Thinking of coming down

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2021, 07:33 AM

I agree with BayLady. I just received the 2nd Moderna shot and had flu like symptoms as she described. In addition, you don't have full protection for 3 weeks after the 2nd shot. I'm interested in seeing if the shots last only 3 months----that's not encouraging---or if they last a lot longer and if they protect us from the mutant strains.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,310 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
We had planned on coming down early March as we were last down mid January. Now my wife cannot get the time off. Because of that I can leave as early as Thursday afternoon after my 2nd Covid shot. The issue I have is do I want to do the 20 hour drive alone and I know 10 days in The Villages will be great but not as great if my wife was with me. I am also afraid that the ride home will be terrible more so than the drive down. I guess I am just venting as I try to figure out what is best. If I don’t do this then it will be the end of April before we get down there.
Do you have a place to stay lined up for ten days last minute high season ?
Old 02-24-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
We had planned on coming down early March as we were last down mid January. Now my wife cannot get the time off. Because of that I can leave as early as Thursday afternoon after my 2nd Covid shot. The issue I have is do I want to do the 20 hour drive alone and I know 10 days in The Villages will be great but not as great if my wife was with me. I am also afraid that the ride home will be terrible more so than the drive down. I guess I am just venting as I try to figure out what is best. If I don’t do this then it will be the end of April before we get down there.
We live in the villages... in the quiet part, we also just moved here after a long drive, but further than yours, Portland Oregon!,... if you're looking for a place to stay?...we have a beautiful clean quiet queen sized room with a private bath that we rent to visitors. We were super host on Airbnb for 15 years, if you're interested please get ahold of me, we have no pets and no children, thank you
Old 02-24-2021, 07:37 AM
Veteran member
Default Trip

Quote:
Coming from Mass and I cannot go outside much because of the cold and snow. The cold goes right through me and I can’t afford to fall. We own a house there for 2 years now. We were down a week in Nov., a week in Jan and will be down for a week in April to close up for the summer. Since I am retired was just hoping to get more time.
You state you're retired and the cold bothers you. Why not come down and stay until your wife can join you in April. You own a home here use it and enjoy life.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately I cannot fly right now so driving is the option. We drove down for a week in Nov and a week in Jan.
It’s a tough drive, we tried it on Jan 3rd, a Sunday, light traffic day and planned on trying to do it straight through. Well courtesy of oversleeping and some traffic backups due to accidents, after 14 hours and most of the way through SC we just couldn’t do it. We finished the remaining 6 hours the following morning
Old 02-24-2021, 07:43 AM

DH and I are not yet retired and we come without each other. We like to check on the house every two-to-three months. While we are here together several times a year, we come alone if our schedule has an opening. Our drive is 16-18 hours depending on traffic, and I drive it in one day. I’m dreading going home this Saturday! That drive is hard, and I don’t come unless I can stay at least two weeks. So, on the Original Poster’s scenario, I would not drive down.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Definitely wait a few days after your vaccine. Then bring a friend. As you know, it is a long dangerous drive between fog, heavy rain, your fatigue & other drivers who may be overtired.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:52 AM

I just did the 17 hour trip a month ago with 3 weeks in between- not fun when your alone - the dogs helped but I hope I wil never have to do it again
Old 02-24-2021, 07:54 AM

Auto Train
Old 02-24-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywt View Post
we had planned on coming down early march as we were last down mid january. Now my wife cannot get the time off. Because of that i can leave as early as thursday afternoon after my 2nd covid shot. The issue i have is do i want to do the 20 hour drive alone and i know 10 days in the villages will be great but not as great if my wife was with me. I am also afraid that the ride home will be terrible more so than the drive down. I guess i am just venting as i try to figure out what is best. If i don’t do this then it will be the end of april before we get down there.
stay home
Old 02-24-2021, 08:25 AM

It’s great that you asked for input. I personally find others can bring up things I hadn’t considered. My only thought, being a woman, is “How does your wife feel about you going without her?” Good marriages respect each other.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:31 AM
Send a message via AIM to joelfmi
Default Side effects from the vaccine

side effects which most people get from the vaccine can for most part be bad, I recommend you wait at least 7 days after the shoot before you take long trips, like Florida. I have taken the vaccine and had bad side effects so be careful in traveling. A lot of my friends have had lingering side effects also.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersweeney View Post
I just did the 17 hour trip a month ago with 3 weeks in between- not fun when your alone - the dogs helped but I hope I wil never have to do it again
How far did the dogs drive when helping?
Old 02-24-2021, 08:35 AM

Also they say full effects of the vaccine take a couple of weeks. People can still get Covid with the vaccine. Why not give your body time to build the antibodies. Maybe your wife can get more time off and you both come for a longer visit in April.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
You also have to think about how you are going to feel after the second shot. The last thing you want to do is that drive alone and having a reaction to the second shot.

We "kind of" have similar issue. We have lots of credit with the airline and i want to come down...easy right. Well there's the dog ...and yes, we have a cart, but having the car in addition is nice too. Then there is that 2nd shot in 2 weeks....and I HATE long car rides. Lol. I feel your pain.
But, as someone said, at least give a day after the shot for reaction recovery.
Closed Thread

Tags
great, drive, wife, early, coming

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.