Wireless in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 10-05-2007, 11:33 AM
Default Wireless in the Villages

I think I recently read that it may be in the works for getting WIRELESS Internet for the entire Villages. Does anyone know if that is true. Wouldn't it be WONDERFUL for us to have one big "hot spot"?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to RCT
Default Re: Wireless in the Villages

This should be a no-brainer, if true. would just be another great selling point, not only for residents, but great for kids and grandkids who are growing up with wireless being just another staple of everyday life.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:37 PM
Platinum member

While we're wishing, I'd love to see them bring in fiber-optic cable. That would bring TV into this Century. You have to wonder why any developer would overlook something so obvious when they're marketing TV to the bloomers. Well guess what either wireless and\or broadband is what boomers will be looking for. - George
Old 10-05-2007, 10:31 PM

Wi Fi is as necessary these days and chocolate cake and beer. Not neccessarily together of course. It would be wonderful to have all of TV wireless. Many towns are going that way now so maybe TV will too.
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:47 AM
Founder

USA Today had a story a couple of weeks ago that cities are beginning to back away from WiFI. I didn't read the whole story just the headline. Maybe somebody else read it and can report.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:00 AM
Gold member

Yes I read the some article. If I can remember, I think it was something to do with San Francisco, or one of the Northwest cities. Weather they are WiFi or going WiFi and it was over the company doing the wife and the cost. It was over money - not the service.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:42 AM
concernedvillager

The Resident Advisory Council has floated the idea of providing WIFI access in The Villages. Having "free" WIFI access in The Villages sounds like a great idea. I might be all for it if it paid for itself, was reliable and totally secure. But why stop there - why not provide free wireless cable and wireless telephone services too.

Before the Resident Advisory Council trys to find new ways to spend our amenities fees, they might want to have a close look at how the VCCDD is currently spending our monthly amenities fees. Once they are comfortable with that they could then move on to new ideas like WIFI access.

Things To Consider

If they are going to consider the idea of providing WIFI access there are a number of issues that need to be considered before endorsing this idea.

1. It won't be free. If the VCCDD and the SLCDD provides the service, funds will most likely have to be diverted from the amenities fees "pool" to pay for the installation and support of the service. This means that something else will have to be sacrificed to allow this service to be provided. What do you want to give up so that everyone can have "free" WIFI?

2. Who is going to provide this service? Hopefully the awarding of contracts to provide such a service will be based on ability to provide the best service and not some other criteria.

3. Other communities attempting or considering to provide such a service are backing away from doing so because of cost and technical issues.

Stories on WIFI and Wireless Issues:

US cities' Wi-Fi dreams fading fast

http://www.physorg.com/news109734117.html

WiFi hit; lightning kills Internet access on 4th Street
Repair expected to be done this week; some complain it has other problems, too

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Sa...=1037645509137

Plant City Pinpoints Wireless Network Woes

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2007/oct...?news-breaking

What Now for Muni WiFi?

http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp...ng_sitedefault
Old 10-06-2007, 01:37 PM

Is wireless available to homes with Comcast or is it just high speed? I switched from high speed to wireless and I love it. I'm hoping Comcast can provide wireless to our home if we buy in TV. Having WiFi all over is not as important as having it at home (to me anyway). Thank you all!!!

Pili
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.