Are there NOT enough golf courses here?

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Just wait until high season plus another 24,000 homes and only one more championship course. There may be more, but current plans only show one more championship course.
If you build it, they will come. there will be AT LEAST 2 more Championship courses plus the one currently in the planing stages.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Just wait until high season plus another 24,000 homes and only one more championship course. There may be more, but current plans only show one more championship course.
There are other things happening too, although I wouldn't rule out another 18 hole course. The other things that are happening when new fresh healthy folks move in are that some golfers are heading out to play with St. Peter and others are having a bit of trouble getting around and playing golf as often as they age.

I am so sorry to be tiresome, but I do think that those who plan have factored in and considered all aspects of the larger population. I will wait and see and hope to be vindicated in my belief in their good planning.

During high season, especially the first two weeks in January with the arrival of cabin fevered, half frozen Northerners who want to get OUT in the sun and play golf, then some people may be forced to ask for a broader window, and be prepared to drive farther to play, especially with groups. But the computer makes it as fair as it can considering how many times you played last week against those who ask.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO there are more than enough golf courses here's. i think at last count around 650 holes. It's the big sale free golf! Which is not really free. The villages have several recreational activities equal to golf, it not just about golf. the guy was hitting golf ball into retention pond probably with the floating golf balls he got from the range. He probably didn't want spend few bucks at the driving range.
What did you base your opinion other than 650 holes? You must certainly be aware that the number of golfers and number of starting times and number of daylight hours are also factors. Do you have any information on those numbers?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:57 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcar View Post
If you build it, they will come. there will be AT LEAST 2 more Championship courses plus the one currently in the planing stages.
Where did you see plans for more than one championship course? I have reviewed every planning document available and could find only one. Please provide the information as to where that is shown. I certainly hope you are correct, but I was not able to find that.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:13 PM

I have done the requests for our group for the last 5-6 years. Seems to me that with all things being equal ( points , window , etc ) that it has gotten a lot more difficult getting a t time this year. Too many golfers ? Not enough courses ? Perhaps a combo of both ?
Old 11-13-2017, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,879 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
What did you base your opinion other than 650 holes? You must certainly be aware that the number of golfers and number of starting times and number of daylight hours are also factors. Do you have any information on those numbers?

I stand corrected only 630 from the 2017 new comers guide. I'm guessing couple course was complete in January 2017.

Sorry use poor golfer's can't play 36 holes day. I use to get free court time at tennis club. Same problem you had to call to reserve the courts time. There were other playing the game also. So, I couldn't play every evening. I didn't whine about it.
Old 11-13-2017, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Just now 4:15PM and looked at open tee times for Thursday. From 8 - 3 there were 27 open tee times. on the Executive courses. There were more before and after this window.
If you want to play you can play........................
Old 11-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

I'm sure there are plenty of tee times. Some people only want certain courses and certain windows of time. I'll be back in the bubble playing tomorrow. Yeah!
Old 11-13-2017, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I stand corrected only 630 from the 2017 new comers guide. I'm guessing couple course was complete in January 2017.

Sorry use poor golfer's can't play 36 holes day. I use to get free court time at tennis club. Same problem you had to call to reserve the courts time. There were other playing the game also. So, I couldn't play every evening. I didn't whine about it.
No problem.... it's 648 I believe.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,349 Times in 2,389 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonH57 View Post
I'm sure there are plenty of tee times. Some people only want certain courses and certain windows of time. I'll be back in the bubble playing tomorrow. Yeah!
I agree. Then they should not come on here and whine.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

So, OP, are you complaining about the elderly man hitting golf balls into the pond or are you complaining about too many golf courses here? He's on the back nine of life, let him enjoy time while he can. And I speak for all avid golfers here, there is never enough golf courses.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:49 PM
Sage

My thought is why would someone clutter up the lake with golf balls? Like all the sytrofoam foam cups and plastic bottles floating in the Baltimore Inner Harbor that someone else has to clean up.
Old 11-14-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Just now 4:15PM and looked at open tee times for Thursday. From 8 - 3 there were 27 open tee times. on the Executive courses. There were more before and after this window.
If you want to play you can play........................
Yes, but where were they located? If you live up near Feeny you're not going to go all the way down to Lopez to play. And were they for foursomes, or just openings for singles? The reality is, the Villages is now so large and driving distances so great, you have to factor that in when making a tee time. And to DonH57 who said something about Villagers wanting certain windows of time, of course we do! We all have very busy, active lives, with dentist and doctor appointments, clubs we belong to, and so on. Everyone I know puts in a window. I personally think if you put in a window of 3-4 hours for a foursome on an executive course, and list about dozen possible courses you would play at, and can't get a tee time, then there is a problem. And that scenario does happen during the high season.

Last edited by 8notes; 11-14-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:27 AM
Sage

Seems to me many have misinterpreted the OP’s intentions with this thread. I think the concern was practicing golf in an inappropriate place.

However, in keeping with the new direction of the thread, the situation is not as dire as portrayed. The system works as it should. The fewer points you accumulate each week, the better your chance of snagging a tee time at your desired course(s) and your desired time. And vice versa. It is designed to “spread the wealth” and not have people crowded out by those who play more frequently. Yes, in the high season, you have to use a larger window of time (like six hours) and a larger number of courses in your request. Nowhere is anyone guaranteed they can play every day where they want to. And adding a guest to a request will also diminish the chance of getting a time, since the courses are there for residents, first and foremost.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:11 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8notes View Post
Yes, but where were they located? If you live up near Feeny you're not going to go all the way down to Lopez to play. And were they for foursomes, or just openings for singles? The reality is, the Villages is now so large and driving distances so great, you have to factor that in when making a tee time. And to DonH57 who said something about Villagers wanting certain windows of time, of course we do! We all have very busy, active lives, with dentist and doctor appointments, clubs we belong to, and so on. Everyone I know puts in a window. I personally think if you put in a window of 3-4 hours for a foursome on an executive course, and list about dozen possible courses you would play at, and can't get a tee time, then there is a problem. And that scenario does happen during the high season.
Yes, I agree some do have busy lifestyles, some so much you would think they were still driving the clock for a paycheck. As for me I don't rush for nobody or anything anymore. I'm done with that crap. Everyone has their needs and wants.
Closed Thread

Tags
lake, golf, common, sense, fishing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.