Old 01-26-2008, 01:48 AM
Veteran member
Default Orlando Sentinel Article re: TV's Siding Problems

If you didn't read today's article, you can find it here:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...ge=1&track=rss
Old 01-26-2008, 02:40 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Orlando Sentinel Article re: TV's Siding Problems

If I was in this position, I'd contact the POA who according to the article knows of many others in the same situation. With POA help, I'd contact all affected residents and with mutual agreement, talk with an attorney regarding a class action suit against TV and the contractor. Why chase your tail?
Old 01-26-2008, 02:51 AM

After 1 year I'm not surprised the Villages washed their hands of this mess.

I owned a home up north It was covered with aluminum as was the entire development. There was a bad hail storm that damaged the siding and everyone had to get new. Everybody got vinyl siding Some people up graded to thicker siding most did not. The upgraded siding continued to look good for several years with no problems. Those who got the thin grade had a bucket full of problems.

In case folks don't know it there are various grades of siding I've saw the villages siding and I know this to be a very thin grade. The thinner the siding the more probems with buckling excessive movement fading etc. Also depending on normal wind direction and how the siding was overlapped could also cause the siding to fall off with storm winds.

When it comes to thin grade of siding proper installation is a must.

My opinion about vinyl siding. I would not get it again but up north there are very few options.

Wishing you all only the best on your fight.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:35 AM

I originally heard there were about 1000 homes involved. Sounds like these folks should find a good lawyer and get a class action suit against TV. Maybe all the negative press will force them to address the problem before it goes to court.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:01 AM
Platinum member

I'll bet the number is a lot higher than 1,000. Think about it. The same group of builders, employing the same talent pool of day laborers? I'd bet an independent siding inspector would find fault with just about every siding job South of 466. I happened to be visiting in Virginia Trace when Mr. Micucci and his buddy did an inspection of a CYV. When you know what you're looking for, the faults just jump out at you. It's a done deal for many of us. I only hope that when and if I have to replace the vinyl siding, I have the money and can find competent people to do the job correctly. I'm not going to get crazy and lay awake at night worrying over the problem. One of my questions to Mr. Micucci last October was, "How much would it cost to re-side my CYV from scratch." He never did answer me but my guess is around $2500. George
Old 01-26-2008, 12:55 PM

I heard this morning from a highly reputable source that the siding was incorrectly installed and is buckling. What recourse is there?
Soon to be a villager
M.L. McKay
Old 01-26-2008, 01:44 PM

If this problem were as large as 1000 or more another option to the lawsuit would be for 100 or so homeowners of this siding problem or friends to picket each sales office daily until TV fixes the problem. There is strength in numbers. Do you think they want to scare off buyers in this housing climate and it would generate negative press. They are not worried if one or two people complain at a time but 100’s would be another story. It’s a slap in the face when they turn their back to you. Let’s get organized and get out to the sales offices. Otherwise live with the problem or pay yourself to have it replaced.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Are buyers in TV supposed to assume that because a home is new an inspection is not necessary?

I don't get how inspections for new or pre-owned work in TV.

Can the buyer make the purchase contingent upon the results of the inspection?

I was given the impression that the seller had the right to fix any problems revealed by an inspection, but that a bad result could not kill a deal. If this is the case, then I guess it comes down to just what does "fix" mean?

I never did completely understand the role of the inspection in the deal. It seemed so different from contracts I have entered here where the buyer could build in contingencies that could kill the deal under certain inspection results. - major problems. Of course, at that point, the seller was left with disclosure.

I kept asking questions when I was in TV, and I kept hoping I was understanding the answers wrong. It seemed like signing a contract to purchase was a bit like signing to buy a pig in a poke. At that point, you could have all the inspections you wanted, but the seller had the right to "fix" things.

At the time, I had been reading about the ongoing siding problems, and I had concerns. Buying into aggravation was not part of our plan.

It was not the time for us to buy anyway so I put the issue on the back burner. But this thread has reminded me that I really need clarification. Can anybody explain the role of inspection results in buying in TV? I really don't get it.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

as a Villager-to-yet-arrive, this troubles me in that a developer can know a problem exists but won't stand up to rectify it. There are too many instances to be a fluke.

I understand class action suits - but what a horrible hassle for everyone except the attorneys. Nothing about this seems good.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:15 PM

From my understanding once you sign the papers and put down your non-refundable 20% deposit you are purchasing that home. Period. Many people have said TV will come out and fix problems in a timely fashion for the first year but I guess that means small problems.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclicker
From my understanding once you sign the papers and put down your non-refundable 20% deposit you are purchasing that home. Period. Many people have said TV will come out and fix problems in a timely fashion for the first year but I guess that means small problems.
nyclicker,

Thank you.

So it does boil down to a pig in a poke and/or the definition of fix.

I would rather invest a little money for an inspection before signing. Inspecting first could deliver an outstanding ROI. But my guess is that would not be allowed by TV.

"Money" has an article this month where they rate financial decisions on a scale from prudent to paranoid. It's cleverly done. I wonder where all this would rank.

This is way too hard for those of us who ask lots of questions. But I guess it's a lot like anything else where it is risk vs. benefit.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:20 PM
Platinum member

Having survived the Tornado of Feb 2, 2007, and having witnessed the total destruction of so many homes, you realize that it doesn't matter how correctly the vinyl siding was installed, there's nothing that could withstand that kind of hit from nature.

It's very easy to become so focused (and preoccupied) with this vinyl siding issue which is really insignificant in the overall scheme of things, that you lose sight of why you moved to TV in the first place. I'm not dismissing it, but short of a class action suit, you have to let it go. For new buyers, TV's Warranty dept is very responsive to fixing things, and very quickly. If you can point out the problems during the first year, they'll fix them. But you're not going to hold up the closing contingent on an independent inspection.

George
Old 01-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Soaring Parsley

gryoung,

--so with inspections in TV, it is risk vs. benefit for new buyers.

Now, I get it.

I don't like it, but I get it.

Thanks.

BB
Old 01-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Gold member

We've vistied TV a few times in the past few years and one thing we noticed was the poor quality of the siding. I've had vinyl siding in Michigan years ago that withstood 70 mile hour winds and a 60 foot tree hitting the house. Never had one problem with it even after the damage. The siding just popped back into place. Reading about the problems with the siding in TV I know that there is no way we will buy a house with it.

I agree that a class action law suite is probably the only way to get them to do something. Maybe an article in USA Today and something on UTube.

We did find that there was a lot of low quality products used in the houses we've looked at during our visits. I know they are in the business to make a profit but for what they charge it seems like they could offer a little better quality and still make money.

No one wants to pay out their hard earned retirement dollars and then have to worry about problems that may cost them more money.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 01-27-2008, 10:01 AM

I agree with "gryoung" regarding the "let it go" comment.

We had our home inspected prior to purchase by a FL "certified" home inspector who claimed no problem with the siding. Not to say there isn't, but the report was OK.

The earlier thread about product quality is right on target. Siding comes in many grades from paper thin to nearly 1/8" thick at considerable extra cost. You get what you get what you pay for all along the line.

I dare say if "top of the line" stuff had been used everywhere in the homes, we would be paying considerably more than the reasonable prices we are for homes in TV.

TV has no corner on shoddy workmanship. I was involved in selling home improvements for a while including siding and I saw so many corners cut it wasn't funny. I finally got out of the business because it went completely against my grain.

It's all a trade-off.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.