Thinking of Moving to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2018, 05:12 PM

We have a place in the Villages, but our permanent home is in El Dorado Hills, Ca, a very upscale town 10 miles from Folsom prison. No crime to speak of, great schools, friendly hometown environment, with houses selling from 500k to 3M...if there was a problem living close to a prison, I don't think people would be rushing to buy here, paying over the asking price in a lot of cases. And, people wouldn't be rushing to the Villages either for many of the same reasons. I really don't think you did a thorough job in your research...there are a lot more factors to think of in considering where to move...and I think most Villagers are thrilled to have discovered such a great place to live at such a reasonable price. I don't think 100,000 Villagers could be that stupid.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorhome View Post
Look at carry permits in villages i think i would head the other way.
How do you look at them in TV, I can only find a state total? In the state of Florida there 1,784,395 at this very moment. With a population of 21.3 million that means about 1 in every 12 people have a concealed weapon, that's in the whole state.

The Villages on the smaller scale might have more concealed licenses on a whole because we have a large concentration of law-abiding citizens with clean records and prior military experience. How do I know that, we have the largest American Legion in the country and the VA opened a medical facility in TV because the Leesburg branch couldn't handle it, and within the first year I believe they fulfilled the compliment of 16,000 veterans. I feel safer in TV than anywhere else in Florida.

What if a nut case opened fire at one of the squares? I don't think it would happen because they would be out-numbered very quickly. They're mostly cowards who go to gun-free zones like schools to do their shooting. If you want to live in a gun-free state, I use to live in one it was called the State of Maryland, it was almost impossible to get a concealed weapon permit. When I lived there I would never go into Baltimore City unless I absolutely had business there or was in a large group of people.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Two pages of replies and no response from engineerman (OP)........drop the bait and run?
Old 03-25-2018, 05:36 PM
Sage

If you're worried about a prison break I can assure you that is not an everyday occurrence. There are a lot more bad guys that are not in prison.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:20 PM
Platinum member

I played golf with Whitey Bulger today. He wanted to wager cigarettes but I don't smoke. I ended up losing two cups of Ramen Noodles and a bag if Fritos. He cheated but I let it slide for some reason.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Yes. I acted impulsively and have regretted it ever since. The Villages is terrible. Please stay away.
Yep us too. We bought after several days way back in 2012.

Yep stay away OP.

My name tells how I really feel about this place.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Have you noticed an increase in these types of posts since the Political Forum is not available for some to air their anxiousness? To suggest the lack of knowledge of the surroundings is foolish.

You should see your neighbors at the gun range. Very impressive to say the least. Many are Veterans, I wouldn't test them. Many of the Villagers women at the range are a better shot than the men. So back up Jack. Peace Out!
Old 03-25-2018, 07:54 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmorhome View Post
look at carry permits in villages i think i would head the other way.
Not enough ?
Old 03-25-2018, 08:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
Congrats for taking the time to do a thorough search. I know some people who made the decision to move to TV based on what their friends told them over the phone or after just a few days of visiting esp during the winter.
I think folks should be reminded you do not live here and have never lived here. Just to be fair. We who call this place home find much to enjoy and we feel defensive.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

OP, the sinkholes are a bigger problem than the proximity of the prison. Too bad you decided not to buy based on the location of the prison, you are the one losing out. This is one of the greatest places on earth. Hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineerman View Post
My wife and I have done extensive research in the are of The Villages as far as relocating to the area. I read something this morning that might be of interest to others considering moving to The Villages. The proximity of the Coleman Federal Prison came up on one of our searches. I have eliminated any possibility of purchasing a home in The Villages. For those of you that are not puzzled that the home prices are continuing to rise I wonder if you acted impulsively or just are not aware of the location of the prison.[/B]
I'm very aware there is a prison nearby but the last time I looked, they weren't releasing prisoners into the general populace during guard break times. LOL

Research is flawed and only has considered one factor out of many to live here. I've never lived in a safer place, as crime is very low. That's a fact.

Since you have ruled out living here, it's your loss is all I can say, as 120,000 happy people can't be all wrong for choosing this safe place home.

I'm wondering if the OP has ever visited TV. First post makes me suspicious. HMMMMMM.......unless it's pot stirring.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-29-2018, 11:43 AM

Crime rate is very low here.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:53 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmiata View Post
Crime rate is very low here.
And almost none of it is violent. It is mostly personal property theft usually to buy drugs. More a nuisance than a major threat.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-29-2018, 12:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineerman View Post
My wife and I have done extensive research in the are of The Villages as far as relocating to the area. I read something this morning that might be of interest to others considering moving to The Villages. The proximity of the Coleman Federal Prison came up on one of our searches. I have eliminated any possibility of purchasing a home in The Villages. For those of you that are not puzzled that the home prices are continuing to rise I wonder if you acted impulsively or just are not aware of the location of the prison.
I grew up about 3 miles from a maximum security prison and now teach in the local county jail. I feel right at home in TV and am happy to live here June through mid-January...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 03-29-2018, 12:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think folks should be reminded you do not live here and have never lived here. Just to be fair. We who call this place home find much to enjoy and we feel defensive.
Good info, GG. The ignore list is becoming a favorite tool.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, home, moving, prison, purchasing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.