Morse - Performing Arts Center - Tickets and Upcoming Performances

I have probably already spent this $1 as part of a tip to Paige at one of the Beef O'Bradys.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 05-31-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
As I sit on my lanai this Memorial Day in my P.J's, thinking of those who gave their lives so I could enjoy my life, I have been disheartened. I live on Fort Walton Golf course and rarely do I get a golf ball in my yard that was misdirected. However, a few days ago I did and decided to leave it there so if I wanted to practice putting I had a ball right there. It was misdirected on my putting green in my yard, which sits blow and about 20-25 feet from the course. As I sit here reading, I happened to look up to see a man walking from my putting green back onto the golf course.......he had the golf ball in his hand, approaching the ball washing machine. I was taken back as I never thought that someone would have the "balls" to come that far off the course and my property to take something that clearly wasn't theirs. Since I was sitting probably where he couldn't see me, apparently he thought it was OK to take that golf ball since nobody saw him. If I had been dressed I would have gotten up as asked him if it were his ball. Would have been fun to see him squirm and probably lie about it not being his ball. Even if it was his, he cannot go on private property to get it. Now I'm a very friendly golf course home owner and like to chat with golfers if they see me and want to chat, and generally I have no problem with a golfer getting a ball if it rolled down into the "gully" that separates our house and the course or even if it was on my property, but to come and take it from my putting green....well.....that's plain wrong. Happy Memorial Day and thank you to all veterans!!
That person was definitely a 'thief.'

Given that you live next to the tee box AND it was on your own putting green...I posit he has earned an even stronger term.

You are to be commended for not asking him in a loud voice what the heck he was doing, but anyone this brazen would not take the hint...and is most likely used to doing a lot of similar lowlife actions.

And the excuse of "I thought it was my ball" is the reason that the rules of golf require an identification mark on the ball you're playing...so this excuse can't be used.
Closed Thread

Tags
ball, golf, putting, property, green

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.