Windows in Garage Doors

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2011, 08:18 AM
Default Windows in Garage Doors

Has anyone had the top row of panels in your garage door replaced with window panels? I would like to have this done and am looking for a recommendation for someone to do it and the approximate cost.
Thanks
Old 06-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Veteran member

Your first step would be to call the Architectural Board - look in the front section of your Villages phone book - and find out if it is permitted. You would need their okay to do it since that is a modification to the outside of your home.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:58 AM

I do the garage door windows and they are $40.00 each window. I have an ad in the daily sun . I have been doing this for 6 years in the villages. You do not need to go to the review board
Old 06-13-2011, 12:04 PM
Veteran member

To be sure, I would still ask the Architectural Board if their approval is necessary. DrDodge may be 100% right - but ask to be 100% certain.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,361 Times in 2,394 Posts

Potential new TOTV advertiser!
Old 06-13-2011, 02:10 PM

Tbugs,
Thanks for your advice. I don't think it will be a problem as these doors are all over The Villages. Some are installed on the homes built by The Villages, so I can't see it needing to be approved as you are not really changing the building. On our street which is new there are about 5 originally built that way by The Villages. We installed gutters when we were there in the spring, again without approval as some have them and some don't. The Villages only include them on certain house where water pouring off the front of the house is a problem for the door.

Drdodge,
Would you mind PM me with your contact details as we plan on having it done when we return in the fall.
Thanks.
Old 06-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

I would do some checking before I made any sort of modification to the garage doors. When we had our walk through, we discussed hurricane resistance of our home, which is block and stucco. We were told that the point of failure in our home was the garage door. He said the doors are tested to withstand XX MPH wind. He stated that once the garage door fails, the wind will pop the roof off your home. Not sure if this is true, it's just what we were told by the builder. He had no reason to tell us otherwise... You might also check with your insurance company. For instance, my home owners insurance is less expensive simply because we have a hip roof design. My agent stated that gable roof homes are more expensive, since a gable roof can function as a wing, in high wind, which means it gets lift and can take your roof off.

I would be careful modifying the garage doors in this part of the country...
Old 06-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Veteran member

I called the manufacturer of our door to see if the panel could be retrofitted to accept windows or would it be better (and cheaper) to have the entire panel replaced. The rep advised doing the retrofit over replacing the panel and said that the windows and frames could be ordered from the company who installed the doors.
When he asked where we were located, he made a point of telling me that the window panes had to be hurricane rated. (as I remember, type 5)
Old 06-13-2011, 08:55 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbugs View Post
To be sure, I would still ask the Architectural Board if their approval is necessary. DrDodge may be 100% right - but ask to be 100% certain.
DUDE>>>> YOU SOUND LIKE A >>>>.. pretty intelligent person. My motto has also been " Trust----but verify ". Always worked running a business...Oughta work running your home.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.