Thoughts & Observation about the 9/10/2019 Tax Meeting

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2019, 07:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I keep saying that the actual tax increase will not come close to 25%. I am not new here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
We'll see at 6 p.m. tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
What happened?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
After three hours of a public meeting with much outcry by Villagers the TAX INCREASE OF 25% WAS VOTED IN. Ref the online "other news" this morning.
Well I guess someone was wrong! And like most posters here I can well afford to pay it. My concern is for the people that CAN'T! That and the appearance of bad management by Commissioners with questionable loyalty.
Old 10-20-2019, 07:49 PM
Gold member

In simple terms, our taxes have been hiked 25% by the County Commissioners to pay for infrastructure necessitated by the Developer's massive expansion of The Villages. The Commissioners have done this to avoid hiking The Developer's impact fee, which is only $901 per house, compared to $2,600 per house for a builder outside The Villages.

Impact fees are, according to Sumter County's own website, supposed to pay for such infrastructure.

The question becomes, Why did the Commissioners do what they did?
Old 10-20-2019, 07:52 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado Topliss View Post
I am a UK Citizen who purchased my Villages home in 2003 and moved in in Feb 2004 following the building of it. We are only allowed to live in the USA for 6 months per year which is what our visa allows .
I recently received my Trim Notice and it shows that my overall taxes are due to increase from 2648 to 3317 dollars. A 25% increase.

The breakdown is shown as
County 1269 to 1752 Dollars 38%
Schools
State Law 809 to 873 Dollars 7.9%
Local Board 500 to 619 Dollars 24%
Water Management 70 to 73 4.2%

Overall 25%

I am only mentioning this since it appears that several respondents are saying it is not 25% but for me it is.. I accept that since I am not a full time resident I do not get any of the tax off -setting benefits that full time residents enjoy however for me it is 25%
I should have not kept telling my UK neighbours that my property taxes in The Villages had not really seen an increase in all the years we had lived here . In fact they had never reached the level that my sales agent had forecast back in 2003.

We love it in The Villages although I believe that this present proposed tax increase could have been handled in a much more professional way and I must admit that I am in agreement with many of the comments made by the respondents as to ways of reducing the 25% (to me) increase . I am sure all my full time neighbours will take pity on me and provide me a few beers to help me out .
The 25% millage increase applies to the county taxes shown on your TRIM notice, and that 25% applies to everybody. That is apart from any tax increases due to an increase in assessed valuation.
Closed Thread

Tags
commissioners, taxpayers, tax, comments, home

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.