Thoughts about Proposed Property Tax Increase

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2019, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,071 Times in 2,743 Posts

Does anyone else find it odd that the tax increases are "proposed" and "supposedly" have not yet been voted on as final, yet they are already spending the money earmarked for the new taxes (paving of Morse and Bueno Vista)? Based on this, it appears that the dog and pony show meetings being held are a mere formality and a wast of people's time since the "proposed" tax increases are really a done deal.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:17 AM

Went to the meeting at Savannah last night; unfortunately it was only about 85% full. As you might have expected, they passed the tax increase. There were a number of speakers that gave fabulous options on how to change this but I'm afraid they fell on deaf ears.
I sincerely hope, someone will run against the 3 commissioners up for reelection; they may have Morse money behind them but I firmly believe there are enough ****ed off citizens to vote them out.
Please sign the petition to repeal Sumter One which means that each district will vote for and elect their county commissioner; that will make them accountable to each district.
Old 09-11-2019, 06:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

This month's POA Bulletin has, as usual, a very good in-depth article....regarding the increase and the 'supposed' reasons behind it.

You can also now receive the Bulletin, with or without being a paid member...by e-mail every month.

The POA is the best $10 a year, a TV resident...will ever spend.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

They say that misery loves company. I guess it's true because I already feel better about my outrageous Lake County tax bill.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:03 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

Sounds like a done deal to me. Time to move on IMHO.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:09 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Does anyone else find it odd that the tax increases are "proposed" and "supposedly" have not yet been voted on as final, yet they are already spending the money earmarked for the new taxes (paving of Morse and Bueno Vista)? Based on this, it appears that the dog and pony show meetings being held are a mere formality and a wast of people's time since the "proposed" tax increases are really a done deal.

They are spending money from the approved 2019/2020 budget.

The budget was approved months ago, the complainers missed the boat.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:35 AM
Veteran member

They haven't raised the taxes forever and cities need money to work. If you don't like it...move. I'd rather pay a little more and have nice roads etc.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
They are spending money from the approved 2019/2020 budget.

The budget was approved months ago, the complainers missed the boat.

But there will be another one leaving that they can miss shortly!
Old 09-11-2019, 11:33 AM

It is obvious that they committed to lots more money than they can raise. The state of Florida caps how much they can raise taxes on Florida residents. So they are going to attack their short fall by raising the tax revenues. This is prime for an injunction and court case. I am sure there are limits to what the commission can commit to without voter approval. There certainly should be for obvious reasons. I am not against a bond issue for infrastructure improvements, but it should be handled that way, a voter approved bond issue over a period of time. Yes the amount of tax you pay increases, but not the rate. Large one time payments are just that. They should not cause a rate increase forever. Increasing the rate is the easiest way to handle their bad deal from the commissioners point of view. It is not the best from the tax payers point of view. It does not allow the tax payer a say in large expenditures like this. For this reason, we should make our displeasure clear. I will not vote for an incumbent and would like to see them resign now so we can get a fresh start on a solution to their massive mistake.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:37 PM

At the meeting last night there were some great examples of different ways to handle the increased expenses, along with great questions. None of which were addressed by the Commissioners. Some of the questions asked by the public who read the 300 page budget were great. I was looking at the commissioners during those questions and to me the commissioners had QUESTIONING LOOKS ON THEIR FACE LIKE THEY JUST GLANCE OVER THE 300 PAGE BUDGET. Some also had embarrassing looks on their face when the subject of accepting anything from the Developer came up.

The POA should start a grassroots uprising and get a slate of individuals to run against these guys. A POOL OF MONEY SHOULD BE ACCUMULATED TO START A LAWSUIT.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:45 PM
Default Golf Cart Bridges

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_vermilya View Post
my thoughts,...I am not pleased that the reason for the justification for the raise is only to benefit the growth south of 44. I personally do not like that we are expanding their in the first place, and won't gain any benefits from it..taxes should only be raised for those living south of 44. Just my opinion
Totally agree with you.. Developer chose to purchase all that land which appears to be larger than the entire existing Villages. With so much across the Florida Turnpike. IMO there is absolutely no way our Sumter County property taxes should be paying one cent for the multiple golf cart bridges on the turnpike and Rte 44.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg View Post

The POA should start a grassroots uprising and get a slate of individuals to run against these guys. A POOL OF MONEY SHOULD BE ACCUMULATED TO START A LAWSUIT.

Basis of lawsuit???

Old 09-11-2019, 01:17 PM
Sage

Wasn't the example given: $200,000 home would have an increase of $205/yr.

That's 13% increase. First increase in over 10 years.

Annual increase < 1.3% from last increase.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Wasn't the example given: $200,000 home would have an increase of $205/yr.

That's 13% increase. First increase in over 10 years.

Annual increase < 1.3% from last increase.

That is not how to justify it, just because you think it should be applied retroactively. When you say the tax went up 13 percent you based it on the entire tax bill??, The portion we are fighting is only the "County" part which has gone up (proposed) 28.8 percent.
on my $186,620 home, 2018 Market Value on TRIM Notice,
,not the "Pubic Schools" part which has only gone up (proposed) less that one percent.

Last edited by capecoralbill; 09-11-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:55 PM

Basis for looking into a lawsuit.

To find out if there are any inpropriortys between the Commissioners and the Developer. They sure looked uncomfortable last night when the subject was brought up.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.