They used to build the amenities first – fact or fiction – the chicken and the egg?

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2023, 06:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,315 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
The developer is literally in the business of building and selling houses, not building golf courses. They need a minimum density of housing - profit is the definition of capitalism.
I think he is the business of building houses and amenities including golf courses. “Free golf for life” was what they advertised!

How many people would have moved here if we didn’t have free golf? And free golf implies that there will be enough holes to support the population. You can’t just build one executive course for a population of 140,000 and say you have free golf.

And if you have 11 villages, I think you have the minimum population density to build a course.
Old 03-23-2023, 06:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
The Villages is all about the experiences - and getting your mail, is an experience for many.
In Osceola Hills, many people use the mail station for their dogs to crap.

I guess that bothered some people, so in the newer areas like St. Cats and DeLuna, dogs are not allowed in the postal station or in the recreation area.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
They are built surrounding the old landfill and under the high tension power lines... No one would buy a house there.
That is what they said about houses near the turnpike and the houses near the power lines. Check out Richmond, Newell, and Citrus Grove. The houses sold.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
That is what they said about houses near the turnpike and the houses near the power lines. Check out Richmond, Newell, and Citrus Grove. The houses sold.
None of them are built on a landfill...

And I didn't say "near" the power lines. Those courses run directly UNDER the power lines...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-23-2023, 09:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,778 Times in 1,242 Posts

Quote:
If the developer told you he would give you a million dollars if you could come up with a design to put two executive courses (in addition to Southern Oaks) in the area north of the turnpike and south of 44, I bet you would get the money.

You have plenty of room - Chitty Chatty, Bradford, Hawkins, Cason Hammock, St Johns, Richmond, St Catherine’s, Citrus Grove, Newell, Lake Denham, and Dabney.

They had room for two Pitch & Putts and two Putting Greens - but no executive courses.
Are you aware of the courses are being put in on the other side of the Turnpike?
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	54CDC802-7A7C-4D74-BF71-1AEB458BCDFA.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	97627  

Last edited by Altavia; 03-24-2023 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 04:02 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
None of them are built on a landfill...

And I didn't say "near" the power lines. Those courses run directly UNDER the power lines...
Volusia runs under power lines?? And the other two courses are not directly under the power lines - they are built next to the power lines. I don’t think you can put a course in the right of way. It is true that you have to walk under the lines to get to some holes but the courses are not under the power lines. In Citrus Grove, houses are adjacent to the power lines. I think it is better to build golf courses next to power lines and turnpikes instead of building houses.

And you never told us how much more space it would have taken to turn two 18 hole pitch and putts into executive courses.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Volusia runs under power lines?? And the other two courses are not directly under the power lines - they are built next to the power lines. I don’t think you can put a course in the right of way. It is true that you have to walk under the lines to get to some holes but the courses are not under the power lines. In Citrus Grove, houses are adjacent to the power lines. I think it is better to build golf courses next to power lines and turnpikes instead of building houses.

And you never told us how much more space it would have taken to turn two 18 hole pitch and putts into executive courses.
The houses in Citrus Grove are nowhere near as close to the power lines as the holes on Volusia... My buddy lives off of Moyer Loop. His neighbor, across the street backs up to one of the hols on Volusia. You have to got PAST the golf course to get to the power lines... It's a pretty big buffer...

But sure... Keep beating that drum...

And people are already bitchin' about Southern Oaks being built too close to the turnpike. The traffic noise disturbs their concentration...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-24-2023, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
The houses in Citrus Grove are nowhere near as close to the power lines as the holes on Volusia... My buddy lives off of Moyer Loop. His neighbor, across the street backs up to one of the hols on Volusia. You have to got PAST the golf course to get to the power lines... It's a pretty big buffer...

But sure... Keep beating that drum...

And people are already bitchin' about Southern Oaks being built too close to the turnpike. The traffic noise disturbs their concentration...
How do you expect all the Village golfers to win another green jacket with all the turnpike noise?
Old 03-24-2023, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
How do you expect all the Village golfers to win another green jacket with all the turnpike noise?
Especially, since most of them ar half deaf anyhow...

Hell, my cursing drowns out any traffic noise in the area...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-25-2023, 12:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
The other thing about the centralized mail boxes, in a community like the Villages, it is a social experience getting your mail. The Villages is all about the experiences - and getting your mail, is an experience for many.
I never cared for gang mailboxes but I have mellowed with age. I actually prefer the gang mailboxes for one reason. They are more secure.
Old 03-25-2023, 02:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,604 Times in 942 Posts

Quote:

That’s the only reason i play southern oaks - built in excuse. I almost broke 80, but the noise on the turnpike messed up my concentration.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:15 PM

We got a cluster mailbox at our new house up north in the early 90s. I was expecting one at the end of my driveway. They said it's in an urban development. Then I called later and asked why my mail didn't arrive until late evening. They said it's a rural delivery route and they try to get the mail there before dark (9pm in the summer). Meanwhile, older houses in the same county get their mail dropped through a slot on their front door and it lands on their living room floor at 10am.
Old 03-26-2023, 05:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,684 Times in 972 Posts

Quote:
That’s the only reason i play southern oaks - built in excuse. I almost broke 80, but the noise on the turnpike messed up my concentration.
when the turnpike is off my left shoulder I play a trap-draw, into the wind blast from the semis,
and when it is off my right shoulder I play my kiss-cut-fade for the same reason.

And that, my friends, is how I break 100 on Southern Oaks.

It's really not a problem if you have all the shots.
Old 03-26-2023, 11:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
when the turnpike is off my left shoulder I play a trap-draw, into the wind blast from the semis,
and when it is off my right shoulder I play my kiss-cut-fade for the same reason.

And that, my friends, is how I break 100 on Southern Oaks.

It's really not a problem if you have all the shots.
The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
homes, built, amenities, years, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.