White Water related deposits on fixtures (Calicum?)

Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2019, 04:06 PM
Default White Water related deposits on fixtures (Calicum?)

I have found that our sink fixtures and shower fixtures have a lot of white (calcium?) water-related spots on them. The sink stoppers and shower hoses are especially spotted. The sink stoppers are easy enough to remove and polish clean with a bit of elbow grease and non-scratching cleaner, however the ~36-inch metal clad shower head hose would be impossible to clean this way.

My Questions:
1) What is a good cleaner? (looking for a soak only option, vinegar? Lemon juice? Some other commercial product?)

2) What is a good prevention? (I wanted to ask here before going to any of those water treatment places as I think I will get better info here.... I think everyone understands that I am not looking for a salesman’s response... )

Thank you for your helpful information in advance!
Old 09-11-2019, 04:48 PM
Veteran member

Vinegar
Old 09-11-2019, 05:17 PM
Veteran member

CLR. You can get it at a hardware store.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:18 PM
Gold member

Vinegar
Old 09-11-2019, 05:37 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

Get a Nova water softener and you won't have those deposits, we had them and now, nearly two years later after installing the Nova system, no more calcium spots or buildup.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:25 PM

Brasso is a metal cleaner and polisher
Old 09-11-2019, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

If you routinely spray everything in the shower with one of those daily shower cleaners while the shower is still wet, it will prevent calcium buildup, especially on the shower walls and glass. Once it builds up, it is very difficult to clean. Other than that, I think a whole house water softener would be the only real solution.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Get a Nova water softener and you won't have those deposits, we had them and now, nearly two years later after installing the Nova system, no more calcium spots or buildup.
Totally agree with water filters and softener. Why continuously clean, and clean, and clean, when you can prevent the deposits.
Old 09-12-2019, 06:57 AM
Sage

So will the filter alone stop them or do you need the softener also?
Old 09-12-2019, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
The water in The Villages is pretty good as compared with other water systems I have used. So, I don't think either a filter or a softener is needed. But, a softener is specifically designed to prevent calcium deposits. I don't understand why someone would want to filter all the water in the house. I also don't like the idea that water is sitting in these systems without circulating all the time. I have a concern that the water could become contaminated. I also know that some people will disagree with everything I said.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 09-12-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:44 AM
Sage

The filters won't remove the calcium the Nova softener will. We have both Nova systems and have great water, clear ice, and no need for a fridge filter.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Water filters remove contamination like Chlorine, which affect the taste and some may potentially be unhealthy.

Water softeners "soften" water. They do not remove calcium, they change it into a different form that won't build up on water fixtures, won't require you to use more soap in the laundry, etc.

Also, there is a "myth" that salt based water softeners can be bad for people on limited sodium diets. This is NOT true. All of the research indicates there is no significant amounts of sodium in the water if the softener is working correctly.

However, a couple con's to salt based water softeners:

1. It is hard to make good coffee or tea with soft water. You can use it, but the coffee/tea flavor will not be extracted as well and you will notice the grinds tend to "float" and may escape the coffee filter and get into the coffee. We buy bottled spring water specifically for making coffee and tea.

2. Periodically the water softener back flushes (cleans) itself with salt water. When it does this it needs to dump the salt water someplace. In most cases this would be piped to the septic or sewer drainage pipes. But that is not always possible (or cost effective) depending on where the drain pipes are and where your water supply comes into your house. Some people just let it dump onto the ground outside the house, but that could kill some kinds of plants. So, be sure to discuss this with the contractor installing the softener.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Water filters remove contamination like Chlorine, which affect the taste and some may potentially be unhealthy.

Water softeners "soften" water. They do not remove calcium, they change it into a different form that won't build up on water fixtures, won't require you to use more soap in the laundry, etc.

Also, there is a "myth" that salt based water softeners can be bad for people on limited sodium diets. This is NOT true. All of the research indicates there is no significant amounts of sodium in the water if the softener is working correctly.

However, a couple con's to salt based water softeners:

1. It is hard to make good coffee or tea with soft water. You can use it, but the coffee/tea flavor will not be extracted as well and you will notice the grinds tend to "float" and may escape the coffee filter and get into the coffee. We buy bottled spring water specifically for making coffee and tea.

2. Periodically the water softener back flushes (cleans) itself with salt water. When it does this it needs to dump the salt water someplace. In most cases this would be piped to the septic or sewer drainage pipes. But that is not always possible (or cost effective) depending on where the drain pipes are and where your water supply comes into your house. Some people just let it dump onto the ground outside the house, but that could kill some kinds of plants. So, be sure to discuss this with the contractor installing the softener.
Water conditioners, which are more expensive than softeners, condition water so that the calcium and magnesium won't build up. Water softeners remove calcium and magnesium with sodium or potassium and flush away the calcium and magnesium when it back flushes. Softeners are the way to go and much less expensive. The complete Nova system with 3 stage whole house filters and the softener system is around $1,600.00. Give them a call and they'll explain it all without giving you a hard sales pitch.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Water conditioners, which are more expensive than softeners, condition water so that the calcium and magnesium won't build up. Water softeners remove calcium and magnesium with sodium or potassium and flush away the calcium and magnesium when it back flushes. Softeners are the way to go and much less expensive. The complete Nova system with 3 stage whole house filters and the softener system is around $1,600.00. Give them a call and they'll explain it all without giving you a hard sales pitch.
Agree, I am using them to put in my system.
Old 09-12-2019, 09:58 AM

Thank you all for the helpful and positive responses. I appreciate the help and detailed information.
Closed Thread

Tags
sink, fixtures, shower, stoppers, white

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.