They read his book, Leisureville

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2017, 07:49 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton
Default They read his book, Leisureville

I visited the Pinellas Plaza Villages Public Library the other day to find the book Leisureville by Andrew Blechman on display. As I had never read the book but only excerpts, I decided to check it out. It’s an interesting read.

The book covers the history of age restricted/ adult communities starting with Youngtown, then Del Webb Sun City and of course The Villages. Most of the book covers visits by Blechman to The Villages and his take on life here. As he was under the age of forty and with his view that age restricted communities are bad for society, I felt that he did a fair job of bringing to light different opinions on the subject.

Many of the following statements found on the Leesburg agenda memorandum of December 18, 2017 seem to address issues raised in this book.

The link is found here and starts around page 80
https://www.leesburgflorida.gov/Modu...cumentid=11256

“Gary Lester, on behalf of The Villages, stated that much of how The Villages was developed has to do with the people of Leesburg. Many people from Leesburg work in The Villages and The Villages are customers in the City of Leesburg. The big difference now is the direct impact of the expanded tax base.

For example, The Villages will be paying school taxes, but put no children in the schools.
They are also going to be bringing a transportation system and a use of multi-mobile trails which will lessen the impact on City and County roads, as well as being good for the environment. Mr. Lester pointed out that they are also very proud of what they are doing with the water conservation lines.
The conservation program and the use of dual water lines to every home, and the extensive use of reuse of storm water and retention ponds, has made The Villages what the state of Florida lifts up as the gold standard for conserving water and preserving our aquifer.

Mr. Lester also wanted to point out an intangible. For the first time, Leesburg will have villagers as citizens in the community and we will be blessed by it. There will be people involved in the churches, in charity, in the libraries. One example, is Sumter County schools. Wildwood Elementary School is one that has struggled for many years. It used to be a D school and has really has a tough time. Mr. Lester spoke with John Temple,
the principal of Wildwood Elementary School, and was told that the school is now a B school and that they are striving for an A. Mr. Temple told Mr. Lester that he gives a lot of credit to the teachers, parents, and to the kids themselves, but Mr. Temples also talked about the difference that the volunteers from The Villages have made in the Wildwood Elementary School.

Commissioner Lukich asked if there would be involvement in discrimination laws if they put age restriction on property. Attorney Morrison answered that there are specific Federal and State exemptions for over 55 communities, and The Villages have provided in the text amendments that they have to meet those standards.”

Both the book and this agreement between The Villages and Leesburg present interesting points for consideration.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I visited the Pinellas Plaza Villages Public Library the other day to find the book Leisureville by Andrew Blechman on display. As I had never read the book but only excerpts, I decided to check it out. It’s an interesting read.

The book covers the history of age restricted/ adult communities starting with Youngtown, then Del Webb Sun City and of course The Villages. Most of the book covers visits by Blechman to The Villages and his take on life here. As he was under the age of forty and with his view that age restricted communities are bad for society, I felt that he did a fair job of bringing to light different opinions on the subject.

Many of the following statements found on the Leesburg agenda memorandum of December 18, 2017 seem to address issues raised in this book.

The link is found here and starts around page 80
https://www.leesburgflorida.gov/Modu...cumentid=11256

“Gary Lester, on behalf of The Villages, stated that much of how The Villages was developed has to do with the people of Leesburg. Many people from Leesburg work in The Villages and The Villages are customers in the City of Leesburg. The big difference now is the direct impact of the expanded tax base.

For example, The Villages will be paying school taxes, but put no children in the schools.
They are also going to be bringing a transportation system and a use of multi-mobile trails which will lessen the impact on City and County roads, as well as being good for the environment. Mr. Lester pointed out that they are also very proud of what they are doing with the water conservation lines.
The conservation program and the use of dual water lines to every home, and the extensive use of reuse of storm water and retention ponds, has made The Villages what the state of Florida lifts up as the gold standard for conserving water and preserving our aquifer.

Mr. Lester also wanted to point out an intangible. For the first time, Leesburg will have villagers as citizens in the community and we will be blessed by it. There will be people involved in the churches, in charity, in the libraries. One example, is Sumter County schools. Wildwood Elementary School is one that has struggled for many years. It used to be a D school and has really has a tough time. Mr. Lester spoke with John Temple,
the principal of Wildwood Elementary School, and was told that the school is now a B school and that they are striving for an A. Mr. Temple told Mr. Lester that he gives a lot of credit to the teachers, parents, and to the kids themselves, but Mr. Temples also talked about the difference that the volunteers from The Villages have made in the Wildwood Elementary School.

Commissioner Lukich asked if there would be involvement in discrimination laws if they put age restriction on property. Attorney Morrison answered that there are specific Federal and State exemptions for over 55 communities, and The Villages have provided in the text amendments that they have to meet those standards.”

Both the book and this agreement between The Villages and Leesburg present interesting points for consideration.
This book was a huge topic of conversation when it came out. Not so much now. Seems very out-of-date now in some subject areas and misleading in others. He did throw a lot of sex in it so that it would sell better IMHO.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:27 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
This book was a huge topic of conversation when it came out. Not so much now. Seems very out-of-date now in some subject areas and misleading in others. He did throw a lot of sex in it so that it would sell better IMHO.
The continued growth of The Villages might have an impact on a new addition of the book. However, his being 10 years older might have a greater influence on his writings. I would like to have him revisit The Villages.

P.S. Is Mr. Midnight still alive?
Old 12-19-2017, 10:34 PM
Veteran member

I've heard that Mr. Midnight has finally seen his sunset.

Last edited by SFSkol; 12-20-2017 at 04:49 AM.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
The continued growth of The Villages might have an impact on a new addition of the book. However, his being 10 years older might have a greater influence on his writings. I would like to have him revisit The Villages.

P.S. Is Mr. Midnight still alive?
Mr. Midnight can only make it until 9 PM without falling asleep.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:10 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I met the husband and wife ( his neighbors who moved here) and with whom he stayed while gathering his subject material.
He did try to sensationalize and add intrigue to some of the book to pique people's curiosity.

His reference to the loss of a community of its senior citizens that ensure continuity had validity.

Early on TV was primarily a homogeneous demographic but as it grows that demographic is changing.

A friend of mine e-mailed me a U-Tube video entitled the Seven Strangest Cities In The World. or something to that effect The Villages was listed as number one city

Why this place even gets noticed is a puzzlement to me? Its just a place.
Old 12-20-2017, 06:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I met the husband and wife ( his neighbors who moved here) and with whom he stayed while gathering his subject material.
He did try to sensationalize and add intrigue to some of the book to pique people's curiosity.

His reference to the loss of a community of its senior citizens that ensure continuity had validity.

Early on TV was primarily a homogeneous demographic but as it grows that demographic is changing.

A friend of mine e-mailed me a U-Tube video entitled the Seven Strangest Cities In The World. or something to that effect The Villages was listed as number one city

Why this place even gets noticed is a puzzlement to me? Its just a place.
My three adult children haven’t visited The Villages yet but they are very curious about this place and probably will visit in the future at some point. I located that YouTube video referenced above. I don’t think I will send it to the “kids”.

7 STRANGEST Cities and Towns on Earth - YouTube
Old 12-20-2017, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
My three adult children haven’t visited The Villages yet but they are very curious about this place and probably will visit in the future at some point. I located that YouTube video referenced above. I don’t think I will send it to the “kids”.

Here is a nice one;

The Villages Lifestyle Preview - YouTube
Old 12-20-2017, 08:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

Thanks.
There couldn’t be a greater contrast between the two videos.
It’s amazing the bad press The Villages gets from a few bad apples. But that’s to be expected anywhere with a population upwards of 100,00O.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Thanks.
There couldn’t be a greater contrast between the two videos.
It’s amazing the bad press The Villages gets from a few bad apples. But that’s to be expected anywhere with a population upwards of 100,00O.
There are many in competition with The Villages and there are many with agendas that are not furthered by the continued success of The Villages. There are those fired by The Villages and there are those who cannot find a way to live here although they want to....and there are those who are just negative and enjoy stirring the pot. Most I feel have always been the way they are and will never be happy. I will post the link again to what is unabashedly a sales promotion but a good one. Some will find fault. Some always find fault.

The Villages Lifestyle Preview - YouTube
Old 12-20-2017, 08:54 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:

Pretty much fake news as far as TV is concerned. Population, gated community, top growth for only two years, average age and more - wrong!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 12-20-2017, 09:16 AM

I'm actually glad for the fake news because it raises the bar and keeps out the sheeple
Old 12-20-2017, 09:22 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

- - - - -

Last edited by Boomer; 12-21-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:

What an absurd report. Almost none of it was true. It's like they simply read choice passages from Blechman's book.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:

Yes I agree and was not happy, and I was perplexed as to why they included traveling by golf cart as strange.er Indeed the other six places shown were strange
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, book, school, leesburg, lester

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.