Revisiting TV and other Questions

Closed Thread
Old 09-13-2007, 09:35 AM
Default Revisiting TV and other Questions

Hello Everyone!!!
Can't get enough of this forum...My husband discovered it about a month ago and I finally decided to register...
Everyone is so helpfull...Have learned a lot...

We were at TV in April '07 on the "Lifestyle" plan and looked at a few new and resales and decided to go to the Citizens First Mortgage Company to get some estimates on fees...I found the closing fees to be a bit excessive.
It might be because we bought our current home in 1983 and I could be totally out of the loop...
Did most of you go through them or get your own financing? Thoughts???

Also, because we were with another couple when we came down in April, we did not have the time we would have liked to look around, so we were thinking about going back down in December and would like to do the "Lifestyle" plan again. Has anyone been back more than once?

Don't know what we will do if we find something though...My husband has another 18 months to go before he wants to retire....

Decisions...Decisions...
Old 09-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: Revisiting TV and other Questions

We'll be down in Nov. for the 3rd time, twice on the Life Preview.

We had the same plan, retirement in two years. Well, within the past month, my job was eliminated so after 40 years or working with 11 years with the company I just left, I am officially retired. Same day that happened to me, my husband's company went through a down size and restructure and he had a job change that came with a pay cut so needless to say, we are selling our home after the first of the year and heading down to TV much earlier than we planned. But I find, when planning life, life gets in the way.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:55 PM
Veteran member

It's interesting how often we hear about job eliminations, pay-cuts and other forms of restructioning affecting grey-haired workers....ah....predominantly. Could there be a connection....ya think? This abhorrent corporate behavior has gone on way to long. There's going to be a back-lash.....I don't know what form it will take.....but there's going to be a back-lash. I wonder if it has occurred to the elected powers that be that seniors still IN the work force pay into the social security system........and that removal of these people exacerbates and accelerates the well known funding problem not to far off in the future. I'm not an economist....but even I can figure that one out. Gawd help us.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 09-13-2007, 07:11 PM

Bella, We just finished closing a mortgage with Citizens First. I had them give me a good faith estimate of closing costs based on a mortgage. I then checked with several other banks ie: Regions I found that Citizens was less. I am sure that if you shop you can probably beat their rates, but by how much. Everything went so smooth. We closed by mail and I did not get any surprises. The costs were $139. more than quoted and that was because of some cdd fees. Would I go with Citizens First again Yes as long as the mortgage rate is competitive. Call them get preapproved for x amount and they will give you a good faith estimate.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:34 PM
Platinum member

Bella, If you're moving to the State of Florida, your closing costs includes a one-time "Florida Impact" fee of several thousand dollars. Of couurse if you're already a Fl resident, this wouldn't be an issue.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:22 PM
Veteran member

What is a FI impact fee? Is this on new construction or new and used?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:30 AM

gryoung, so sorry to hear about the downsizing of both you and your spouse, everything happens for a reason, and moving to the villages earlier than expected is a great reason...

It probably is this "Florida Impact" fee that has made the closing a little higher than I thought...I also would like to know what this is....

I did call TV yesterday and we will be going back down for 6 days in December on the "Lifestyle" plan...Can't wait!

Also took the advice and rented our golf cart from Jim...It is $3.00 cheaper per day....Rented from the village store last time we were there and it was $18 and change plus we could have walked faster than it drove....

Out of curiosity to everyone...do you thing that a lot of people still work at least part time after they move to the TV?
Old 09-14-2007, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

If you Google "Florida Impact Fee" I think you will find that this is on new construction.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

Bella

Who is Jim? coming to TV in the spring. Last time when we were there, rented a golf cart too. Know EXACTLY what you mean--what a junk. Turned it back in after 1st day!!
Village of Hemmingway
Old 09-14-2007, 09:45 AM
Veteran member

I agree. The rental cart was a junker. If I was trying to sell Yamaha carts, I sure wouldn't want to turn of my prospects by having them try out a junker.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:56 AM

Jim - Got his name off this site - don't know his last name - called him yesterday to reserve a cart - apparently he rents as well as sells - I will call him the day before we come in to arrange a spot for pick up...

Phone number:
352-259-7525
317-258-1241 (cell)
Old 09-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Platinum member

Bella, you may have confused me with another. We were not downsizing... On a separate issue, we've always rented a golf cart from the Village Golf Carts in LSL and although they're known to be a little slower than the others, I wouldn't describe them as "junkers". Jim has excellent prices but you've got to pick you cart in the older secttion of TV, maybe Orange Blossom, across the bridge over 27\441. That's what discouraged us.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:17 PM
Dancing Thyme

I've never done this before, so I'm very nervous.

But, I love the Villages so much. Coming down Nov. 1 for my second time. I had a great time the first time I visited. I've since retired (8/10/07) YEAH!!!! Worked for 48 years straight, no kids, built a mid-exec career in the cosmetics business. Had a great time and loved it a lot. But with corporate business being what it is today, I couldn't take it any longer. I currently live in Los Angeles, moved from Bronx/Manhattan New York over 30 years ago. I'd pick up and move to TV TODAY, but I need to convince my husband that its the place where we should be retired. Thanks for the tips on renting a golf cart. I'll need one Nov. 1 and will look up your suggestions. Thanks for letting me ramble. Hope to see you in Nov.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 09-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Pete

Please explain the "Lifetime Preview" and how many times can you use it??

Old 09-14-2007, 08:55 PM
Veteran member

We've been on it a few times(and going again in Nov.) You need to stay a minimum of three nights - no longer than four nights if you want to stay in the cottages (adorable) off Sumter Landing square.

They give you two free dinners; a free lunch; free movie passes. They will also arrange tee time and tennis. You'll get passes to everything the Villages has to offer.

It's well worth the visit just what you get back in food.

I suggest you call the 800# (from their website) and speak to a rep who can go into detail. But if you want to know if it's worth it, I would say definably. They will also assign a TV rep to show you the homes that are for sale.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.