Are there NOT enough golf courses here?

Closed Thread
Old 11-14-2017, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I stand corrected only 630 from the 2017 new comers guide. I'm guessing couple course was complete in January 2017.

Sorry use poor golfer's can't play 36 holes day. I use to get free court time at tennis club. Same problem you had to call to reserve the courts time. There were other playing the game also. So, I couldn't play every evening. I didn't whine about it.
It'snot a question of whining, the question was posed, "Are there not enough golf courses?". Your response was to state the number of holes. We are told that we can play "Free Golf" every day for the rest of our lives. The question of "Free Golf" notwithstanding, (we all know it's not actually free) are there enough golf courses to meet the demand so that the developer's promise can be met?

Questions need to be asked such as: What is the specific guarantee of this free golf? Is it nine holes a day, eighteen holes per day, unlimited golf 365 days a year? How many golfers are there in The Villages? How many want to play each Day? How many courses are there? How many starting times are there? How many hours of daylight do we have? All of these questions need to be answered in order to determine how many golf courses are necessary?

As far as supply and demand, it's a simple math problem once the terms of the contract are specified.

I usually sign up as a single and have never gotten denied access to an executive course. I have been part of a foursome that has been denied so I went and signed as a single and got on somewhere. As far as these people that run huge groups, they are not being denied golf. In fact, if I were running things, no one would be allowed to sign up with more than a foursome. But that's me. I'm not a big fan of groups of golfers or leagues. But that's another whole subject.

As far as I'm concerned, I get to play my "free" golf and can play at least nine holes every day and eighteen most of the days. I may not be able the play the exact course that I want or the exact time that I want or with the people I'd prefer to play with. But as far as I'm concerned, the developer has fulfilled its side of the contract.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8notes View Post
Yes, but where were they located? If you live up near Feeny you're not going to go all the way down to Lopez to play. And were they for foursomes, or just openings for singles? The reality is, the Villages is now so large and driving distances so great, you have to factor that in when making a tee time. And to DonH57 who said something about Villagers wanting certain windows of time, of course we do! We all have very busy, active lives, with dentist and doctor appointments, clubs we belong to, and so on. Everyone I know puts in a window. I personally think if you put in a window of 3-4 hours for a foursome on an executive course, and list about dozen possible courses you would play at, and can't get a tee time, then there is a problem. And that scenario does happen during the high season.
They were all foursomes.
Size of the villages.......just more whining. What, you want 10 executive courses within 10 minutes of your house?
You say there is a problem....your solution is?
Old 11-15-2017, 05:48 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Here we go again that ubiquitous conundrum called
"expectations". The Developer DID PROMISE YOU A ROSE GARDEN. Did the Developer deliver? The developer sold "exclusivity" and called it "lifestyle" Did the Developer deliver?

Are some residents too demanding?
Are some residents too easily satisfied?
Are some residents...................................
Old 11-15-2017, 06:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Beginning at this time of the year and ending the end of March, all over Florida the crowding and the waiting and the complaining begins. Our population swells as a State and we are forced to see that our home is in a vacation destination. People in West Palm and Jacksonville and over in the panhandle do not have the same choices in tee times that they had before and they are bummed.

Poor them. They don't have a developer to kick.
Old 11-15-2017, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Beginning at this time of the year and ending the end of March, all over Florida the crowding and the waiting and the complaining begins. Our population swells as a State and we are forced to see that our home is in a vacation destination. People in West Palm and Jacksonville and over in the panhandle do not have the same choices in tee times that they had before and they are bummed.

Poor them. They don't have a developer to kick.
It is not peak season on the panhandle. Their high season is summer.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
It'snot a question of whining, the question was posed, "Are there not enough golf courses?". Your response was to state the number of holes. We are told that we can play "Free Golf" every day for the rest of our lives. The question of "Free Golf" notwithstanding, (we all know it's not actually free) are there enough golf courses to meet the demand so that the developer's promise can be met?

Questions need to be asked such as: What is the specific guarantee of this free golf? Is it nine holes a day, eighteen holes per day, unlimited golf 365 days a year? How many golfers are there in The Villages? How many want to play each Day? How many courses are there? How many starting times are there? How many hours of daylight do we have? All of these questions need to be answered in order to determine how many golf courses are necessary?

As far as supply and demand, it's a simple math problem once the terms of the contract are specified.

I usually sign up as a single and have never gotten denied access to an executive course. I have been part of a foursome that has been denied so I went and signed as a single and got on somewhere. As far as these people that run huge groups, they are not being denied golf. In fact, if I were running things, no one would be allowed to sign up with more than a foursome. But that's me. I'm not a big fan of groups of golfers or leagues. But that's another whole subject.

As far as I'm concerned, I get to play my "free" golf and can play at least nine holes every day and eighteen most of the days. I may not be able the play the exact course that I want or the exact time that I want or with the people I'd prefer to play with. But as far as I'm concerned, the developer has fulfilled its side of the contract.
mr. Bogie, we mostly agree, the the OP IMO was whining about somebody hitting golf ball not on the course. IMO golf is not free, big chunk of my amenities pays for the upkeep. I could whine about not enough track and field when I see runners running down the roads and paths. But, IMO none of my business just like the guy hitting the balls not on my property. But, some would say it is our property cause the bonds paid for it?????

IMO at this time there are enough golf courses. Maybe it's challenging to get tee time in the high season, but what's not challenge in the high season? But, can we agree when enough is enough? Now that apartments may be coming in few years? I also think in 10 years brownwood will be center of th villages as long as boomers keep coming? I also think the free golf is sales gimmick to suck us in and it works very well.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
mr. Bogie, we mostly agree, the the OP IMO was whining about somebody hitting golf ball not on the course. IMO golf is not free, big chunk of my amenities pays for the upkeep. I could whine about not enough track and field when I see runners running down the roads and paths. But, IMO none of my business just like the guy hitting the balls not on my property. But, some would say it is our property cause the bonds paid for it?????

IMO at this time there are enough golf courses. Maybe it's challenging to get tee time in the high season, but what's not challenge in the high season? But, can we agree when enough is enough? Now that apartments may be coming in few years? I also think in 10 years brownwood will be center of th villages as long as boomers keep coming? I also think the free golf is sales gimmick to suck us in and it works very well.
NO one said there were apartments. NO ONE OFFICIAL said that at all. I am guessing they are buildings for Memory Care and Assisted Living. You know, the HOME we all dread going to?
Old 11-15-2017, 09:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8notes View Post
Yes, but where were they located? If you live up near Feeny you're not going to go all the way down to Lopez to play. And were they for foursomes, or just openings for singles? The reality is, the Villages is now so large and driving distances so great, you have to factor that in when making a tee time. And to DonH57 who said something about Villagers wanting certain windows of time, of course we do! We all have very busy, active lives, with dentist and doctor appointments, clubs we belong to, and so on. Everyone I know puts in a window. I personally think if you put in a window of 3-4 hours for a foursome on an executive course, and list about dozen possible courses you would play at, and can't get a tee time, then there is a problem. And that scenario does happen during the high season.
The guarantee of free golf does not state which courses you can play or when you can play or who you play with. I will often travel to the other end of The Villages to play a course. The fact that you want to play at a specific time with specific people on a limited list of courses is your problem. The Villages is still offering you the opportunity to play golf pretty much every day.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:08 AM
Sage

Quote:

I didn't come here for the free golf. Due to some injuries and physical restrictions, I had given up on playing golf at that time. If I'm not mistaken, less than half of the residents play golf so I don't think that everyone is getting "sucked in".

I'm very happy with the lifestyle here. I really wouldn't want to live anywhere else whether I played golf or not.

I could care less if The Villages keeps growing. It's not really going to have huge impact on current residents as long as more rec centers, shops and golf courses are built, and they will be. People in Fenny are not going to be dining Spanish Springs are restaurant very often. And I don't go to Brownwood very often.

The developer has always built infrastructure at a rate matching the home building.

I haven't heard that apartments are coming, but so what? Maybe I'll take one of those apartments when I get older and don't want to maintain a house.

I don't think that it's too crowded here. It does get a bit busy in the winter, but it's only crowded to people who have never lived in a big city, or even a small city. Go visit some cities of 150,000 people and you'll understand crowded. Go visit some cities of a million or more and you'll really understand crowded and traffic.

We have a great life here. My only wish is that we were closer to a good beach and a major highway. A half hour to get to the turnpike is a pain and having to drive two hours to go to the beach is inconvenient. I would have loved it if The Villages was built in Sarasota or Clearwater. But then, of course, homes would be twice as expensive.
Also, the golf courses, for the most part, should be in better condition. I'll never understand how The Villages does everything so well except golf. The common areas are well maintained, Flowers and mulching are beautifully done. The squares, rec centers, pools and tennis courts are superb. But the golf courses are poorly designed, poorly maintained and poorly managed. I'm probably a bit more critical than most people when it comes to golf courses as I spent 40 years of my life working at and managing golf courses so I think that most people are very happy with what they get.

But I have very few complaints about what has been offered and what has been delivered. If my only complaint in life is that the golf courses should be in better condition, I have a pretty great life.

Closed Thread

Tags
lake, golf, common, sense, fishing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.