Thinking of Moving to The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2018, 03:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,683 Times in 971 Posts

I agree with OP...so...if any of you agree with OP and would like to sell me your home, very cheaply, PM me.

ps. I live up north in a town with not one prison (but two!).
Old 03-29-2018, 04:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineerman View Post
My wife and I have done extensive research in the are of The Villages as far as relocating to the area. I read something this morning that might be of interest to others considering moving to The Villages. The proximity of the Coleman Federal Prison came up on one of our searches. I have eliminated any possibility of purchasing a home in The Villages. For those of you that are not puzzled that the home prices are continuing to rise I wonder if you acted impulsively or just are not aware of the location of the prison.
Given that the US has a greater percentage of its population locked up in prison than any other country in the world, you are going to find prisons scattered over much of the country. Good luck finding a good active retirement community (or any other kind of community) that isn't relatively close to a prison these days! You aren't just eliminating The Villages, you're eliminating several other retirement communities in this area as well as all over the rest of the country. As far as not being puzzled about the continually rising house prices, it's because The Villages is really that desirable to move to! But hey, it's not for everybody (not that we could fit everybody!). Keep on searching and hopefully you'll find a community as perfect for you as The Villages is for my wife and I!
Old 03-29-2018, 04:10 PM
Veteran member

No one tells potential buyers that Coleman prison is nearby. WE were here 5 years before I knew Coleman existed. Nothing has happened but I don't think I would live any closer than I do now. If it's no big deal, why don't they mention it?
Old 03-29-2018, 04:19 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
Given that the US has a greater percentage of its population locked up in prison than any other country in the world, you are going to find prisons scattered over much of the country. Good luck finding a good active retirement community (or any other kind of community) that isn't relatively close to a prison these days! You aren't just eliminating The Villages, you're eliminating several other retirement communities in this area as well as all over the rest of the country. As far as not being puzzled about the continually rising house prices, it's because The Villages is really that desirable to move to! But hey, it's not for everybody (not that we could fit everybody!). Keep on searching and hopefully you'll find a community as perfect for you as The Villages is for my wife and I!
Well stated Jerry! Mr. or Ms. OP, I also believe in researching any area before moving there. Tell us where your research indicates a place where you are a member of more than 15 country clubs, have free access to more than 36 executive golf courses, have more than 100 miles of hard surfaced multi modal paths, have more than three live music and dancing venues with entertainment nightly, have more than 2000 clubs and organizations you may join, have more than 100 restaurant choices within easy access, have more than 70 swimming pools, numerous pickelball, bocce ball, shuffleboard, tennis, and basketball courts, have three multiplex theatres and live performance venues, have common areas that are kept like a royal garden, and all for a $145 "HOA" fee. If your research gives you a place with all this, and more, along with no nearby unpleasantries , please share it with us.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big guy View Post
No one tells potential buyers that Coleman prison is nearby. WE were here 5 years before I knew Coleman existed. Nothing has happened but I don't think I would live any closer than I do now. If it's no big deal, why don't they mention it?
Maybe because it's no big deal.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:56 PM

Grew up in PA close to a federal prison that had a prison riot that made the national news for several days. Never felt threatened then and I sure don't feel threatened now that we bought a home in Fenney. Did the research before we bought in Fenney and knew about the prision...no big deal.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:56 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

In 1971 I was living in Rochester, New York when the Attica prison riot occurred. Although I never felt threatened I thought it was a very messy and brutal situation. Attica Prison riot - Wikipedia

Then I was living about 30 miles outside Santa Fe, NM when that terrible prison riot broke out in 1980. Friends of mine live in a neighborhood nearby and I thought it really affected them. New Mexico State Penitentiary riot - Wikipedia

That prison has had a few inmates escape over the years and the nearby neighborhoods get notified when it happens. I vividly remember this time in 1987 as I was at my friends' house. 2 KILLERS AND 5 OTHERS ESCAPE FROM NEW MEXICO PRISON - The New York Times

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 03-29-2018 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:19 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,315 Times in 384 Posts

Dont worry about those inside Coleman, worry about those outside.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, home, moving, prison, purchasing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.