Thoughts on Fireplaces

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2012, 01:07 PM
Sage
Default Thoughts on Fireplaces

I noticed some homes have fireplaces. Do people actually use them in the winter or is it just to make it feel like home? Is it something that is important for resale or, for the most part, do people not expect a fireplace in Florida? We are going to build and are trying to consider all aspects. Thanks for any comments.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

In both of our homes here in TV we have had faux fireplaces to add architectural interest to a room and............................to hang our stockings with care.

Some folks have those that add heat. Not used too much I would think.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Sage

Oh I hadn't thought about my stocking...wow. you're right. that is an important aspect to consider.
So are all those fireplaces, non working? Are are there people that actually put in fireplaces? with chimneys?
Old 02-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default We have fireplace with chimney

Used every winter except this one....Not sure there really is a need, just ambiance....
Old 02-19-2012, 03:18 PM
Sage

What are the affiliated costs in building it? There isn't that much wall space in these houses and it takes up a wall. I actually would love one in my bedroom.
selfish me.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 PM
Sage
Default Electric fireplace

We are planning to put an electric fireplace in our "sitting area" we've created. It will throw some heat and it will be nice to watch the "flame" on a cool evening. We will also have a spot to hang our Christmas stockings as well. I just like the look of them. Makes me feel cozy...
Old 02-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Veteran member

Back in the 90's some homes were built with real wood burning fireplaces. That requires the owner to stock wood alongside the home complete with bugs and the possibility of termites, snakes, and other crawlies. Then they switched to building gas firplaces, which was good as long as the neighborhood had gas service. Now the gas burning fireplaces require an underground propane tank with its related maintenance and filling.
A couple of our friends that have the gas burning fireplaces seemed to use them only a few times a year in the beginning and now rarely, if ever, burn them. We have a friend who built a gas fireplace on the lanai and uses it quite often on the chilly nights Nov - Feb. Very pleasant.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:19 PM

We are also thinking about a gas fireplace on lanai. Does anyone have pictures of what they have done? Has anyone else done this and if so are you glad you did?
Old 02-20-2012, 11:44 AM
Gold member

We have an entertainment unit that has a built-in electric fireplace. It does get use in the winter but not too much this winter. Cost less to heat the living room on cold nights using the fireplace instead of heating the whole house and it does look nice when it is on. Friends of ours have a propane fireplace in their living room but rarely use it.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default here is a picture of our fireplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodie View Post
We are also thinking about a gas fireplace on lanai. Does anyone have pictures of what they have done? Has anyone else done this and if so are you glad you did?
The Villages Florida
Old 02-20-2012, 02:39 PM

We have a gas fireplace in the corner of our livingroom. We installed it when we built our house 6 years ago. I love fireplaces. They are fun to decorate at Christmas and add a focal point to a room. We have only used it 7 times this winter because of our mild winter, but in the past winters we have used it a lot. My parents loved to south Florida and they had a beautiful two sided fire place. So even in Florida, fireplaces there are plenty of fireplaces.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.