Reasons for moving out of TV

View Poll Results: Based on your knowledge (not just assumption), what is the main reason why people sell their TV hous
Don't like the climate 8 6.11%
Don't like the Central Florida region 7 5.34%
Find that The Villages' lifestyle is not for them 15 11.45%
Want to live closer to family 52 39.69%
Health issues 22 16.79%
Financial issues 2 1.53%
Death 16 12.21%
other 9 6.87%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Gold member
Default Reasons for moving out of TV

Just curious...
Old 06-24-2008, 10:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Re: Reasons for moving out of TV

I have heard of a case where one spouse liked it and the other didn't. He was missing his children and grandchildren, NO it was HE who wanted to return to their old home.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default "Grumpy People Don't Last Long."

That's what our Villages sales rep told us when I asked whether everyone being so happy and getting along was really what it appeared. She explained, "sure there are some nasty, grumpy people who buy here. But they don't last long", she said. I asked why and she responded, "Grumps quickly find that no one wants to hear of their complaints about life, their house, the neighbors, the developer, etc." She opined that grumps quickly find themselves with almost no one to talk to and so they leave.

That's surely the way it appears to me. In fact, I don't think I know any grumps.

Whoops! I forgot the POA!
Old 06-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Sage

You know that is right, Kahuna. I think that it is a place for people who are comfortable with themselves and others, have had some life experiences that have 'rounded off' their sharp places and enough successes and failures that they can relate a lot to others similar experiences. I think that that in itself is my biggest draw to TV, that for the most part everyone is grown up and most still act like kids. I love that quality of adventure and fun.

Usually the above lends itself to a sense of humor which I seem to be finding in people at every turn.
Old 06-25-2008, 12:48 PM

:hot:

MOVED TO STONECREST... MORE HOME FOR THE MONEY.. SAME AMMENITIES and access to THE VILLAGES ACTIVITES
Old 06-25-2008, 03:12 PM
mcelheny

People leave for as many reasons as there are people. Quite a few of my friends have left. All had different reasons...for some the summers were too hot and they moved as a group to NC. Some found they got homesick and wanted to go back home. Many found they wanted a smaller gated community or a cheaper gated community. Some just got bored and moved to the big cities on the coasts. I once thought I would be a full timer but I am so loving my hometown with all my friends, a college. Lake Erie, beautiful people that I am having second thoughts. I think being a snowbird would be perfect for us. One thing I know is I find wonderful people everywhere I go...
Old 06-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy62
:hot:

MOVED TO STONECREST... MORE HOME FOR THE MONEY.. SAME AMMENITIES and access to THE VILLAGES ACTIVITES
You live in StoneCrest? You access the villages activities? Hmmm
Old 06-25-2008, 03:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl
You know that is right, Kahuna. I think that it is a place for people who are comfortable with themselves and others, have had some life experiences that have 'rounded off' their sharp places and enough successes and failures that they can relate a lot to others similar experiences. I think that that in itself is my biggest draw to TV, that for the most part everyone is grown up and acts like one.

Usually the above lends itself to a sense of humor which I seem to be finding in people at every turn.
Gracie,

Whose grown up??? LOL

My draw to tv is quite the opposite. I feel and act like a kid again, having fun and casting fate to the wind. I suppose I sound very immature but fortunately I have found people who feel as I do and thats why I dlont think I would ever consider moving out of TV(once I get there).

Gracie, even tho Im a child at heart can we still be friends????

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Gold member

As a Villager Wannabe (very soon) but a frequent visitor, the only reason I can think of is ::: THEY'VE LOST THEIR MINDS!!!!! ;D
Old 06-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonie
Gracie,

Whose grown up??? LOL

My draw to tv is quite the opposite. I feel and act like a kid again, having fun and casting fate to the wind. I suppose I sound very immature but fortunately I have found people who feel as I do and thats why I dlont think I would ever consider moving out of TV(once I get there).

Gracie, even tho Im a child at heart can we still be friends????
Nonie.

You made me rethink what I wrote and I changed it. What I meant to somehow convey is that people had the wisdom from living awhile to be more tolerant, forgiving, comfortable and accepting of themselves and others. And also the joy of throwing caution to the winds and just enjoy living for pure fun.

I do want to be your young friend.

GracieGirl
Old 06-25-2008, 05:36 PM
Banned

Over the years have seen a lot of people move to Florida (not just TV), only to leave a short time later. The most common reasons I've seen are:

1. It's too hot. Florida is not Michigan or New York. To adapt requires a change-of-pace. Eventually you adapt, but many are too impatient for that.

2. Death in the family. I saw this a lot where my folks lived (in the New Port Richey area) where one of the spouses (usually the male) died, and the survivor cried, "My kids need me" and book North ASAP.

3. I'm lonely. For the very shy who have taken lifetimes to develop just a couple outside-the-family relationships (or maybe none at all), this is a hard one.

If you can give a place like TV (or FL in general) a chance, you can find may reasons to mitigate each of the above out-reasons. It's a matter of personal choice.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Sage

Graciegirl,

Well put! :bigthumbsup:

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

I have a friend who moved out of TV.

His reason....he is not social...the social life did not appeal to him.

To each their own....even if I don't agree.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl
You live in StoneCrest? You access the villages activities? Hmmm

Gracie:

He said "same amenities and access to villages activities" Not use of villages amenities.

Most of villages amenities are open to the public, in fact the public is encouraged to use them. The only villages amenities that are strictly for residents (and their guests) are the executive courses, rec centers and pools and Katy Belle's. Stonecrest, Spruce Creek South, Spruce Creek, Water Oak, Orange Blossom, etc, etc, have all those things except the last one which is survivable. I would imagine that the population of the many other retirement communities near TV is probably around 30K and most of those people do a lot of their spending in the villages - as was the intent of the TV developer.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 06-26-2008, 11:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca

Gracie:

He said "same amenities and access to villages activities" Not use of villages amenities.

Most of villages amenities are open to the public, in fact the public is encouraged to use them. The only villages amenities that are strictly for residents (and their guests) are the executive courses, rec centers and pools and Katy Belle's. Stonecrest, Spruce Creek South, Spruce Creek, Water Oak, Orange Blossom, etc, etc, have all those things except the last one which is survivable. I would imagine that the population of the many other retirement communities near TV is probably around 30K and most of those people do a lot of their spending in the villages - as was the intent of the TV developer.

Thank you Russ. I am beginning to sound like a veteran villager. Defensive!

We have friends who live in Stone Crest and I have only been to their house which is nice. The community does not seem to have restrictions on the color of the homes (some are wildly colored) or upkeep (some are not well kept ) or additions (some are not lovely) which is making it appear spotty as they say in real estate. I am glad for the restrictions we have from our "benevolent dictator".

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.