Thinking of Moving to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-24-2018, 10:09 AM
Default Thinking of Moving to The Villages

My wife and I have done extensive research in the are of The Villages as far as relocating to the area. I read something this morning that might be of interest to others considering moving to The Villages. The proximity of the Coleman Federal Prison came up on one of our searches. I have eliminated any possibility of purchasing a home in The Villages. For those of you that are not puzzled that the home prices are continuing to rise I wonder if you acted impulsively or just are not aware of the location of the prison.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:07 PM

There are plenty of other criminals I'd worry about that aren't locked up before worrying about those at the Coleman facility. I worry much more about sink holes than prison breaks. No place is perfect. I'm happy here.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:14 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineerman View Post
My wife and I have done extensive research in the are of The Villages as far as relocating to the area. I read something this morning that might be of interest to others considering moving to The Villages. The proximity of the Coleman Federal Prison came up on one of our searches. I have eliminated any possibility of purchasing a home in The Villages. For those of you that are not puzzled that the home prices are continuing to rise I wonder if you acted impulsively or just are not aware of the location of the prison.
Your research may have been extensive, but it is flawed. I live in The Villages and Coleman is 19 miles from my home. Go to one of the sex offender locator sites and put your address in. You might be surprised.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Sounds like maybe you're upset that you couldn't find a house you wanted at a price you wanted? To condemn an entire of 120,000 people and (however many) gazillion square miles because outside of one neighborhood is a prison. Did you come look? Did you look at crime statistics? Exactly where did you do this research, and what other statistics did you look at? From where are you transplanted?

I've never felt so safe in my life.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

to remain polite your post is either in jest oy more likely BAIT.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
You just kind of called us to stupid to know better, that there is a prison nearby. Some here may be older, some hard of hearing, and some sight impaired, but I assure you we know exactly where we bought and smile all the way to the bank when homes sell In less than a week.
So if you have any new information that might be really informative to the residents who live here feel free to post. In the mean time you might want to try Solivita community. It is many miles away from the prison, and since you have ruled out TV it could be a good fit for you.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:00 PM
Gold member

The homes in Ossining NY close to where I have a home command some of the highest prices in NY. In case you are wondering, Ossining is home to Sing Sing Prison.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,504 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

Your first post!!

You must have an agenda for such a negative, pot stirring post.

Since you aren't moving here, there is no problem.

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-25-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:18 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

Friends of mine live near the prison in Santa Fe, NM. Housing in their area is very exclusive and expensive.

BTW, if I could move to a 55 and over community today I would hands down choose The Villages in a heartbeat; I have looked at several GL, Del Webb, Ross Cortese (Leisureworld) and Robson (Saddlebrooke) communities.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-25-2018, 04:21 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Right.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:28 PM

look at carry permits in villages i think i would head the other way.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:51 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Congrats for taking the time to do a thorough search. I know some people who made the decision to move to TV based on what their friends told them over the phone or after just a few days of visiting esp during the winter.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
I remember discussing this last July, see link below. If I moved to TV now, I couldn't afford it. I came in 2011 with $163K to spend on a new home and didn't want a mortgage. I bought a brand new masonry 2 BR CYV for $157K, today I would be looking in the $230K range. Probably would of done a reverse mortgage purchase or bought somewhere else.

The Village of Fenney?
Old 03-25-2018, 05:09 PM
Default Wow!

Quote:
Possibly the silliest TOTV post ever. 2 of u extensive research, warning others, higher home prices only cause buyers are unaware, could you explain with your extensive research where in Florida or anywhere you can have the amenities TV offers for $145 per month?
Old 03-25-2018, 05:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,656 Times in 938 Posts

Quote:
Yes. I acted impulsively and have regretted it ever since. The Villages is terrible. Please stay away.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, home, moving, prison, purchasing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.