Think Twice Before Buying an Item From Home Depot That Needs To Be Delivered.

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2020, 07:42 AM

This post relates only to refrigerators. We inherited a Kenmore frig when buying our home, and based on its label plate, it died after less than 3 years of service. To make a long story short, initially the LG compressor failed, and in successive days after a repair, the coils died, then the fan and finally the ice maker. I spoke with the repairman after knowing we had to buy a new unit. I asked what manufacturers we should avoid. He said it was easier to tell you which ones to purchase from. He said to focus on GE, Whirlpool, Frigidaire and Kitchenaide. They use the most reliable parts. He did say stay away from LG and Samsung. They contribute to most of the service calls he makes for refrigerators.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:57 AM

I've knottiest that many people disregard their stuff for new, our Village home is 16 years old, we still have the original washer/dryer, hot water tank, and air conditioner/heating sys. With the help of u-tube I have worked on the washer/dryer a couple times. The hot water tank started to leek a couple years ago, found out it was the plastic drain valve, replace it with a brass one. up-graded to a new Frig. after a couple years the ice maker went on the frits again with the help of u-tube I replaced the control valve two years later still working fine. The moral of this story is with a little investigation you can extend the life of your stuff and save some money.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Just google appliance longevity and you will quickly put to bed the notion refrigerators only last 1-3 years!!!
That is nothing but a salesperson's axe to grind.

No doubt they are not made like they used to be. Then what is.....and that does not automatically imply bad!!

Many of us still have a 15-20 year old refrigerator cranking in the garage.

New life expectancy is in the 7-10 year range....most will do better.

Check Consumer Report among others to get the real story.

1-3 years
Old 01-11-2020, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Home Depot 3rd party delivery company goofed up on our delivery of Samsung Front Loader Wash & Dryer with pedestals. The first day they didn't show up. No big deal. They did show up late in the day the next day. They sorta did the delivery azz ackwards. They removed the old washer & dryer and then unboxed the new units inside the truck. After making sure the boxes were never opened before I went in the house to get them both a drink and to get their tip.

They were inside already with the new equipment by the time I got to the laundry room. Small problem, the stuff they delivered was white and we ordered silver. They asked if we would take the white ones. Nope. Now reverse the process. Back on the truck with the new and hook up the old units. Reported the situation to the store manager and the delivery company on the phone.

The next day on the first delivery our new correct color stuff was delivered and thing went perfectly. Later in the day I went to Home Depot and spoke to the Store Manager. I said I wanted to be compensated for our time. I said I don't care if it's $50 or a $1000. I just want to feel like they cared about what happened to us. 15 minutes later he came back and asked if a $350 adjustment would do the trick. I graciously accepted and all has been fine ever since.

I hardly ever buy the extended warranty but did so as they were having a special and it would have be dopey not to purchase both policies. So far so good. Home Depot is good by me.

Lowes on 441 has one Company truck left for emergency home deliveries. They farmed out all the other work when they found out how hard and expensive it is to have a fleet of drivers and trucks. Smart Business Move.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:36 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Home Depot 3rd party delivery company goofed up on our delivery of Samsung Front Loader Wash & Dryer with pedestals. The first day they didn't show up. No big deal. They did show up late in the day the next day. They sorta did the delivery azz ackwards. They removed the old washer & dryer and then unboxed the new units inside the truck. After making sure the boxes were never opened before I went in the house to get them both a drink and to get their tip.

They were inside already with the new equipment by the time I got to the laundry room. Small problem, the stuff they delivered was white and we ordered silver. They asked if we would take the white ones. Nope. Now reverse the process. Back on the truck with the new and hook up the old units. Reported the situation to the store manager and the delivery company on the phone.

The next day on the first delivery our new correct color stuff was delivered and thing went perfectly. Later in the day I went to Home Depot and spoke to the Store Manager. I said I wanted to be compensated for our time. I said I don't care if it's $50 or a $1000. I just want to feel like they cared about what happened to us. 15 minutes later he came back and asked if a $350 adjustment would do the trick. I graciously accepted and all has been fine ever since.

I hardly ever buy the extended warranty but did so as they were having a special and it would have be dopey not to purchase both policies. So far so good. Home Depot is good by me.

Lowes on 441 has one Company truck left for emergency home deliveries. They farmed out all the other work when they found out how hard and expensive it is to have a fleet of drivers and trucks. Smart Business Move.

Nucky!

The negotiating style you described in paragraph 3 above is a thing of beauty.

If you ever decided to un-retire, you could quickly build a little business in TV — built out of nothing more than just you doing your thing by taking care of such problems for those who do not have skills such as yours. You did not fade away, defeated, nor did you yell and scream, or try to intimidate. (They are used to that.)

You stood up for the consumer’s right to fairness in a transaction while treating the manager in a respectful manner.

I recognize the gift you have of being able to use compromise to get what is fair. Throughout my working years, I often was involved in contract negotiations. I sure would have wanted you to be on my side of that bargaining table.

to you.

Sincerely,
Norma Rae Boomer
Old 01-11-2020, 11:58 AM
Gold member

Lowes and Home Depot are now using 3rd party delivery.
Ordered a fridge on black Friday, came in 3 weeks later.
The delivery window was set for 8am to 8pm.
XPO logistics (delivery company) called at 7:30pm said "the truck broke down" will have to re-schedule.
Re-scheduled,same window, no show, no call.
3rd re-schedule, same 8-8 window, called said same excuse, "truck broke down"
Went to Lowes, canceled the order, Lowes called XPO.
Got a call from XPO at 9:30 pm said we can be there in an hour and a half. (they deliver from Orlando)
Told them to forget it. Told Lowes we will never buy from them again.
Lowes was very apologetic and said it was a "corporate" decision to go with XPO, and are getting many customer complaints.
Next day went to a mom and pop shop in Ocala, found the same fridge, same price.
We're done buying from the big box stores.
(Best Buy also uses XPO for delivery)
XPO Logistics complaints" - Google Search
Old 01-11-2020, 12:01 PM
Veteran member

My refrigerator that was put in when the house was built is 17 years old now and still going strong. I hope it outlives me!
Old 01-11-2020, 12:10 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Addendum:

Nucky!

I forgot to include this part when I wrote about you in Post #35:

In addition to recognizing your negotiating skills, I also want to say thank you for being aware of how it is for those who must interact with a range of personality types when trying to do their jobs — from a powerless position.

When you said you gave those delivery guys a drink of water and a tip, I thought — of course — that is the decent thing to do and Nucky knows it.

I have lately noticed how somewhat surprised those in service jobs seem to be when treated well. I once had a mover tell me that I would not believe how many people do not offer them even a drink of water as they work their tails off all day. Actually, that did not surprise me at all.

And don’t get me started on how some people treat servers. (I think everybody should be a server at some point in their lives.)

But, I digress.

Anyway, Nucky, kudos to you for knowing how to treat others.

Boomer

PS: Back on topic: We have bought two French door refrigerators, one at home and one in the Florida house. One an Electrolux and one an LG. Both had ice-maker problems, repeatedly. The Electrolux was eventually replaced. The LG was finally fixed by a local guy who knew how to rig the part to actually work.

Anybody who has an older appliance should go give it a big hug right now. Those who wrote here about built in obsolescence are absolutely correct. (I will say, I still love my Speed Queen washer and dryer, bought from a Mom & Pop store up north.)

Last edited by Boomer; 01-11-2020 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-11-2020, 12:19 PM
Veteran member

Appliance Direct if not busy that day will FOLLOW YOU HOME with the appliance.......and they are usually cheapest.....
Old 01-11-2020, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
Appliance Direct if not busy that day will FOLLOW YOU HOME with the appliance.......and they are usually cheapest.....

I love their commercials.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,016 Times in 1,010 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I understand that Home Depot relies on the manufacturer to deliver their appliances, so different brands will come from different places. But, Lowes has their own trucks and their own employees to deliver their appliances. So, they have total control over the delivery. Also, Lowes will allow 30 day returns for almost any reason, but Home Depot will not. It is better to buy appliances from Lowes.
agreed. never had a 'bad' purchase from Lowe's. up north we had an issue with home depot & a washing machine. sounds like the same story. now i avoid the Depot @ all costs.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:51 PM

At least they let me borrow a refrigerator have been without any appliances since Dec 14. They say it is LGs problem. I called corporate at LG and Home Depot. LG explained everything to me and Homedepot outride lied to me were very unhelpful. I will never deal with them again. Needless to say we are using our grill a lot. They are now saying Feb 8th. Homedepot has refused to lend me a stove.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Can you be more specific? The Citi credit card department told me that they do not offer a credit card that extends warranties on anything.

FYI, here is an update:

"Due to Citi recently cutting benefits across its entire range of rewards cards, extended warranty cover is no longer offered on the Citi® Double Cash Card."

The CITI Costco card still has the extended warranty (just used it 2 weeks ago on a printer) however most all the bank cards ended it last year except on SELECTED cards. Some AMEX cards still have it as well. They still will honor it if it was dropped as long as the purchase was made when it was available.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
Yes, if you buy what they have in back but they often don't have the one you specifically want in stock especially higher end models. Best Buy (who I hate as much as Comcrap) stocks a few as well and their "open box" deals are sometimes spectacular if you are there at the right time. Our OTC microwave died and we bought one that was $400+ all over for $99. It was brand new, still had all the tape on it. Customer returned it because it didn't fit in their space.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:19 PM

I buy everything on Amazon. Check out reviews, prices on other websites, then buy from Amazon. At most, they might be a day late, but that's rare.

Tags
delivery, home, depot, refrigerator, people

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.