Is There A "Class System" By Home Price?

Closed Thread
Old 08-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Default Is There A "Class System" By Home Price?

My wife and I are about 3 years away from retiring, but starting to look at options. We have really enjoyed this site and found it very informative. TV sounds great in a lot of ways, but one question we have is whether you are looked down on if you buy a less expensive home there (I'm thinking $150K - $225K). We own our own business in a very small town in the midwest (MO), and live in a 110 year old home that is very charming and comfortable, but being in a small town will not have great resale value. We will not be able to sell and have a tremendous profit to put back into a home in TV. Very honestly, also, we want to downsize and enjoy the amenities and not spend time in yard work and cleaning. But just wonder if we will be considered "lower class" because of less expensive home.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:14 AM
Platinum member
Default Re: Is There A "Class System" By Home Price?

Class system? I would say just the opposite. The Villages, their clubs, pools etc is a great equalizer. We certainly don't see a class system here. Barb
Tampa, FL
Old 08-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Send a message via AIM to rballruss Send a message via Yahoo to rballruss

I haven't noticed any "classism" here, and I have owned my home for 5 years. One thing that gets to me though, is when people ask, "Do you have a house or a Villa?" A house or a Villa? I tell them I live in a "house" which happens to be a Courtyard VILLA! Not sure why they are making that distinction, especially when, many times, ai 1800 sg ft with a pool, my Villa is larger than their "house." Am I being a bit sensitive? :dontknow:
Old 08-12-2007, 12:22 PM
Platinum member

We have a courtyard villa too. Love it and wouldn't ever trade for a "house". Barb
Tampa, FL
Old 08-12-2007, 12:41 PM

class system disappears when we're all out enjoying equal access to amenties etc. but "house" owners do sseem to think villa residents are somehow different.
folks also stereotype villagers by which area you live in. historic, north or south of 466.
to me we're all the same and i socialize based on shared interests and activities not house size or price.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Send a message via AIM to rballruss Send a message via Yahoo to rballruss

Way to go Osh!!!!!!! :bigthumbsup:
Old 08-12-2007, 01:20 PM

oshunluva - thanks for the info. We might just take you up on that when we get down there. Hope you have a great move.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Gold member

I haven't ever seen any evidence of classism. I think reason some folks ask about Villa or House, is because they believe that a larger percentage of Villa residents are not year round residents and I believe there are more Villa renters than there are House Renters.

When we moved here in 1997 there were a variety of prices and home options from patio villas to courtyard and designer villas and ranch homes and designer homes and premier homes. Don't know if these categories still exist, but even if they do, they have nothing to do with a class structure. The only real dominant class I can see in TV is ade up of mostly seniors living in God's Waiting Room. The majority of people I've met in last 10 years couldn't care what your economic status is. They just are happy to be sharing the lifestyle.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:06 PM
Veteran member

No classes here. I like to think that we're all in the same boat. 'Cause we are.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 08-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Veteran member

The homes are built in groups of same type home. Premiers are all together in certain villages; designers are grouped together in each village; ranch homes are grouped togethe in each village; each village has a separate section for the patio villas and one for the courtyard villas.

I have heard some folks who live in ranch or designer homes commenting that the villa people are the "poorer" groups. Interesting comment because you can buy a courtyard villa for about $250k or more based on size and location.

We have a courtyard villa and love it because we have a corner lot and a full fenced yard. We live just off 466 and were not interested in the manufactured homes over in the historic section just off of 441/27.

Premiers can cost over $1million from about $500k; designers can go from $250k to $750k; patio villas run about $170k and courtyard villas run about $200k but all depends on size of home, size of lot and if pre-owned, what has been added to the home.

Best of luck to everyone who is interested in the Villages. It is a great place to live.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:54 PM

One of the things I have told my friends: It does not matter the value/cost of your home you get the same services as everyone else. I have met people who live in the largest of homes down to the smallest and it did not matter. What mattered was that we all were considerate of each other and had a good time together. Their golf ball may go farther, but so what mine might be straigher. It does not matter how much the ball cost. In the end we had a beer and a good laugh. :beer2:
Old 08-12-2007, 08:13 PM

rdkent - looks like you are getting your answer on these posts - no 'class system' in TV! I'm going thru similar 'exploratory' phases now and it looks like TV will be my destination end of 2008/ early 2009... when I visited a friend down in Sunset Pointe last April, I met about 30 different folks from all different types of backgrounds and 'houses'... they all had different personalities, house sizes, golf handicaps, backgrounds, etc.. but all had one thing in common - they all loved TV!!!! They also all asked me one question - 'when are you moving down?'....
Old 08-12-2007, 10:24 PM
Sage

I've seen no evidence of a class system. We're just a group of happy, friendly people that are all getting older and enjoying life!
Old 08-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Sage

We bought a Courtyard Villa cuz our dogs asked us to, and they don't care if other dogs have bigger houses.

I think everyone buys whatever suits their needs .. all the people on posts and in the chat room are warm and friendly,
I can't imagine there is a class sytem!
Old 08-13-2007, 03:47 AM

Hey Fran what about us "ranch homes"...LOL. They run $190,000 up. There IS a class system but they folks that think they have more class than anyone else are VERY lonely. I love it here. No one knows (or really cares) who or what you did at one time unless it its interesting. Come one down.....55+ year olds in swim suits are a great equalizer
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.