They are still on their way down!

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2020, 06:45 AM
Veteran member

When we were shopping for a home in 2018 it was suggested to use an MLS realtor and a Village realtor. We never did use MLS and used VLS. We found exactly what we wanted at the price we wanted. We worked with Leigh Ebersole and she was great!
Old 08-02-2020, 06:52 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Real Estate sales in the rural part of VA along the Chesapeake Bay are the best ever.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:59 AM

I highly recommend Judy Dressendorfer! She is a TV rep and will show you what you want. Not pushy, very professional and knows the ins and outs of the villages.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:07 AM

These comments are if you're are buying. What if we are selling? We have purchased our second home in The Villages and presently have listed it FSBO. On Silverlake Golf course and water. Had a few calls first week, only realtors this week. Go with villages at 6% or MLS at lower rate? Do not have to be in hurry to sell. Help please. Thanks in advance
Old 08-02-2020, 07:14 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

I believe, but have only hearsay, that TV people push the new houses, of which there are many now, as they have been building during the pandemic. This is also where they make the most money, so that make sense. I have also heard that their people get paid more for selling new versus resale. I have had no luck with TV In the selling aspect and did buy through them, however, their realtor was just standing in the right place. My husband did all the footwork. I believe you are foolish to not use an inside and an outside agent to widen the search. Tammy Freilich of Remax in Wildwood was great.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:07 AM

What happen when all the boomers are gone? I know my kids have no aspirations towards a Villages type community or even a 55 or older. They want to be be close to where the action Is - but not in DC or LA or CHI or PHL proper. Cities are nice to go in and grab dinner but you don’t want to live in them.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficoguy View Post
What happen when all the boomers are gone? I know my kids have no aspirations towards a Villages type community or even a 55 or older. They want to be be close to where the action Is - but not in DC or LA or CHI or PHL proper. Cities are nice to go in and grab dinner but you don’t want to live in them.
Life and needs and wants change as you get older.

What works now for our 40 something kids and grandkids will probably not work as well 20 or so years from now.

When we were that age we had no aspiration toward a 55 and older community and that sure changed.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:26 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Played golf last Sunday at a medium size course in MA. Starter was a very talkative white haired man. He has sold his house, and all the furniture is in storage in pods. He has a Brownwood villa rented for the month of august, and he and his wife are determined to buy a house in the villages by the end of the month. Asked him a few questions, and he had some quirky answers, though his wife is the major decider. Didn't quite grasp the MLS sales concept as he wanted to buy a pre-owned home, and he has a "TV" sales rep. . .
Friends of ours in MA sold their $650K house this week near us to a young couple from CA. CA couple did the virtual tour and bought the house without leaving CA. The couple was pre-approved for $700 K mortgage.

The current problem in real estate is that there is not enough supply away from the urban centers. Of course the builders did not have time to create rural /suburbia supply for an urban pandemic. There are anecdotal evidence from national home builders' employees that houses are going like wildfire at the moment. People now want open space for their kids and family..

Urban cities will trend towards lower income and will take another several decades to recover, in the northeast, where the cities are the oldest

sportsguy
Most people who live in cities can’t work from home, of course, but you are right that a lot who can are trying to leave the cities. It’s pretty amazing. My girlfriend lives in beautiful western New Jersey. Hardly any high end housing had sold in the area for two years. Now, suddenly, everything from $500,000 to a million in the area is sold, to people who lived in New York.

A friend of ours who has had a nice rent-controlled apartment in New York for twenty-five years, at $4,000 a month, and a good job at a big investment company, and is 63, has been told she can work from home for the rest of her career, so she gave up her apartment and her five mile walk to work and now lives in her weekend cottage in Millbrook, New York, a two hour train ride from the city.

Last night we had dinner (outside) with a couple who has a big place at Golden Ocala. One of their sons is a real estate agent who is supposed to keep five Manhattan apartment houses full and usually has long waiting lists for each. Now he has over a hundred empty apartments.

So, yes, there is a big demand for suburbia, but also for places farther out. Vacation cottages. The Villages. People tell me Manhattan today isn’t much like it was last year. You can stroll down streets without having to stop and dodge every few feet. The energy has been turned way down.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	B596BA9B-520E-4B4F-AEAB-6C1E53928C6D.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	85579  

Last edited by MandoMan; 08-02-2020 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 08:28 AM

Six weeks ago, we bought a small property outside TV, for our daughter. We were in the ~130K range.

Property after property was sold, or under contract. Available in the morning, gone by afternoon. We were astonished ~ if it was solid and cute, it was sold.

Young families looking to get out of apartments?
Old 08-02-2020, 08:43 AM

We got a phone call yesterday from a Properties of the Villages agent. A homebuyer had driven past our house and were interested in buying it because they liked the lot and location. The house is not for sale, so we politely declined. But this tells me demand for certain types of properties in TV is higher than supply and people are getting creative.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts
Default Prices in well run cities down I think not

Quote:
Played golf last Sunday at a medium size course in MA. Starter was a very talkative white haired man. He has sold his house, and all the furniture is in storage in pods. He has a Brownwood villa rented for the month of august, and he and his wife are determined to buy a house in the villages by the end of the month. Asked him a few questions, and he had some quirky answers, though his wife is the major decider. Didn't quite grasp the MLS sales concept as he wanted to buy a pre-owned home, and he has a "TV" sales rep. . .
Friends of ours in MA sold their $650K house this week near us to a young couple from CA. CA couple did the virtual tour and bought the house without leaving CA. The couple was pre-approved for $700 K mortgage.

The current problem in real estate is that there is not enough supply away from the urban centers. Of course the builders did not have time to create rural /suburbia supply for an urban pandemic. There are anecdotal evidence from national home builders' employees that houses are going like wildfire at the moment. People now want open space for their kids and family..

Urban cities will trend towards lower income and will take another several decades to recover, in the northeast, where the cities are the oldest

sportsguy
median rent 1 bedroom , $2,600 if you can find one, condos starting at $500, in the less popular neighborhoods, to over 1, million in better neighborhoods, and the median price of a 1family home at $800,, also the surrounding cities are seeing record jumps in rents and sale of houses the future is not in the burbs , but places where you may not need a car , where you can easily get to top flight medical care, expose your self to the arts a lively city and experience, sure there a virus but it will pass ,in some way the villages itself is what retirement will look like it the future lots to do , able to get around , unlike many of the dreary retirement placesvscattered all across America with there one golfcourse or none,
Old 08-02-2020, 09:46 AM

Village home sales reps do not co-broke w MLS agents, thus the need to work w 2 sales people to look for a pre-owned home.
Old 08-02-2020, 09:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcacace View Post
Village home sales reps do not co-broke w MLS agents, thus the need to work w 2 sales people to look for a pre-owned home.
Yes they do not play well together. Worked at first with mls agent and when she didnt have anything else to show us worked with village sales agent and purchased house quickly.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Yes they do not play well together. Worked at first with mls agent and when she didnt have anything else to show us worked with village sales agent and purchased house quickly.
I'm not surprised that "she didn't have anything else to show", as MLS represents less than 20% of the real estate market. Yet, the "real estate expert" claimed, "It's a sellers market right now. There is only enough inventory to last 2-1/2 months." Such a misleading and unethical post. I'll probably get flagged for that comment.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Microsoft teams beats Zoom, Slack and Webex hands down. Many corporations moving to teams, microsoft will have a few great quarters coming up. . .
My employer is only allowing Microsoft Teams and Skype for meetings. I use Zoom only for personal video meetings.

Tags
house, couple, urban, wife, builders

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.