Thermostat setting

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2017, 10:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditka41 View Post
I know from experience that some potential renters can be a real "PIA" with tons of nit-picky questions and requests before signing the normal rental contract. If you are one of those, perhaps the owner wants you to find another place. Some renters seem to see the process as a challenge of wits for whatever reason. If that is not the case, then the owner is seemingly going overboard with the details and you might be happier with a different rental anyway. There are lots of homes to choose from and most are not that restrictive, (and lots of potential renters also). On one occasion, after dealing with too many frivolous questions, it finally came out that the potential renter did not believe that "visitors" should cost extra and they were simply trying to have two couples live there for the duration in order to split the cost. I was happy to not rent to them after knowing their firm motive. If they had been honest about it up front, we could have saved a lot of time-consuming correspondence with a simple price adjustment. There may be two sides to this post.
Well, actually you are lucky IMO and experience. Usually, they just lie to me about the number of people. It is sad, really. The neighbors tell me anyways. Probability is about 75% that they will want to re-rent. Edit to add: Ditka is probably local, but you see even distant owners can find out if the home is loaded with extra guests.

Now, let me ask you this readers: would you want to re-rent to someone under who did this to you?

Last edited by Toymeister; 12-04-2017 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:46 AM
Veteran member

As new landlords we too, are wondering what to do about this. In the summer we had a few renters that liked to keep the inside temperature in the mid 60s. I had the property manager check to ensure the air conditioner was working correctly, and they weren’t just trying to get the house down to a livable temperature. No, they both confirmed they like it in the 60’s. I’m thinking of adding to my summer rentals contracts a small surcharge if they want to keep the house below 70F to cover the electric bill. Summer rents aren’t high enough to cover huge electric bills, and at some point it’s cheaper to keep the house empty. On the other hand, I don’t want to raise the rate to always cover the worst possible utility bill.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:48 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post
As new landlords we too, are wondering what to do about this. In the summer we had a few renters that liked to keep the inside temperature in the mid 60s. I had the property manager check to ensure the air conditioner was working correctly, and they weren’t just trying to get the house down to a livable temperature. No, they both confirmed they like it in the 60’s. I’m thinking of adding to my summer rentals contracts a small surcharge if they want to keep the house below 70F to cover the electric bill. Summer rents aren’t high enough to cover huge electric bills, and at some point it’s cheaper to keep the house empty. On the other hand, I don’t want to raise the rate to always cover the worst possible utility bill.
The easiest way is simply to add a clause that if the electric bill is over X amount, the renter will pay the extra. Simply figure what is the average for your house on an annual basis (pretending it is occupied year round) and go with that, usually around $125. That way, renters see they aren’t being gouged and you’re not stuck with an exorbitant charge. Not a bad idea to do for water since some renters like five showers a day during the summer.

What I do for my homeowners who don’t have a utilities clause is find an excuse to visit the renters a few days after they’ve moved in. If I notice the ac or heat is at an unreasonable rate, I advise them that they will probably have to pay the overage and have the homeowners send a confirming email. Not exactly binding but most renters agree to it.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-04-2017, 11:54 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Well, actually you are lucky IMO and experience. Usually, they just lie to me about the number of people. It is sad, really. The neighbors tell me anyways. Probability is about 75% that they will want to re-rent. Edit to add: Ditka is probably local, but you see even distant owners can find out if the home is loaded with extra guests.

Now, let me ask you this readers: would you want to re-rent to someone under who did this to you?
A good property manager or housewatcher checks an occupied rental at least once a month (a perimeter check works) to insure renters are in compliance. If two couples, then the homeowner can contact the renters and give them a choice — one half month monthly rental for the second couple or get out. If nothing else, you keep all deposits in a case like this.

As to renting to people like this again, no way. A cheat is a cheat is a cheat.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Sage

Do not rent from a person who is this cheap-IMHO, they will do everything possible to keep every cent of your security deposit-cleaning, etc.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retirlib View Post
I have been told that I am to keep the thermostat set at 79 degrees in my upcoming 3 month rental. Is this reasonable? Personally, I think it is not.
Maybe they were burned before by a previous tenant and asked for 79 degrees figuring you would put it on 75 degrees. Not a great way to handle a customer but a great way to lose one for next year. If it was me and there was no deposit involved, adios. To many great landlords and rentals here to stress something like this.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
I have been told that I am to keep the thermostat set at 79 degrees in my upcoming 3 month rental. Is this reasonable? Personally, I think it is not.
What am I missing on this one?

I have read this several times since it was posted yesterday. Am I wrong in thinking this is a PROBABLY a Jan. Feb. & March rental. It is the upcoming 3 months and the high season.

Who is going to have their thermostat set at 79 degrees? How would the owner save anything with the heat set at 79?

Intellicast - The Villages Historic Weather Averages in Florida (32163)
Old 12-04-2017, 05:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
What am I missing on this one?

I have read this several times since it was posted yesterday. Am I wrong in thinking this is a PROBABLY a Jan. Feb. & March rental. It is the upcoming 3 months and the high season.

Who is going to have their thermostat set at 79 degrees? How would the owner save anything with the heat set at 79?

Intellicast - The Villages Historic Weather Averages in Florida (32163)

The landlord means 79 cooling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2017, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiotte View Post
The landlord means 79 cooling.

Read the link....

Average high temp. Jan.68 - Feb.71 - March 76

Open a window???
Old 12-04-2017, 05:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Read the link....

Average high temp. Jan.68 - Feb.71 - March 76

Open a window???

The landlord is confused ? Lol

Old 12-08-2017, 09:34 AM

You’re right. There could be two sides to this story. I can say, though, that we have been coming to The Villages for several years. Our last rental was being sold so I looked for a new place. If I were an owner, I would want to rent to someone just like us. We never complain about anything. The House was always spotless. This list of rules and regulations is certainly putting a damper on our upcoming visit. Certainly not a warm welcome. I’m hoping that it will not be as bad as it seems.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
You’re right. There could be two sides to this story. I can say, though, that we have been coming to The Villages for several years. Our last rental was being sold so I looked for a new place. If I were an owner, I would want to rent to someone just like us. We never complain about anything. The House was always spotless. This list of rules and regulations is certainly putting a damper on our upcoming visit. Certainly not a warm welcome. I’m hoping that it will not be as bad as it seems.
It is an isolated incident! Why extrapolate it to a general condition when it is not.

Relax the other 99% of rentals will be just fine....as per usual!!
Old 12-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member

...The landlord means 79 cooling.

I can't remember the last time I had cooling on in the winter.

But then I can't remember what I had for breakfast, either
Old 12-08-2017, 11:21 AM
Default High Electric Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
The easiest way is simply to add a clause that if the electric bill is over X amount, the renter will pay the extra. Simply figure what is the average for your house on an annual basis (pretending it is occupied year round) and go with that, usually around $125. That way, renters see they aren’t being gouged and you’re not stuck with an exorbitant charge. Not a bad idea to do for water since some renters like five showers a day during the summer.

What I do for my homeowners who don’t have a utilities clause is find an excuse to visit the renters a few days after they’ve moved in. If I notice the ac or heat is at an unreasonable rate, I advise them that they will probably have to pay the overage and have the homeowners send a confirming email. Not exactly binding but most renters agree to it.
I have a question about putting a clause in the contract limiting what the landlord will pay for towards the electric...if the electric is limited to say $125, and the electric bill doesn't come until almost a month after the tenant has vacated, and by law, you have to return the Security Deposit within 2 weeks...how can you find out how much overage to charge the tenant and still return the Security Deposit in time? That would also be true with if you limited the amount of water used.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
We use 78 as the high setting, and find this comfortable with the fans on, since this is winter time, we use 70-72 as the low setting, with no fans.
Yup, that what we do too! We are perfectly comfortable with those temps.
Closed Thread

Tags
thermostat, rental, month, upcoming, personally

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.