Is there any chance that there are jobs in the area that would provide benefits?

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2015, 12:32 PM
Question Is there any chance that there are jobs in the area that would provide benefits?

We would love to retire early and move to the villages. However, the only thing keeping us from doing so is medical coverage. We were not lucky enough to have jobs that provide healthcare until age 65.

Is there any chance that there are jobs in the area that would provide benefits? Doesn't need to pay a lot, decent pay and mainly the benefits?

Any type of industrial employment down there?

Any ideas?
Old 01-14-2015, 12:33 PM
Gold member

Sorry Amigo-- GOOD LUCK
Old 01-14-2015, 12:53 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieJo View Post
We would love to retire early and move to the villages. However, the only thing keeping us from doing so is medical coverage. We were not lucky enough to have jobs that provide healthcare until age 65.

Is there any chance that there are jobs in the area that would provide benefits? Doesn't need to pay a lot, decent pay and mainly the benefits?

Any type of industrial employment down there?

Any ideas?
Would you not be able to find an affordable policy under the Affordable Care Act until you are age 65?

Old 01-14-2015, 12:54 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Neither decent wages nor benefits. Most jobs here are part-time just so benefits don't have to be provided. Salaries are well below the norm here. Sorry!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-14-2015, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

The Affordable care act is the main reason there are fewer to no jobs available with benefits anymore.

The real test of the so called affordability will come in 2016. That is when all who have "affordable" policies will begin to see increasingpremiums.
This is a whole subject for another thread.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
Would you not be able to find an affordable policy under the Affordable Care Act until you are age 65?
I've thought of this and In Theory it would probably be a great alternative. Unfortunately, I just don't know enough about it.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValerieJo View Post
I've thought of this and In Theory it would probably be a great alternative. Unfortunately, I just don't know enough about it.
https://www.healthcare.gov

or in foreign languages:
https://www.healthcare.gov/language-resource/

Good luck.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You're in luck! You can secure health insurance under the Affordable Care Act, popularly referred to as Obamacare. For a reasonable premium of only a few hundred dollars per month, you can purchase a plan with a deductible as little as $6,000 per year for a family.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:55 PM

Sorry to disagree but we were forced to go with Obamacare this year and the cost is far above a few hundred dollars per month. The costs are steep and you can't afford to work, even part time because it will affect your subsidy
Old 01-14-2015, 05:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Here is what I would tell my children if they asked me this question. Wait and save. Jobs aren't high paying here.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjkoz View Post
Sorry to disagree but we were forced to go with Obamacare this year and the cost is far above a few hundred dollars per month. The costs are steep and you can't afford to work, even part time because it will affect your subsidy
Did you buy your deductible down?
Old 01-14-2015, 05:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edjkoz View Post
I agree. Way more than it was before ACA.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:52 PM

I'm paying just over $1000 a month for a policy that covers myself and my wife, and each of us has a $6250 deductible. Obamacare is not a type of policy, it is a set of rules that must be followed whether insurance is purchased through and exchange (federal or state) or not. I'm not sure how much those rules are affecting my premium, but common sense tells me that covering more people and requiring more types of coverage with each policy, whether needed or not, isn't helping the cost.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlaw View Post
You're in luck! You can secure health insurance under the Affordable Care Act, popularly referred to as Obamacare. For a reasonable premium of only a few hundred dollars per month, you can purchase a plan with a deductible as little as $6,000 per year for a family.
AND... the coverage will be much better than the "cheaper" alternatives that were available before AFA. Which will be very important to you as you age.

The lack of full-time jobs with decent pay and benefits in the south well predates the Afordable Care Act. The south has historically been a lower-paying area of the country, comparing job to job. I guess it used to be cheaper to live in the south, making up for the difference, but it doesn't seem to be so much the case lately. Much luck to you in your search.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:01 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Please don't hijack this thread to a discussion of the ACA.

Perhaps folks with positive ACA interaction can PM ValeriJo rather than discuss here; or suggest here that she contact you by PM?

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.